follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 01-14-2019, 03:14 PM   #29
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,093 Times in 2,044 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Friend of mine scheduled his BRZ. They scheduled him a date of August 2019. I'm the only FRS at the Toyota dealership closest to me. Mine is already in the shop. We'll see how this goes!

I think this is largely due to Subaru having such a wild amount of cars they're recalling, vs Toyota just having the Scion FR-S to deal with. There's a lot more prep involved to handling a recall with hundreds of thousands of cars, vs just one model that hardly sold well compared to other inventory. There will be armies of trained master techs, sent on missions around the country! Doing justice to the valve springs AROUND THE NATION!!!! THERE SHALL BE NO WEAKNESS, SAID SUBARU! Ok, no more coffee today.
DarkPira7e is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DarkPira7e For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (01-14-2019)
Old 01-14-2019, 03:15 PM   #30
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesallen45 View Post
I have a 2013 FRS that is part of the valve spring recall. The car has already been in a shop since October. It stalled and was found to have broken rocker arms and bent valves. The shop could not say exactly how it happened. It has around 50k miles. I will attempt to have Toyota reimburse me for the repairs. I am wondering if anyone has heard of catastrophic engine failure because of this issue. We definitely had a failure of some kind in the heads. I was told it is very difficult to know exactly what caused the failure because so many things broke as a result. Hard to determine what failed first.
List of broken components:
bent valves
cracked valve guides
cracked springs
possible cracked heads (still being evaluated)
broken tooth on crank gear
crank gear cracked through
pistons dented or gouged

See question 8 attached. Your damage is completely possible from a failed spring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foobar View Post
Hey all, been a while since I've been actively posting. Just got my recall notice over the weekend. I'm gonna hold off and wait until the Spring before I do anything as the BRZ's tucked away for the winter, and I want to see how others are treated that have extensive mods (Supercharger).

For reference, VIN is 2143
See question 7

https://techinfo.toyota.com/techInfo...p/j02tofaq.pdf
Cesium Rainbow (01-17-2019)
Old 01-14-2019, 03:17 PM   #31
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPira7e View Post
Friend of mine scheduled his BRZ. They scheduled him a date of August 2019. I'm the only FRS at the Toyota dealership closest to me. Mine is already in the shop. We'll see how this goes!

I think this is largely due to Subaru having such a wild amount of cars they're recalling, vs Toyota just having the Scion FR-S to deal with. There's a lot more prep involved to handling a recall with hundreds of thousands of cars, vs just one model that hardly sold well compared to other inventory. There will be armies of trained master techs, sent on missions around the country! Doing justice to the valve springs AROUND THE NATION!!!! THERE SHALL BE NO WEAKNESS, SAID SUBARU! Ok, no more coffee today.
The fact that the instructions are so well done that a 10 year old with access to the right tools could probably do the work won't hurt either.
DarkPira7e (01-14-2019)
Old 01-14-2019, 03:44 PM   #32
shiumai

Drives: 2013 DGM BRZ, 2020 C8 Corvette
Thanked 1,893 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foobar View Post
Hey all, been a while since I've been actively posting. Just got my recall notice over the weekend. I'm gonna hold off and wait until the Spring before I do anything as the BRZ's tucked away for the winter, and I want to see how others are treated that have extensive mods (Supercharger).

For reference, VIN is 2143

I started a thread here for us that are in the same boat:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132418
shiumai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 04:06 PM   #33
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,907 Times in 11,362 Posts
Mentioned: 181 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
That's scary ….

humfrz

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
BlueWhelan (01-23-2019), DarkPira7e (01-14-2019), humfrz (01-14-2019), Ultramaroon (01-16-2019)
Old 01-14-2019, 05:26 PM   #34
Faulkner

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I just contacted my dealer today and they sent this link to check your VIN: https://www.toyota.com/recall?srchid...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Mine came out clean
Faulkner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 04:38 PM   #35
MotoRider42HC

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Exclamation Help!

Question for anyone who has actually had the recall completed...

Would you be willing to share a copy of your invoice from the Dealership showing all the labor breakdown and parts breakdowns?

I'm going to fix my vehicle myself and Toyota is refusing to reimburse me for the repairs unless i provide an "itemized and detailed invoice" that "shows all labor performed" and "all parts used".

Thanks guys!!!

Note: Yes i am new to forum, but i've owned, modified and raced my FR-S for three+ years now.

Thanks in advance for the help, guys!
MotoRider42HC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 12:31 AM   #36
CamoFRS

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
I just got my letter in the mail yesterday. Called my nearest dealership and was able to get the recall service scheduled for the first week of February. They said it will take a week, so I asked for a loaner car during that time and they said they'd give me one. Just something to push for if your car is on the recall list.

So, I have a customer account with the dealership and their parts department sends out an automated email whenever parts are ordered against your account. This afternoon I got an email saying that my "SPRING VALVE KIT", part no. SU003-08062, has been ordered. After a quick google search I was able to find the PDF with the instructions for the safety recall. You can find it by going to the link below:

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/201...8V772-1294.pdf

The kit is sold by several dealerships for ~$100, but that's because it's mainly the springs and the seals that get replaced when you access the springs. The work involved with getting to them is pretty extensive.

Hopefully this helps!

Last edited by CamoFRS; 01-17-2019 at 11:45 AM. Reason: wrote "seals" when I meant to say "springs"
CamoFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CamoFRS For This Useful Post:
Brink (01-17-2019), Takumi788 (01-17-2019)
Old 01-17-2019, 01:48 PM   #37
Cesium Rainbow

Drives: '13 dgm brz
I found this athttps://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2...g-recall.shtml
Quote:
November 8, 2018 — Subaru broken valve springs have caused a recall of more than 165,500 vehicles in the U.S. following complaints about engine noise and stalled engines.
According to Subaru, dealers will need to replace the valve springs in these vehicles.
  • 2012-2014 Subaru Impreza
  • 2012-2013 Subaru Impreza Wagon
  • 2013 Subaru BRZ
  • 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek
  • 2013 Toyota Scion FR-S
Subaru says the valve spring problems go back to 2012 when the automaker received a complaint from Japan about rough idling and strange noises. Engineers investigated and assumed the valve spring broke and fell off, causing the valve to make contact with the piston.
Subaru checked the surface of the broken valve spring but couldn't find any flaws in the material.
In May 2013, Subaru raised the tolerance levels of the valve spring wires and continued to collect failed parts as 11 technical reports were received about stalled engines.
As failed engines were collected, engineers found minor impurities in the valve spring material due to the normal manufacturing process. However, the automaker found changes made to the valve spring tolerance levels in 2013 compensated for the impurity of the material.
As more complaints came in about engine failures from busted valve springs, Subaru conducted an investigation with the spring supplier and determined improper design of the valve trains was primarily causing the busted valve springs.
Subaru doesn't know when the valve spring recall will begin, but concerned owners of the Subaru models may call the automaker at 844-373-6614.
Owners with questions about their 2013 Scion FR-S vehicles may call Toyota at 888-270-9371.
Subaru and Toyota are using recall number WTY-84.

Called the number listed and referenced WTY-84. They picked up quick and promptly looked up the recall. Ran my VIN and confirmed my car is included, but parts will not be available til Feb. Although it sounds like some dealers have already received their allotment.
I then asked if the dealer is required to perform a recall no matter what equipment is on the car because I can't see my dealer (which is the only trustworthy dealer for oem repair I've ever found) touching my supercharged engine with a 10-foot stick, law be damned. That was the only question she had exactly zero answers for.

So...I guess it's time for valvetrain upgrades?

Face =

Wallet =

Add-should probly crosspost this in the above referenced cousin thread
Cesium Rainbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 02:06 PM   #38
jimmer1290
Amateur Car ***ifier

Drives: 2013 FR-S base
Garage
Has anyone had any issues, being rejected because of modifications. My car only has full exhaust, air intake and ecutek tune, i dont believe it should be problem but just checking. Anyone know a good, relaxed Toyota dealer in the Detroit area
jimmer1290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 08:39 AM   #39
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,093 Times in 2,044 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmer1290 View Post
Has anyone had any issues, being rejected because of modifications. My car only has full exhaust, air intake and ecutek tune, i dont believe it should be problem but just checking. Anyone know a good, relaxed Toyota dealer in the Detroit area
I have aftermarket catless headers, BRZedit tune, and an oil cooler. I wasn't questioned. This really will be something that is up to the dealership I think, but your mods don't make working on the car any more difficult. As long as your air intake isn't some nonsensical tunnel that precariously encompasses the entire front opening, I'm sure they won't need much brain work to remove it.
DarkPira7e is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 11:43 AM   #40
MotoRider42HC

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamoFRS View Post
I just got my letter in the mail yesterday. Called my nearest dealership and was able to get the recall service scheduled for the first week of February. They said it will take a week, so I asked for a loaner car during that time and they said they'd give me one. Just something to push for if your car is on the recall list.

So, I have a customer account with the dealership and their parts department sends out an automated email whenever parts are ordered against your account. This afternoon I got an email saying that my "SPRING VALVE KIT", part no. SU003-08062, has been ordered. After a quick google search I was able to find the PDF with the instructions for the safety recall. You can find it by going to the link below:

The kit is sold by several dealerships for ~$100, but that's because it's mainly the springs and the seals that get replaced when you access the springs. The work involved with getting to them is pretty extensive.

Hopefully this helps!
Thank you so much!!! I got a quote for the repair typed-up and will be sending it to Toyota to see if they will reimburse me for the repairs.

Appreciated!!! ^_^
MotoRider42HC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 12:55 PM   #41
Faulkner

Drives: FR-S
Could you put your VIN through this Toyota site and let me know whether or not it says your vin is affected? I put mine through and it says it’s clean but I don’t trust the site. Mines a June ‘13 build

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamoFRS View Post

Hopefully this helps!
Faulkner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 03:49 PM   #42
CamoFRS

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faulkner View Post
Could you put your VIN through this Toyota site and let me know whether or not it says your vin is affected? I put mine through and it says it’s clean but I don’t trust the site. Mines a June ‘13 build
Here's the message that comes up on the Toyota website when I put in my VIN:
Attached Images

CamoFRS is offline   Reply With Quote