follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 06-03-2016, 11:42 AM   #29
PERRIN_Chris

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 137 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Send a message via AIM to PERRIN_Chris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad86 View Post
@PERRIN_Chris I currently am running a full JDL 3" exhaust setup with catless UEL and it is obnoxiously loud and drones. I am looking to Perrin for a solution as my car is currently unbearable to drive. To quiet things down would you recommend switching to your resonated 3" exhaust or swapping back to the stock exhaust parts and installing your 2.5" resonated exhaust? Either way, I hope to be able to keep the catless header, but reduce the volume and drone.

Does your JDL catback have a resonator? If it does, and it's still too loud, I'd probably go with our 2.5" resonated. Just doing that alone is going to help a lot. If it's still too loud, try switching out the front pipe with stock or a catted one.

If your JDL catback does not have a resonator, then our 3" resonated catback will help a little bit, but it's still going to be loud having no cats at all.
PERRIN_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PERRIN_Chris For This Useful Post:
Chad86 (06-03-2016)
Old 06-08-2016, 11:08 PM   #30
Chad86
DrivinginDreams...Cloud86

Drives: Toyota GT86
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Yes, the JDL catback is resonated. I would assume the 3" piping throughout including the catless header is producing a lot of noise. My only concern would be it being too loud with the 2.5" resonated and catless header as I read on another post. It mentioned to install a downpipe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PERRIN_Chris View Post
Does your JDL catback have a resonator? If it does, and it's still too loud, I'd probably go with our 2.5" resonated. Just doing that alone is going to help a lot. If it's still too loud, try switching out the front pipe with stock or a catted one.

If your JDL catback does not have a resonator, then our 3" resonated catback will help a little bit, but it's still going to be loud having no cats at all.
Old 06-09-2016, 04:50 PM   #31
morswestford

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
i had the perrin unresonated and it was too loud for my tastes. i didnt like it. i then went to the resonated. i guess it comes down to your personal preference. i also have an UEL borla header, which makes things already louder as it is. just imagine unresonated on top of that.
morswestford is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to morswestford For This Useful Post:
Chad86 (06-10-2016)

Tags
catback, exhaust, non-resonated, perrin, resonated