follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Old 02-17-2018, 07:12 PM   #1
spike021

Drives: '17 Limited BRZ CWP w/ PP
Thanked 6,466 Times in 3,205 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Drambeenie 2017 Spoiler Risers

Preface:

@Drambeenie’s been working on this project since.. approximately last May. Over the past 7-8 months it’s been awesome to see all of his progress as well as his requests for feedback from the community on different parts of the design. As the months went on he didn’t shy away from explaining prototypes or issues. While I was visiting NY back in October, he was gracious enough to take time out of his day to let me come by to check out the latest prototype installed on his car. I was very appreciative as this was before I’d even decided definitively that I’d be backing the project and buying a set for my BRZ; I wasn’t even a guaranteed buyer, though I’d been following the project for months by then. This only confirmed how serious he was about the project.

Review:

Arguably the biggest plus to supporting this project and placing an order for my own set was that Drambeenie (Stephen) was communicative with all of us as frequently as possible. Just about once a week and occasionally once every couple weeks he would send us an email update, some of which included a photo of the current progress of production. He also readily responded to any of my messages with a random question or two and was quite re-assuring throughout.

This level of transparency, especially for what amounted to a one-man production operation, really earned my respect.

The risers were finally shipped this month (February 2018 in case you’re reading this in the future).

They arrived in a single business day, which was great. The box looked like this:

While I actually lost the photos of the parts in the box, I’ll mention that they were packaged with great care, as each were wrapped in very soft, cushion-y packing material or a bubble-wrap bag and surrounded by a box-full of packing peanuts.

So, my friends and I got to work on the install:

The cores were incredibly solid and sturdy. We each checked them out and the construction looked to be of a high standard, which just reinforced what I’d personally been hearing and seeing throughout the process.

As for the install, the new riser cores basically snapped right into place with the OEM cores and into the new riser shells. If I didn’t know any better I’d say the quality was nearly OEM quality, if not better.

The install took us about two hours, though it probably would’ve taken about an hour if not for a couple small hiccups.

The instructions were fantastic for just about all the steps for removing the OEM parts. Though the one issue in particular that caused us some problems was the re-installation of the spoiler to the trunk. You can go to the main thread for some alternative methods of doing this step, which I’d recommend.

Link: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...118428&page=26

As of today, it’s been about five days since the install. I’ve driven at highway speeds and also at slower speeds, but quicker acceleration, I’ve also gone onto very bumpy roads with dips, pebbles, ripples- basically whatever disturbance you can think of. I haven’t heard any rattle from the back. Every time I check it out, the risers are very sturdy with pretty much no vibration or wobble except perhaps a relatively small amount when closing the trunk (but I think that’s simply because the OEM risers had the small rubber thing in the middle that dampened extra vibrations like this).

The look of the car is so much more improved. Not only that, but after installation the risers look nigh-identical to stock, save for the small, barely-noticeable Drambeenie logo tucked somewhat into the corner of each riser’s corner with the spoiler.

All in all, I’m really glad that I backed this project and ordered a set for my car. It has greatly improved the look at low cost to the car (no drilling or otherwise permanent changes to the trunk).

There also weren’t any significant issues with the kit or installation. My only minor nitpicks are:

* It might be useful to change the step in the instructions for re-installing the risers to the spoiler and the spoiler to the trunk (as mentioned before) for ease of re-alignment
* I think Drambeenie decided to skip the small patch/cover for the dimple on the trunk, so for now I’ve kept the ugly, yellowing OEM clear thing on but I’ll have to figure something else out
* Lastly, he unfortunately didn't mention that fresh paint/clear coat requires outgassing.. and I may have waxed the new risers too early. So far I haven't noticed any issues, but I'll be keeping an eye on it (might be worth it to include this in the instructions or something). Just not something I would've thought about since I don't do anything with paint like this myself so I didn't know about it.

Also, special thanks for @tehShirt for some extra advice and help as well as testing one of the original prototypes on his car.

Some additional photos of my BRZ with the new risers in daylight:

https://imgur.com/a/TeYnT

Thanks again, Stephen, for putting so much time and effort into getting these right! Glad I got these!
spike021 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to spike021 For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (02-17-2018), derekbrz24 (02-17-2018), Drambeenie (02-17-2018), johan (02-19-2018), Tcoat (02-18-2018), tehShirt (02-17-2018), TofuJoe (02-18-2018)
Old 02-18-2018, 02:19 PM   #2
mjanmohammad

Drives: Boosted 2017 BRZ PP. GT2860RS, JDL.
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by spike021 View Post
Preface:

@Drambeenie’s been working on this project since.. approximately last May. Over the past 7-8 months it’s been awesome to see all of his progress as well as his requests for feedback from the community on different parts of the design. As the months went on he didn’t shy away from explaining prototypes or issues. While I was visiting NY back in October, he was gracious enough to take time out of his day to let me come by to check out the latest prototype installed on his car. I was very appreciative as this was before I’d even decided definitively that I’d be backing the project and buying a set for my BRZ; I wasn’t even a guaranteed buyer, though I’d been following the project for months by then. This only confirmed how serious he was about the project.

Review:

Arguably the biggest plus to supporting this project and placing an order for my own set was that Drambeenie (Stephen) was communicative with all of us as frequently as possible. Just about once a week and occasionally once every couple weeks he would send us an email update, some of which included a photo of the current progress of production. He also readily responded to any of my messages with a random question or two and was quite re-assuring throughout.

This level of transparency, especially for what amounted to a one-man production operation, really earned my respect.

The risers were finally shipped this month (February 2018 in case you’re reading this in the future).

They arrived in a single business day, which was great. The box looked like this:

While I actually lost the photos of the parts in the box, I’ll mention that they were packaged with great care, as each were wrapped in very soft, cushion-y packing material or a bubble-wrap bag and surrounded by a box-full of packing peanuts.

So, my friends and I got to work on the install:

The cores were incredibly solid and sturdy. We each checked them out and the construction looked to be of a high standard, which just reinforced what I’d personally been hearing and seeing throughout the process.

As for the install, the new riser cores basically snapped right into place with the OEM cores and into the new riser shells. If I didn’t know any better I’d say the quality was nearly OEM quality, if not better.

The install took us about two hours, though it probably would’ve taken about an hour if not for a couple small hiccups.

The instructions were fantastic for just about all the steps for removing the OEM parts. Though the one issue in particular that caused us some problems was the re-installation of the spoiler to the trunk. You can go to the main thread for some alternative methods of doing this step, which I’d recommend.

Link: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...118428&page=26

As of today, it’s been about five days since the install. I’ve driven at highway speeds and also at slower speeds, but quicker acceleration, I’ve also gone onto very bumpy roads with dips, pebbles, ripples- basically whatever disturbance you can think of. I haven’t heard any rattle from the back. Every time I check it out, the risers are very sturdy with pretty much no vibration or wobble except perhaps a relatively small amount when closing the trunk (but I think that’s simply because the OEM risers had the small rubber thing in the middle that dampened extra vibrations like this).

The look of the car is so much more improved. Not only that, but after installation the risers look nigh-identical to stock, save for the small, barely-noticeable Drambeenie logo tucked somewhat into the corner of each riser’s corner with the spoiler.

All in all, I’m really glad that I backed this project and ordered a set for my car. It has greatly improved the look at low cost to the car (no drilling or otherwise permanent changes to the trunk).

There also weren’t any significant issues with the kit or installation. My only minor nitpicks are:

* It might be useful to change the step in the instructions for re-installing the risers to the spoiler and the spoiler to the trunk (as mentioned before) for ease of re-alignment
* I think Drambeenie decided to skip the small patch/cover for the dimple on the trunk, so for now I’ve kept the ugly, yellowing OEM clear thing on but I’ll have to figure something else out
* Lastly, he unfortunately didn't mention that fresh paint/clear coat requires outgassing.. and I may have waxed the new risers too early. So far I haven't noticed any issues, but I'll be keeping an eye on it (might be worth it to include this in the instructions or something). Just not something I would've thought about since I don't do anything with paint like this myself so I didn't know about it.

Also, special thanks for @tehShirt for some extra advice and help as well as testing one of the original prototypes on his car.

Some additional photos of my BRZ with the new risers in daylight:

https://imgur.com/a/TeYnT

Thanks again, Stephen, for putting so much time and effort into getting these right! Glad I got these!

I love mine too!

Both @spike021 and @Drambeenie sent me some instructions that made the install easier, I did the whole install in about 45 minutes by myself.

They look fantastic, and so far I think it's the only CWP car with the matte black risers. The only think the instructions are missing are torque specs, I used the factory specs for the trunk to riser and spoiler to riser, but there isn't anything for the green inner core to the OEM spoiler support.
Old 02-19-2018, 01:34 AM   #3
Brink

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjanmohammad View Post
I love mine too!

Both @spike021 and @Drambeenie sent me some instructions that made the install easier, I did the whole install in about 45 minutes by myself.

They look fantastic, and so far I think it's the only CWP car with the matte black risers. The only think the instructions are missing are torque specs, I used the factory specs for the trunk to riser and spoiler to riser, but there isn't anything for the green inner core to the OEM spoiler support.
Could you share any torque specs you have?
Brink is offline   Reply With Quote