follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 03-08-2018, 12:57 AM   #253
jiaim

Drives: Enthusiast
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
weird it seems it's gone.
jiaim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 05:27 PM   #254
ka-titties

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
They corrected it. 50% off on all intercooler parts.
ka-titties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 03:16 PM   #255
jiaim

Drives: Enthusiast
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ka-titties View Post
They corrected it. 50% off on all intercooler parts.
seen that, bummer
jiaim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 10:53 AM   #256
Evil Rocky

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I went looking for it and no luck seeing anything for the turbo kit.
Evil Rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 03:19 PM   #257
kmbkk
First 86 Driver Baby!

Drives: FR-S, Flex
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
I haven't provided an update in a while, so here goes. I'm just over 77K miles on my car now, about 75K on the kit. I still haven't had ANY issues with the kit. I recently installed the JDL front/over pipe combo (3" catted) and it bolts up perfectly. I plan on installing and tuning an E85 kit (PTuning) in a couple of weeks. Once I get it completed I'll provide an update on the kit with E85!
kmbkk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kmbkk For This Useful Post:
Joveen (09-30-2019)
Old 10-01-2019, 01:01 AM   #258
thinkV

Drives: BRZ Turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmbkk View Post
I haven't provided an update in a while, so here goes. I'm just over 77K miles on my car now, about 75K on the kit. I still haven't had ANY issues with the kit. I recently installed the JDL front/over pipe combo (3" catted) and it bolts up perfectly. I plan on installing and tuning an E85 kit (PTuning) in a couple of weeks. Once I get it completed I'll provide an update on the kit with E85!
I think your kit might be the exception as your maf pipe is a little different to the current kit is that right? The airflow is quite bad at low rpm and traffic, causes quite high trims and jumpiness. The maf position is on a bend
thinkV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 01:04 AM   #259
solidsnake11

Drives: brz
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
Look into the Chrysler ppg m4s. 2.2 litre 4 banger twin turbo made 475hp...

Spool with two smaller turbo is always quicker

Jaden
Spool is directly related to exhaust volume. Twin turbos cut it in half. True built twin scrolls also cut it in half. With twins you can get the turbo closer to the head which reduces exhaust volume further. Oem's know this but they don't explain it to the general public.

Has little to do with smaller turbo size efficiency.
solidsnake11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 07:34 PM   #260
Amputechture

Drives: 2014 BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkV View Post
I think your kit might be the exception as your maf pipe is a little different to the current kit is that right? The airflow is quite bad at low rpm and traffic, causes quite high trims and jumpiness. The maf position is on a bend
Bummer man, I have the original version of the JDL auto kit. The MAF positioning is garbage...low speed driveability leaves much to be desired. Someone suggested putting a honeycomb air straightener in the charge pipe...ever heard of this?
Old 10-01-2019, 07:54 PM   #261
solidsnake11

Drives: brz
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amputechture View Post
Bummer man, I have the original version of the JDL auto kit. The MAF positioning is garbage...low speed driveability leaves much to be desired. Someone suggested putting a honeycomb air straightener in the charge pipe...ever heard of this?
A lot of Oem mafs have a screens on the (in) side of the maf. Actually I think the stock air box has air straighteners in it, if I remember correctly. Maybe someone can confirm.
You could move the maf sensor to a straighter section and weld it. I bought the maf mount off ebay. Just drill a hole and weld it on or have it welded.
solidsnake11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 09:02 PM   #262
thinkV

Quote:
I have considered this, similar situation. But also i just dont know if I can go through the trouble and effort of tuning it again.. have had so many issues I am tired. It runs now, my trims are a bit crazy, but its on target.
The Following User Says Thank You to thinkV For This Useful Post:
Amputechture (10-01-2019)
Old 10-01-2019, 09:19 PM   #263
Amputechture

Quote:
I have considered this, similar situation. But also i just dont know if I can go through the trouble and effort of tuning it again.. have had so many issues I am tired. It runs now, my trims are a bit crazy, but its on target.
I hear you man, it's a daunting task to throw more variables into the mix. I've been through the gauntlet with this car myself. For the most part, I know how to 'drive around' my areas that buck and hesitate but there are few situations even when throttle input is at steady state at highway speeds that my car bucks. I tell myself that it's not worth going through the hassle...and then everytime I drove a stock twin I think "god damn this car drives flawlessly". I love my powerband but having the shoddy MAF really ruins a lot of the driving experience.
Old 10-01-2019, 09:26 PM   #264
Amputechture

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidsnake11 View Post
A lot of Oem mafs have a screens on the (in) side of the maf. Actually I think the stock air box has air straighteners in it, if I remember correctly. Maybe someone can confirm.
You could move the maf sensor to a straighter section and weld it. I bought the maf mount off ebay. Just drill a hole and weld it on or have it welded.
I don't have any straight section....the "straightest" section would be right up by the throttle plate which is not ideal either because the valve motion will cause turbulence. I'm considering just taking my car to a reputable fabricator and seeing if they can make something happen. I don't believe it's just about the MAF being on a bend...it's that it's on a bend plus there is a diameter change in charge piping/plus a nearly 90 degree turn that the pipe smaller in diameter takes to get to the charge pipe. All of the SBD/Greddy/HKS/JDL V2/Blitz/HKS/Zage style kits maf position is not that much different than mine is honestly. But they all have a very flat pipe coming out of the cold side of the intercooler feeding the charge pipe. I believe this has a lot to do with it also.
Old 10-01-2019, 09:53 PM   #265
thinkV

Quote:
I hear you man, it's a daunting task to throw more variables into the mix. I've been through the gauntlet with this car myself. For the most part, I know how to 'drive around' my areas that buck and hesitate but there are few situations even when throttle input is at steady state at highway speeds that my car bucks. I tell myself that it's not worth going through the hassle...and then everytime I drove a stock twin I think "god damn this car drives flawlessly". I love my powerband but having the shoddy MAF really ruins a lot of the driving experience.
It's a real shame that these kits aren't tested for this, I've come so far now, with so many revisions that I just need to "be happy". After a blown motor and a million issues, the car is better than it ever was. To go and have somebody make up another pipe that may have same issues isn't worth it for me anymore.

I've reached a point where if it isn't detrimental to my engine, it's not a problem, driving experience is gone. I am privileged to have never driven a stock 86 so i can't compare.....
Old 10-02-2019, 06:47 PM   #266
kmbkk
First 86 Driver Baby!

Drives: FR-S, Flex
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Yep, mine is the original kit. Not sure why they changed the MAF position tbh.
kmbkk is offline   Reply With Quote