follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 10-20-2015, 09:09 AM   #183
1Cor10:23

Drives: '13 Whiteout FR-S (M/T)
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
@tracerit I decided to crack it open again yesterday - there's no way to fully clear it, always a bit touch but you can tip it the filter upward a bit to minimize contact with that hump.
1Cor10:23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 04:43 PM   #184
tracerit

Drives: '13 SSM BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Cor10:23 View Post
@tracerit I decided to crack it open again yesterday - there's no way to fully clear it, always a bit touch but you can tip it the filter upward a bit to minimize contact with that hump.
I also removed the black piece above the bumper and pulled it out to peek inside. My filter is also touching the air diverter but it's not squished in there or anything. I'll just rotste the filter when it comes time to clean.
tracerit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tracerit For This Useful Post:
1Cor10:23 (10-20-2015)
Old 11-09-2015, 01:39 PM   #185
Jfheisenberg

Drives: 2015 BRZ Series Blue WRB
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Im considering buying this cold air intake from perrin. Does the bumper needs to be remove in order to clean the intake every 8-10k miles?
Jfheisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 01:49 PM   #186
1Cor10:23

Drives: '13 Whiteout FR-S (M/T)
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
@Jfheisenberg yes, this is the best way to service. You can probably get away with pulling back the top of the bumper but you risk misalignment when reinstalling plus tearing of foam.

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk
1Cor10:23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 04:19 AM   #187
akiranakayama

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited (CBS)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sony View Post

The Review!

This wont be much of a review sound and performance wise as the car never left the garage. Unfortunately it's winter here and the roads are covered in salt. Also as you can tell my car does not have winter tires so it hasn't left the garage yet.

The install went fairly well, as I said previously I was working by myself in my garage. Of course this was easier for me as I (as you can tell) own my own garage lift which makes working on my cars far easier than most.
Any problems I had were due to ether my own stupidity or difficulty deciphering the pictures in Perrin's instruction manual. I would ask Perrin that maybe in the future they consider color printing their manuals, as the black and white pictures are hard to understand. I know this is added cost, but it would make installation MUCH easier and understandable. I think I had the same suggestion for their Cat-Back.

As I said before, if you want an easy intake install, look elsewhere. The aFe Takeda intake installs in about 15 minutes and is super easy. The Takeda however is not a true CAI and does suck hot air in from the engine bay despite having an intake spout pointing at the hole where the original snorkel used to come in. @2forme can back me up on this, he has logs of both the aFe and Airaid intakes and their intake temperatures.

All in all the install went fairly well, and the products fit and finish was good. I started the car and pressed the gas a couple times to rev the engine. The sound is pretty nice, when you first step on the gas it has a pretty cool POOF sound as the air accelerates through the filter upon tapping the gas. The filter is of good construction, although I do wish Perrin had offered a Dry Filter option as I am not a huge fan of oiling filters as they are messy. The filter has an inner metal cage to keep it's shape and prevent collapse. All the pieces fit together with little difficulty and I did not have any trouble getting everything lined up properly.

So far I would give this intake a good review but I have not been able to comment on performance yet as that will have to wait until a sunny day when I can go for a ride. I will also have Dyno's soon as I will be taking my car to @Kaizen Tuning for a retune. More info and further review to come then!

Thanks for reading!

-Trev a.k.a. Sony
[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]
Random question...

Is that a shared common underground garage? Like in an apartment or condo building? If so, it looks like the board allows tenants/owners to keep stuff in their parking spots? AND YOU HAVE A LIFT IN THERE? AND YOU CAN WORK ON YOUR CAR IN THERE?! Do you keep your tools in your spot? If so, aren't you afraid of theft?

So many questions!
2007 Suzuki SV650 (Track bike.)
akiranakayama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 02:10 AM   #188
Sony

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ MT Limited
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by akiranakayama View Post
Random question...

Is that a shared common underground garage? Like in an apartment or condo building? If so, it looks like the board allows tenants/owners to keep stuff in their parking spots? AND YOU HAVE A LIFT IN THERE? AND YOU CAN WORK ON YOUR CAR IN THERE?! Do you keep your tools in your spot? If so, aren't you afraid of theft?

So many questions!
Haha, funny you should ask. It's a condo, there is no board, there is only 6 units and we are all wicked chill friends and run the Condo Association together, there is no outside management company. The garage is completely secured so there is no access to anyone from the outside so we all just keep our stuff in the garage. It's a pretty sweet arrangement but I will admit I did pay a very pretty penny for the privilege (close to half a mil). Totally worth it though, my neighbors are super chill and don't give any f***s about me working on cars in the garage. The building is inset into a hill and the garage is the basement of the building so the basement ends up with 14ft ceilings which is perfect for a lift. I have power run from my circuit breaker panel into the garage with a 240volt 30amp service that powers the lift and a second 120v 20a line that powers my compressor and other electric tools.
Sony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 04:37 AM   #189
tracerit

Drives: '13 SSM BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
I was strolling around ft86speedfactory and noticed that the regular Perrin CAI is now CARB APPROVED!!!!! Now I'm feeling pretty bad about having just purchased the HKS intake duct just last month :/
http://perrinperformance.com/i-13324...-fr-s-brz.html

@PERRIN_Chris are all regular Perrin CAI's CARB approved retroactively or will there be a new batch being released?
tracerit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 02:49 PM   #190
PERRIN_Chris

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 137 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via AIM to PERRIN_Chris
That's right, they're CARB approved now! This also applies to the intakes we've sold in the past since they are the same intake. If anyone needs a CARB sticker, send me a PM with your address, thanks!
PERRIN_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PERRIN_Chris For This Useful Post:
cyde01 (03-30-2016), JonAvalon (03-28-2016), tracerit (03-28-2016)
Old 05-02-2016, 04:56 PM   #191
Jfheisenberg

Hey guys, i just installed my perrin cold air intake. I actually forgot to add the air divider, is that necessary? i'll be taking the bumper out again to align it better so im just wondering if it should add the air divider or not.. please advise.!

@PERRIN_Chris
Old 05-02-2016, 05:02 PM   #192
PERRIN_Chris

Garage
You mean you forgot to add the two brackets to push the bracket away from the filter? I'd take the bumper off to add them, it could put pressure on the filter and maybe cause it to break eventually. Remember not to overtighten the clamp going to the filter! I see that happen a lot and the rubber on the filter breaks.
Old 05-02-2016, 05:57 PM   #193
Jfheisenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by PERRIN_Chris View Post
You mean you forgot to add the two brackets to push the bracket away from the filter? I'd take the bumper off to add them, it could put pressure on the filter and maybe cause it to break eventually. Remember not to overtighten the clamp going to the filter! I see that happen a lot and the rubber on the filter breaks.
i meant to say that i did not used those two brackets because i forgot to add the air divider panel that goes behind the intake. In other words, there is nothing behind the cone right now.

from what i read that panel is called air divider, not sure if it needs to be there or not.
Old 05-02-2016, 06:35 PM   #194
PERRIN_Chris

Garage
OK got it, you'll want to put that diverter back for sure, it could make the MAF get some weird readings. At least you'll get some practice getting the bumper off!
Old 05-02-2016, 06:47 PM   #195
Jfheisenberg

Quote:
OK got it, you'll want to put that diverter back for sure, it could make the MAF get some weird readings. At least you'll get some practice getting the bumper off!
ok thanks. Yeah i havent got any cel codes yet. Oh and yes , the bumper is a pain to take out, well taking the side markers makes it complicated
Old 05-14-2016, 04:43 PM   #196
LenA

Drives: 2015 Silver BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
That's right, they're CARB approved now! This also applies to the intakes we've sold in the past since they are the same intake. If anyone needs a CARB sticker, send me a PM with your address, thanks!
Is intake only CARB approved if you use the stock hose and sound generator or is the silicon intake tube also legal?

For folks that report smoother takeoff from rest, is that likely due to better throttle response as Perrin dyno does not seem to show much low rpm torque improvement?

Thanks

Len
LenA is offline   Reply With Quote