follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 11-16-2018, 12:16 PM   #15
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I had bad experience NVH wise with camberplates. IF these will work well without bearing binding, they might be nice part to be used together with camberbolts, for total front camber to reach more trackworthy values, thanks for bringing these up.
Just that i'm not sure if these are not something rebranded from whiteline (whose com-c of similar purpose/design frequently failed when used on twins, and after several revisions they delisted twins from compatibility list of those).
As for which car .. click around product page. I see there BRZ & FRS listed too in Applications tab.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to churchx For This Useful Post:
Jamestl (11-16-2018)
Old 11-16-2018, 12:30 PM   #16
ZionsWrath
Thanks

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 3,100 Times in 1,498 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
I had bad experience NVH wise with camberplates. IF these will work well without bearing binding, they might be nice part to be used together with camberbolts, for total front camber to reach more trackworthy values, thanks for bringing these up.
Just that i'm not sure if these are not something rebranded from whiteline (whose com-c of similar purpose/design frequently failed when used on twins, and after several revisions they delisted twins from compatibility list of those).
As for which car .. click around product page. I see there BRZ & FRS listed too in Applications tab.
What camber plates did you have?

With Raceseng cascam I didn't have any issues with noise but it did make the ride a little rougher in the front end.
Old 11-16-2018, 12:46 PM   #17
churchx

Raceseng too. I used them with stock shocks and local roads are terrible though. It's possible that with good aftermarket shocks and on roads with less road pavement defects they should work reasonably well, but i got tired hearing heartbreaking sounding hits on front of car/suspension on several occasions or minding to steer around most known bad spots on routes i frequently drove or to try different ways to try to fix (like double ensuring tightened strut top bolt, dialing most camber at lower mount, and only some at plate), so i gave up and reverted to rubber topmounts. On good roads/track there was acceptable/only very slight increase in harshness, thus i guess that they will work well for most living in civilized world . But whenever pavement had defect that would make wheel move up quickly (eg. bumps around some drainage hatches, some metallic pavement "connectors"(?) on bridges, some roadholes with sharp edges, a bit higher new pavement patch beginning in road construction area), i got loud hit sounds like dropped toolbox on concrete floor, even if pavement defect seemed not high enough to hit bumpstops.
Old 11-16-2018, 03:42 PM   #18
Jamestl

Drives: None
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
Hmm this is interesting. I never knew that a similar (same?) product was offered by Whiteline for the WRX and that they were advertised for the twins previously... The fact that the Pedders' product fits WRX then gives me a lot of pause.

Will likely pass on this. Thanks #Churchx and #Summerwolf for the background info! Very helpful and what I was looking for.
Jamestl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 04:35 PM   #19
churchx

Jamestl: search via google for Whiteline Com-C adding to search terms site:ft86club.com , there well be several threads on it.

In short, maybe due strut angle on twins that made unacceptable sideloads, maybe due spring perch touching outside of bearing (but people tried with washers/modified spring perches and they still failed), bearings had tendency soon to bind (sooner for those that tracked), thus resulting in noise when turning wheel, as spring on turn skipped, making worse steering, and wear on spring/strut. Whiteline tried some revisions with different bearings, but none was confirmed to fix issue in long run. People ended up with refund and delisting twins from compatible applications. Those that wanted rubber top mounts, reverted to stock, or group N ones, both non eccentric unfortunately. Those that needed camber adjustment at topmount, got camberplates. Both options fixed binding topmount bearing. Some shops still list/sell W.Com-Cs (KCA335) as for twins, but you've been warned. Supposedly they work with more success/less failures on imprezas (maybe due their heavier front, maybe due different strut angle, who knows), providing extra camber for those that want to compromise NVH less.
At the end i ended up using rubber top mounts + camberbolts in both holes + powerflex eccentric bushing in front LCA, with ~-3dg front camber at stock height. But would have preferred Com-Cs + camberbolts .. if they had worked .

Last edited by churchx; 11-16-2018 at 04:50 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to churchx For This Useful Post:
Summerwolf (11-17-2018)