follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 05-15-2014, 11:51 PM   #1
Dezoris

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 2,997 Times in 1,095 Posts
Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
OEM Snorkle and Rad Shroud Question

I am in the process of taking the front apart again to finally grind down headlights, Vortech bracket, to clear more room for oil lines and pipe clearance.

I had a leak from the fittings on my oil lines which is related to basically being pressed against the Vortech airbox bracket. So I have new lines, drained the mocal cooler and going to send a 7000 mile UOA of the redline 0w20.
@Brian@Vortech

QUESTION 1

The instructions do not call for installing the intake box snorkle. I have seen some people do it. I did not because its not in the instructions
This plastic shroud, does it have a purpose or can it be removed to reduce radiant heat? Will it help or hurt removing it?

QUESTION 2

Is there any options for a snorkle that wont jack up tuning from the airbox or does it not even matter?

Old 05-16-2014, 12:02 AM   #2
Dustin
Twin Screw You

Drives: 2013 Supercharged Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I removed the shroud. I don't think it helps or hurts with removing it. I never noticed a difference after it was gone.
Dustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 01:38 PM   #3
HRTROB

Drives: Toyota 86
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
According to Perrin, removing the radiator shroud is a bad idea:http://blog.perrinperformance.com/br...design-part-2/

Quote:
The next test was removing the plastic air diverter which rests between the fresh air scoop and the lower portion of the bumper. This part is installed to help block some of the air from blowing up and around the radiator. With the diverter removed, there was a nice steady noticeable amount of air flow coming from the scoop at 1.5MPH. This sounds like it would be a great way to make our intake system get a little more flow and cool air, or would it…

After testing this on the road, we found this was a really bad idea. The added pressure and airflow while driving at 45MPH or more would cause the car to run poorly and actually die if you push in the clutch! So the plastic diverter got re-installed and the PERRIN intake would be designed around utilizing this part.
I would think that the air turbulence created when removing the shroud is negligible since we are FI but I still left mine in place, along with the stock snorkel.

For your second question, the HKS snorkel should work without requiring a retune. Keep us posted with your results!
HRTROB is offline   Reply With Quote