follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 03-15-2019, 03:40 PM   #309
Ichima

Drives: 13' Lightning Red Brz
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ka-t_240 View Post
Cat back and ride hieght have 0 to do with a head failing.

Removing the head, taking apart to put valve springs and doing something wrong is what causes a head to fail.
Yeah SOA told me to contact another dealer to get a second look at the vehicle, called the next closest dealership and they state my vehicle is now flagged in the system for performance mods. They agreed on diagnosing the vehicle but with the flag on my vehicle apparently, it tells other dealerships to stay away.
Ichima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 03:47 PM   #310
ka-t_240

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichima View Post
Yeah SOA told me to contact another dealer to get a second look at the vehicle, called the next closest dealership and they state my vehicle is now flagged in the system for performance mods. They agreed on diagnosing the vehicle but with the flag on my vehicle apparently, it tells other dealerships to stay away.
Can you get them to show you what it says in the system and who entered it/when?

Cat back shouldn't be an issue or something to get flag for? Did you buy your car new or used? Maybe someone else had it very modded?
ka-t_240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 03:54 PM   #311
Ichima

Drives: 13' Lightning Red Brz
Quote:
Originally Posted by ka-t_240 View Post
Can you get them to show you what it says in the system and who entered it/when?

Cat back shouldn't be an issue or something to get flag for? Did you buy your car new or used? Maybe someone else had it very modded?
Bought the car brand back in april of 2012. SOA doesn't even see any remarks or notes on my vehicle about any modifications ever. Car has never been tuned. Only engine work ever done on the vehicle would be my o2 sensors, cat back exhausts and the dealer also changed my cam seals like 4 years ago. Other than that, i've never really done anything to my car besides oil changes and changing the battery twice.
Ichima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 02:41 AM   #312
ORrooster

Drives: Your FR-S like he stole it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mswbrz View Post
I see only frs / Toyota cars as having issues after recall.
Seemed that was early on but the more Subaru dealers are starting to do them, the more failures 'the experts' are having.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSideFRS View Post
Should list dealerships that did the work as well so that everyone will steer clear of them
ABSOLUTELY!! 1000% Agree. I see zero downside to calling out shit techs and dealers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Canada has a much stricter training and licensing program for techs though...
Stricter than, 'I was the Shuttle Driver last week.'??

That is good but I am correct in stating that several of these destroyed 86s were initially repaired in Canada, eh? Ontario for a few of them specifically...?

It also looks like a couple of the flopped out Canuckian techs might be working in Vermont and Connecticut. For real though, at least there are some Industry Standards in The Great White North.

Quote:
They told me I have to pick my car up today before i start accumulating storage fees
Bullshit. Was there any mention of this at any time when you signed off for any work to ever be done at that dealer? Read the fine print on your invoices. Doubtful and if it is not on anything you signed, refuse to pay. They are trying to scare you off.

Do pick it up. With a flatbed tow truck and take it straight to the next closest, reputable Subaru dealer. Don't start it. Don't drive it. Document with the Service Manager the exact mileage when you're leaving and let them know in no uncertain circumstances that you leaving their dealer is not the end of them dealing with you, you are only done dealing with them.

Get the local Subaru Zone Rep, (DSPM here for Toy.Corp.) or whatever they call them, and get real 'familiar' with that person. Not the person answering the phone when you call Customer Assistance, the Corporate Manager for your region that the Service Manager at the dealership level answers to. Be a 'squeaky wheel' until they will pay to stop hearing from you!!!

Quote:
So, got word from SOA. Dealership is claiming aftermarket parts. Only aftermarket part on my car is the catback exhaust. Very hard to believe that a catback will destroy my heads and valves. They also flagged my vehicle in the system according to another subaru dealership. Rep at SOA told me to get diagnostics done at another dealership so i called to make an appointment and the dealership says they are willing to help me but it's flagged.
Again, total bullshit. How long was that system in place prior to repairs performed? Receipt? Any chance it was installed at that dealer? That would chop that leg they're trying to stand on right off.

Your new friend, the Subaru Corp. personnel, can delete all that crap the dealer is trying to shaft you with right off your Vehicle History & VIN in the Subaru system.

why? (03-16-2019)
Old 03-16-2019, 03:13 AM   #313
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORrooster View Post

That is good but I am correct in stating that several of these destroyed 86s were initially repaired in Canada, eh? Ontario for a few of them specifically...?

It also looks like a couple of the flopped out Canuckian techs might be working in Vermont and Connecticut. For real though, at least there are some Industry Standards in The Great White North.

Yes much stricter. The materials I posted were not a joke.
The original instructions were not very clear as to the sealant application. The second revision makes it very clear.
Even the best of any trade can still screw up. Shit happens.
It stands to be noted that from the limited data we have both the failed repairs in Ontario were immediately corrected by the dealer with no argument. They knew they crewed up and they fixed the problem.
Dadhawk (03-16-2019)
Old 03-16-2019, 03:25 AM   #314
ORrooster

Drives: Your FR-S like he stole it.
Quote:
Even the best of any trade can still screw up. Shit happens.
That is how they got to be the best. By making, and not repeating mistakes.

Quote:
]It stands to be noted that from the limited data we have both the failed repairs in Ontario were immediately corrected by the dealer with no argument. They knew they crewed up and they fixed the problem.
The way they should all be handled. Shameful how these are being handled in the majority of the cases documented here.

Dadhawk (03-16-2019), Tcoat (03-16-2019)
Old 03-16-2019, 03:39 AM   #315
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
That is how they got to be the best. By making, and not repeating mistakes.

The way they should all be handled. Shameful how these are being handled in the majority of the cases documented here.

The unfortunate thing is that we have such spotty data that we don't really know what the truth is. Things could be far better or worse than we know. My personal opinion is that they are actually better than they appear since people with problems are always more vocal than those without. There could be hundreds of success stories against the dozens of horror ones and we are simply not hearing them.
Old 03-16-2019, 09:59 AM   #316
RickyBobby

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S AT
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
The unfortunate thing is that we have such spotty data that we don't really know what the truth is. Things could be far better or worse than we know. My personal opinion is that they are actually better than they appear since people with problems are always more vocal than those without. There could be hundreds of success stories against the dozens of horror ones and we are simply not hearing them.
I totally agree with this.
Does anyone know the exact number of FR-S/BRZ affected by the recall that have experienced fractured valve springs? Yes, I have Google searched it with no results.
According to this Consumer Reports article, "The company estimates that about 0.1 percent of the recalled models will experience the problem. The automaker says it is not aware of any crashes related to this issue".
https://www.consumerreports.org/car-...sues-stalling/

I received my recall letter about 3 weeks ago. My 2013 FR-S has only 25K miles on it. It's running fine. For now, IMO, the odds of mine fracturing a valve spring may be less than my local Toyota dealer (who as of 3/14/19 has not done any valve spring recalls) screwing up my engine.
RickyBobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 11:10 AM   #317
Teseo

Drives: frs
Thanked 2,919 Times in 1,767 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyBobby View Post
I totally agree with this.
Does anyone know the exact number of FR-S/BRZ affected by the recall that have experienced fractured valve springs? Yes, I have Google searched it with no results.
According to this Consumer Reports article, "The company estimates that about 0.1 percent of the recalled models will experience the problem. The automaker says it is not aware of any crashes related to this issue".
https://www.consumerreports.org/car-...sues-stalling/

I received my recall letter about 3 weeks ago. My 2013 FR-S has only 25K miles on it. It's running fine. For now, IMO, the odds of mine fracturing a valve spring may be less than my local Toyota dealer (who as of 3/14/19 has not done any valve spring recalls) screwing up my engine.
Its not 0.1, i read was 0.08 percent
Teseo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 11:23 AM   #318
maslin
Benz Tech

Drives: 2017 BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
We have ‘GMs son who was used to be a chef’ and ‘hourly guys who think they’re flat rate and butcher everything’.

The last state in lived in the oil change kid was always ‘the only car wash kid that managed to show up 3 days a week’.

Hack jobs don’t seem to make it very long, but everyone is so desperate for techs they’ve been sticking around a lot longer lately.
maslin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to maslin For This Useful Post:
ORrooster (03-16-2019)
Old 03-16-2019, 04:54 PM   #319
jacjac3

Drives: WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Got mine back this morning. Popped the hood and noticed that the coolant res cover open. Had to talk to the service advisor and report this so that their techs pay more attention.
After driving it for 5 minutes, I got a check engine light. Got the code P0013 camshaft sensor. Brought it back and they said that the tech rushed it and didn't connect the sensor properly. Reconnect it and it went away. Driving it around right now and will update if I see more issues.
jacjac3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 08:08 PM   #320
Face_Plant

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Edit- nevermind

Last edited by Face_Plant; 03-17-2019 at 11:37 AM.
Face_Plant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 05:54 PM   #321
Ongor

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S, Hot Lava
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Hey guys. I wanted to get your oppinion on this.

The dealer is offering me a replacement short block with a 3 month 5000 km warranty... They are doing this, but they still haven't opened the engine to see the extent of the failure.

I was hoping to get a new engine, or pay the difference. But what I was hoping the most is at least a 1 year warranty for the replacement.

Toyota Corp isn't doing anything (The 3 months and 5k km warranty, and the block itself is from them.)

What do you guys think of this?
What are people getting with the new blocks?
did anyone got a full engine replacement? (new one, not used)

PS: forgot to mention, I still have the ECP (Extended care protection) until april 9th.

My original post on the registry thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ongor View Post
Vehicle Mileage: 67k km
Vehicle Make: Scion/Toyota
Mileage After Recall Performed: 390km
Symptom(s): Couldnt start it, thought it was the battery. Boosted it. Then knocking faintly, then became louder and louder, loss of power, engine shutdown. No engine check, no oil light, temp meter normal (half way).
Failure: TBD, Dealer removed the engine but didn't investigate further.
State: Dead
Is Dealership Offering Repair: TBD, they are now waiting to talk with Toyota Corporate.
Dealership: Toyota Spinelli Pointe-Claire, Montreal, QC, Canada.

Update on 14-03-2019: Dealer said Toyota Corp asked them to remove the oil pan and take pictures of the oil, and the pickup screen. I asked to have the pictures, they said "yes, np" but didn't send them my way (that was yesterday).

Update on 15-03-2019: Dealer finally sent a picture of the oil pickup screen.

Update on 18-03-2019: Dealer is offering a replacement short block with a 3 month and 5000km warranty... They still haven't opened the engine to know the extent of the failure.
Old 03-18-2019, 06:09 PM   #322
John557

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Engine mount failure

Had it done back in January and noticed a noise as soon as I got my car back. Took it back in and they just said the technician didn't tighten a motor mount all the way, was confused but said alright and the sound seemed to almost go away. Except it got louder and louder the next 2 weeks where I took it in again. They are trying to say my motor mounts went bad from just normal wear and tear. And they wanted $675 to replace them. Well screw that, found both mounts for $76, replaced them 2 days ago to find that they put in the passenger side mount on backwards somehow, they literally must have forced it on, and it failed within 20 miles of leaving the dealership. I just got off the phone with corporate who is saying theres nothing they can do, the dealership already has their stance on it. I find this aggravating because thats just some crappy customer service.
Attached Images

John557 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brz, failure, frs, i cant even, j02, recall, so much glue