follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA

AUSTRALIA Australia and New Zealand

User Tag List

Old 04-21-2012, 11:45 PM   #43
pr0j

Drives: 2010 Forester X
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
and the whole 50k thing? sometimes I think some of these guys are corporate trolls paid to come here and make posts about how 'lots of people are expecting 50k driveaway and will pay it'. I already called horseshit on that in another thread, as much as we are all salivating over this car, no one in their right mind would pay that much for this, considering many of the closest comparable 'sporty' offerings from other car companies right now are under 25k.

For christ sake, I know its not considered a sporty comparison, but the new Honda Jazz has dual zone climate control, keyless entry, sunroof, sound system, cruise control etc and is under 18k. IMHO it really begs the question...
pr0j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 01:30 AM   #44
Sep

Drives: .
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pr0j View Post
, considering many of the closest comparable 'sporty' offerings from other car companies right now are under 25k.
Please elaborate? Are we talking new cars here?

For your reference regarding what people are willing to pay:

2005 Toyota Celica ZR ZZT231R $46,400 before on roads

2001 Honda Prelude ATTS $50,209 before on roads

There was no shortage of these cars sold and this is before 7-12 years of inflation.

Get real if you think people won't pay close to 50k for this car. Whether its worth it or not is irrelevant. Toyota will set the price to maximize profit. In my eyes a high spec at 40k would be a good buy but I'm not holding my breath.
Sep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 01:56 AM   #45
70NYD

Drives: RX8 S1
Sep I read your shit long enough. Cars you are comparing to are from a long time ago and the Australian dollar was weaker, and the market was less educated of overseas happenings compared to now. You are sounding more and more like a corporate troll, or like some of the dealers I have talked to.
it's small, closed minded thinking like yours that is the problem with so many things In This great country.. You as a dealer are SO lucky that it's hard to import a car here, or your bullshit would go down the drains like it did for all the ripoffs in the elctronics industry, where more and more people are buying from over seas.
If you knew shit about profit you would know that lasting long term profit is made from
many sales, not huge markups from single sales. You get real of you think people will keep paying for something that isnt worth it for years to come
/rant
Old 04-22-2012, 02:13 AM   #46
Devie

Drives: Tornado Grey 86 GTS
This car should be something Toyota is looking at to score customers for life. It is aimed, IMO, at a mid-20's male, with money to burn, no mortgage and no family to pay for.
Things change quickly, women, house, family. Oh shit gotta get rid of the sports car. Lets get a nice new 4DR Toyota (maybe the rumored 86 chasis). People stick to brands they know, people begin to be massive fanboys of their brands. Dammit Toyota, don't ruin this opportunity by pricing yourselves out making us buy a second hand WRX instead.

Kinda OT but eh.
Devie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 02:37 AM   #47
Sep

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70NYD View Post
Sep I read your shit long enough. Cars you are comparing to are from a long time ago and the Australian dollar was weaker, and the market was less educated of overseas happenings compared to now. You are sounding more and more like a corporate troll, or like some of the dealers I have talked to.
it's small, closed minded thinking like yours that is the problem with so many things In This great country.. You as a dealer are SO lucky that it's hard to import a car here, or your bullshit would go down the drains like it did for all the ripoffs in the elctronics industry, where more and more people are buying from over seas.
If you knew shit about profit you would know that lasting long term profit is made from
many sales, not huge markups from single sales. You get real of you think people will keep paying for something that isnt worth it for years to come
/rant
Ok lets clear some things up.

Dollar is much stronger than years ago, are cars significantly cheaper? No

Can you bring in new cars in the same way as you can grey import electronics? Not a chance in hell

Are we getting ripped off by importers and local car makers? Yes

I'm just raising some simple points that you clearly have difficulty understanding. Apparently this makes me a car dealer.

If Toyota wanted every last person with a 323 Astina to own a new 86, they wouldn't be targeting this car to people with a 150k household income. Maybe consider something like a Mazda 3, might be within your budget.
Sep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 02:56 AM   #48
Netrosis

Drives: n/a
Guys I think this arguing is going a bit offtopic, something I'd really like to avoid in this thread.
Netrosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 02:57 AM   #49
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Drives: Mk3 Supra with Semi-built 7MGTE
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sep View Post

Can you bring in new cars in the same way as you can grey import electronics? Not a chance in hell

I'm just raising some simple points that you clearly have difficulty understanding. Apparently this makes me a car dealer.

If Toyota wanted every last person with a 323 Astina to own a new 86, they wouldn't be targeting this car to people with a 150k household income. Maybe consider something like a Mazda 3, might be within your budget.
But why is it only Toyota Australia that is claiming to target wealthier demographics? It sounds like marketing BS to justify some more ass-raping. 70NY's pointing out that more people are becoming aware of that molestation and likely so are your dealers, or at least corporate. And you shouldn't play the apologist.

In Canada Subaru likes non-consentual bum sex with us (WRX is ~30% more than the US) but the BRZ csme in at only ~8% more. Granted we have a little better situation because Scion/Toyota decided to price fairly, but Subaru has done a good job c0ck blocking us from US imports in the past.

I think the message from Toyota is to get this car out to youth. The fact that Aus isn't playing along could change with pressure both from consumers and Japan.

Because titanium.
Dimman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 03:02 AM   #50
70NYD

Drives: RX8 S1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sep View Post

I have a rx8.. And I fall well over this household budget they are targeting..
Mazda 3 is the best selling car last year and the 323 was a great car when released (I had one during uni)
You didn't really understand my post, so I'm not going to try to dumb it down.
Have fun
(ps to a average buyer, a Mazda 3 will have more to offer )
Old 04-22-2012, 03:16 AM   #51
Egyptn
GEEEEEEE T

Drives: White 86GT
Wish Toyota would just release pricing already all this shit talk is so boring.

Rumor has it pricing will be announced 8/6/2012 Andrew from Mosmon Toyota told me as part of the launch.
Egyptn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 05:03 AM   #52
JFC

Drives: 2015 86, 2015 Evo X
Very off topic gang for this thread, each to their own opinion and beliefs and thus we should respect that.

But unless you have information as the topic states then i suggest discussions in the other pricing thread.

Confirmation True: Are there trolls either employees of Toyota/Subaru or hired by them to look online and through forums, absolutely

Oh and people please, just because you dont see it on a Toyota/Subaru letter head doesn't make it true or false, just not official.

If your wanting official info then wait for the ad on tv like i am.
JFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 05:06 AM   #53
Ballsak2nv

Drives: Aurion
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFC View Post
Very off topic gang for this thread, each to their own opinion and beliefs and thus we should respect that.

But unless you have information as the topic states then i suggest discussions in the other pricing thread.

Confirmation True: Are there trolls either employees of Toyota/Subaru or hired by them to look online and through forums, absolutely

Oh and people please, just because you dont see it on a Toyota/Subaru letter head doesn't make it true or false, just not official.

If your wanting official info then wait for the ad on tv like i am.
Ive been watching your for a while you sneeky shit

Spill your beans already.
Ballsak2nv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 05:10 AM   #54
Nardi330

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballsak2nv View Post
Spill your beans already.
x2 :happy0180: