follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 08-09-2016, 02:50 AM   #1
Oxyg3n

Drives: 2017 BRZ - WRB
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Perrin Exhaust Owners

I've been debating on getting a Perrin exhaust for awhile but haven't been able to figure out some stuff between the resonated and non-resonated. I've read almost every thread about the exhaust but they don't answer my question clearly enough so I thought I'd make my own.

Just some questions that are coming across my mind:
1. It is well known that the perrin resonated is one of the quieter exhausts compared to all others, but can the same be said for the non-resonated version? (Saw a thread and the non-res actually had the highest max db)

2. I want the deep rumble of the resonated exhaust, but the volume of the non-resonated exhaust. However, since I have not heard them in rl, youtube videos shows hints of rasp during cold starts & high revs for the non-resonated. If actual owners can chime in on this, it would be great.

3. Is the resonated catback itself loud enough to make you stand out when driving around everyday normal cars?

My plan is strictly cat-back only with no plans of headers/overpipe in the future.
Oxyg3n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 03:22 AM   #2
86geek

Drives: 2015 FRS Asphalt
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
I got a Perrin resonated back in June & like it so much that sometimes I don't listen to my tunes. I like listening to my exhaust! LOL! It's a little louder than stock when it needs to be. I've read that the non resonated is louder but got rasp. So if you want loud and to be noticed then get something like Invidia N1, HKS High Power Spec L or a Tomei (single exhaust though). I heard the HKS and it's louder than Perrin. Also got to hear a Tomei and it's LOUD, LOUD. I like the Perrin cause it's low bass rumble & won't piss off my neighbors! Just my 2 cents!

Opti-Coat & Cquartz Finest, Apexi Drop in Filter, 2.5 Perrin Res. Catback Exhaust
86geek is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 86geek For This Useful Post:
Muaddib (08-09-2016)
Old 08-09-2016, 12:00 PM   #3
PERRIN_Chris

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 137 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Send a message via AIM to PERRIN_Chris
Hey Oxg3n,

A simple answer to your question is, if you're buying new, you're getting resonated!

We stopped making the non resonated a while back, so unless you're getting the exhaust used, you're most likely not going to find a non resonated new anywhere.

You didn't mention the size of exhaust that you're looking for. That makes a big difference in sound level. Answer that and I should be able to help you better.

I did the 3" resonated, by itself it sounded awesome, and it was not too loud at all. I live in a neighborhood where I'm the youngest homeowner, and I didn't get any complaints.
PERRIN_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PERRIN_Chris For This Useful Post:
86geek (08-09-2016), funwheeldrive (01-27-2017)
Old 08-09-2016, 01:24 PM   #4
Oxyg3n

Quote:
Originally Posted by PERRIN_Chris View Post
Hey Oxg3n,

A simple answer to your question is, if you're buying new, you're getting resonated!

We stopped making the non resonated a while back, so unless you're getting the exhaust used, you're most likely not going to find a non resonated new anywhere.

You didn't mention the size of exhaust that you're looking for. That makes a big difference in sound level. Answer that and I should be able to help you better.

I did the 3" resonated, by itself it sounded awesome, and it was not too loud at all. I live in a neighborhood where I'm the youngest homeowner, and I didn't get any complaints.
Hey Chris,

I had no idea! I thought stores like ft86speedfactory still sell non-resonated? Mind if I ask what the reason for discontinuing them?

I'm planning to go for the 2.5in cat back only, which is why I'm afraid it will be too quiet. Hard to understand its volume based on people's reviews and YouTube haha.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Old 08-09-2016, 01:58 PM   #5
PERRIN_Chris

Garage
You could try asking them if they have any left, but I don't think they would.

Yeah the 2.5 resonated is pretty quiet, that's why I did the 3" resonated, and to me it sounded perfect when being alone. I added a 2.5" catted front pipe and it got a little louder, but I wouldn't say that it was too loud at all.

With the 2.5" resonated you can still tell of course that you have an aftermarket exhaust.
Old 08-09-2016, 02:09 PM   #6
Oxyg3n

Quote:
You could try asking them if they have any left, but I don't think they would.

Yeah the 2.5 resonated is pretty quiet, that's why I did the 3" resonated, and to me it sounded perfect when being alone. I added a 2.5" catted front pipe and it got a little louder, but I wouldn't say that it was too loud at all.

With the 2.5" resonated you can still tell of course that you have an aftermarket exhaust.
Thanks. With the 2.5 resonated being so quiet, I might add a front pipe. Would you say that adds some volume and more importantly, rasp?

Old 08-09-2016, 02:11 PM   #7
PERRIN_Chris

Garage
I wouldn't say our exhaust is ever raspy, unless you add a header. If you were to add a front pipe, just make sure it's catted, and you'll be good.
The Following User Says Thank You to PERRIN_Chris For This Useful Post:
Oxyg3n (08-09-2016)
Old 08-09-2016, 02:30 PM   #8
JazzleSAURUS

Drives: 15 BRZ LTD, 05 FXT
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Easiest solution, if you like how the Perrin looks and sounds, buy it! Get the resonated version to avoid the rasp, and if you want more volume, get a catted front pipe, or a header.

If you want rumble, which I see you mentioned, I would suggest the perrin 2.5" catted, then add an UEL header, (which is what gives you the rumble sound.) If you want a tiny bit louder, go catted, if you want substantially louder, go catless. Catless will introduce a bit of rasp.
SOLD: 2015 WRB BRZ Limited ('02 WRX BBS, S-04's, Stoptech Sport pads, MXP SP, AVO drop in filter, Mishimoto Intake tube, decatted header, OFT 93 Stage 2 EL Tune, Kartboy rear shifter bushing, Whiteline transmission and subframe lockout bushings, ST Coilovers, SPC Camber bolts w/smaller crash bolt, SPC LCA's & SPC Toe Arm bushings, Red TOMs, TRD Wing.)
JazzleSAURUS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JazzleSAURUS For This Useful Post:
Oxyg3n (08-09-2016)
Old 08-09-2016, 05:53 PM   #9
Oxyg3n

Quote:
I wouldn't say our exhaust is ever raspy, unless you add a header. If you were to add a front pipe, just make sure it's catted, and you'll be good.
How much volume would you say adding a catted front pipe to the 2.5 perrin resonated add? And if the front pipe was from other brands, would it change the perrin resonated sound significantly?
Old 08-09-2016, 06:47 PM   #10
PERRIN_Chris

Garage
It's hard to say over the forums really. If it's catted, it's not really that much. For sure not enough to worry about unless you're really sensitive to sound.

As for other brand front pipe, that depends on if it's catted or not. If it's catted, it's probably going to be about the same as if it was our old front pipe. If it's not catted, just a little more. But I'd say doing the front pipe isn't going to change the sound nearly as much as doing a header, especially if it's an unequal length one. If it were me, I'd never do an unequal length header because it sounds horrible IMO.
The Following User Says Thank You to PERRIN_Chris For This Useful Post:
86geek (08-10-2016)
Old 08-09-2016, 07:04 PM   #11
mav1178

Drives: 2005 Toyota Camry
Thanked 6,092 Times in 3,029 Posts
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
FWIW Berk catted front pipe made the stock exhaust system almost 4db louder than stock.

-alex
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 07:14 PM   #12
PERRIN_Chris

Garage
Except for the Berk! Haha, I've heard that for some reason that front pipe makes any exhaust louder!
Old 08-09-2016, 07:16 PM   #13
Oxyg3n

Quote:
It's hard to say over the forums really. If it's catted, it's not really that much. For sure not enough to worry about unless you're really sensitive to sound.

As for other brand front pipe, that depends on if it's catted or not. If it's catted, it's probably going to be about the same as if it was our old front pipe. If it's not catted, just a little more. But I'd say doing the front pipe isn't going to change the sound nearly as much as doing a header, especially if it's an unequal length one. If it were me, I'd never do an unequal length header because it sounds horrible IMO.
Haha I see. I wasn't afraid of the fp making it too loud, I actually wanted the perrin to be as loud as possible with just catback/front pipe combo since I'm not comfortable with doing the headers and over pipe considering people need to lift the engine a bit.

Thanks for all the insight.

Old 08-10-2016, 04:25 AM   #14
86geek

Drives: 2015 FRS Asphalt
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
What brand catted front pipe would you recommend? I have Perrin 2.5 resonated.

Opti-Coat & Cquartz Finest, Apexi Drop in Filter, 2.5 Perrin Res. Catback Exhaust
86geek is offline   Reply With Quote