follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 02-12-2018, 04:18 PM   #71
StraightOuttaCanadaEh
Wes

Drives: Artisan Spirits '17 86
Thanked 1,674 Times in 994 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sato View Post
Thanks for everybody's input.... Great thread.

So, if I understand this correctly, these coilovers can be left at stock ride height, and have similar comfort to OEM dampers? I come from a stock 2014 FR-S. My aim is mainly to have a very comfortable (better than OEM if possible) and might lower car a bit in the future but might only do 1” (not at first). These seem like a good set for my goals (might track later, mainly DD), but very worried about handling on crappy roads around here.
no issues with our crappy roads up here and tons of snow and ice
sato (04-13-2018)
Old 04-10-2018, 05:53 PM   #72
MeisterR

Drives: BNR32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Bringing this back up now that we have release the revised ZetaCRD+ with the 5/5 springs rate.
Also, we should have some review with new ClubRace coilovers.

Jerrick
MeisterR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 11:28 PM   #73
NLSP

Drives: 2014 Ultramarine FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Bump.

I'm still rocking them 2.5 years later and still enjoying them. Daily driven, even through winter/snow/salt. No issues to report

Anybody else still running these?
NLSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 12:10 AM   #74
StraightOuttaCanadaEh
Wes

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLSP View Post
Bump.

I'm still rocking them 2.5 years later and still enjoying them. Daily driven, even through winter/snow/salt. No issues to report

Yeah. Not happy with them though. But I have learned from the experience and now when I get something like a KW V3, I’ll REALLY appreciate the difference. Not happy with the damping but these are entry level after all.
Old 02-02-2020, 03:36 AM   #75
NLSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanadaEh View Post
Yeah. Not happy with them though. But I have learned from the experience and now when I get something like a KW V3, I’ll REALLY appreciate the difference. Not happy with the damping but these are entry level after all.
That's unfortunate. I was actually kinda in the same boat for period of time too, but when I revised by damping settings with relation to my tire pressure and tire load index, it made a pretty significant difference in the ride and handling. So I've come to appreciate them now and realized it was me that didn't dial things in optimally.

What are your damping settings now? And what tire model, size, and pressures are you running?

On the topic of KW's, I previously owned a set of RCE (KW) Tarmac 0's with the optional Swift springs in the past. Going from memory, I don't know if I can say they were worth almost twice the price (for street and occasional autocross at least; don't have track experience with either set). I also didn't want to bother sending them back and forth down to the US for a rebuild when it came time for it, and they were a tad too stiff for me as a daily driver. But I'm sure KW V3 are more street-friendly.

Part of the reason why I went for the MeisterR's was the ability to just buy and replace the shocks when/if the time came, and just to experiment with my first-ever set of "cheap/entry-level" coilovers. So far, I am not disappointed after I dialed things in better.
Old 02-02-2020, 07:18 AM   #76
SuperTom

Drives: C5 Corvette, '17 Toyota 86, Jeep XJ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Bump.

Still rocking mine about the same amount of time.

SInce ive taken ~400lbs off the car I went back and adjusted all the Shock settings to full Negative. The car is less bouncy now.

I also went to slighty change the right height lower. One of my coilovers is/was frozen from turning. Had to remove and keep spraying it with PB blaster. 2 days later it finally freed!
SuperTom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperTom For This Useful Post:
NLSP (02-03-2020)
Old 02-02-2020, 05:22 PM   #77
StraightOuttaCanadaEh
Wes

Quote:
That's unfortunate. I was actually kinda in the same boat for period of time too, but when I revised by damping settings with relation to my tire pressure and tire load index, it made a pretty significant difference in the ride and handling. So I've come to appreciate them now and realized it was me that didn't dial things in optimally.

What are your damping settings now? And what tire model, size, and pressures are you running?

On the topic of KW's, I previously owned a set of RCE (KW) Tarmac 0's with the optional Swift springs in the past. Going from memory, I don't know if I can say they were worth almost twice the price (for street and occasional autocross at least; don't have track experience with either set). I also didn't want to bother sending them back and forth down to the US for a rebuild when it came time for it, and they were a tad too stiff for me as a daily driver. But I'm sure KW V3 are more street-friendly.

Part of the reason why I went for the MeisterR's was the ability to just buy and replace the shocks when/if the time came, and just to experiment with my first-ever set of "cheap/entry-level" coilovers. So far, I am not disappointed after I dialed things in better.
Can’t remember. I tried full soft, full hard, middle, a couple clicks above/below middle. Making them stiffer helps with constant radius turn movement but then the ride is too harsh. Too soft and it’s keeps squirming side to side. I tried lowering the tire pressure to 34 psi and it did help a bit but then I’m losing that off the line acceleration. I ran 3 different tires and all 3 have issues, including the winter. The grippier the tire is, the worse the coils perform.

What’s your setup?
Old 02-03-2020, 12:02 AM   #78
NLSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanadaEh View Post
Can’t remember. I tried full soft, full hard, middle, a couple clicks above/below middle. Making them stiffer helps with constant radius turn movement but then the ride is too harsh. Too soft and it’s keeps squirming side to side. I tried lowering the tire pressure to 34 psi and it did help a bit but then I’m losing that off the line acceleration. I ran 3 different tires and all 3 have issues, including the winter. The grippier the tire is, the worse the coils perform.

What’s your setup?
Currently 19 clicks away from full hard front & rear. Tire pressure set at 31psi front & rear on a tire with a 96XL load index.
The Following User Says Thank You to NLSP For This Useful Post:
SuperTom (02-03-2020)
Old 02-03-2020, 07:48 AM   #79
StraightOuttaCanadaEh
Wes

Quote:
Currently 19 clicks away from full hard front & rear. Tire pressure set at 31psi front & rear on a tire with a 96XL load index.
Yeah that’s way too low. With that kind of pressure the car feels sluggish.

Tags
coilovers, meisterr, suspension