follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

View Poll Results: What name should Toyota use for the production Toyota FT-1?
Supra gets my vote! 367 74.59%
I don't know, but its time for a new name. 125 25.41%
Voters: 492. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 01-07-2019, 03:57 PM   #4033
ZDan

Drives: '23 BRZ
Thanked 3,890 Times in 2,032 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwolf View Post
The lower power is a big deficit to overcome for many.
??? Existence of 4-cylinder model does not affect the power output of the 6-cylinder model...

Quote:
It will be interesting to see how they compare, but it wouldn't be surprising to see the supra and Camaro be very alike numbers wise. If you get the upgraded Camaro packages I'd almost say it would outperform the 4 cylinder supra.
And if you get the ZL1 Camaro it will outperform the 6-cylinder Supra at the same price. I think it's safe to say that at any given price point, the Camaro is going to "outperform" the Toyota (86, 4cyl Supra, 6cyl Supra) in every instance. The existence of a 4 cylinder Supra doesn't change that.
Still, some of us would rather have a smaller, lighter-weight, shorter-wheelbase sports car even if it is slower vs. a much more powerful Camaro at the same price point.
For sure I would MUCH rather have:
FT86 >> 4 or 6 cylinder Camaro or Mustang
4-cylinder Supra >> V8 Camaro or Mustang
6-cylinder Supra >> Supercharged V8 Camaro or Mustang
The Following User Says Thank You to ZDan For This Useful Post:
Tokay444 (01-10-2019)
Old 01-07-2019, 04:25 PM   #4034
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,937 Times in 11,375 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZDan View Post
And if you get the ZL1 Camaro it will outperform the 6-cylinder Supra at the same price. I think it's safe to say that at any given price point, the Camaro is going to "outperform" the Toyota (86, 4cyl Supra, 6cyl Supra) in every instance. The existence of a 4 cylinder Supra doesn't change that.
Still, some of us would rather have a smaller, lighter-weight, shorter-wheelbase sports car even if it is slower vs. a much more powerful Camaro at the same price point.
Whether I agree with you on that or not, the deal breaker for me is I'd rather have a Camaro designed and built by GM, or a Mustang designed and built by Ford than a "Supra" designed and built by BMW.

Now if Toyota had designed and built it, we'd be a little closer.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
Rampage (01-07-2019), Summerwolf (01-07-2019)
Old 01-07-2019, 04:45 PM   #4035
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
??? Existence of 4-cylinder model does not affect the power output of the 6-cylinder model...

It doesn't affect the inline six models power. What it does do is take a marquee car and kind of water it down. If the gtr came in a 4 cylinder model it would be a similar scenario.

Your comparison and desires are your own.... but jfc expand your horizons. The new supra hasn't even been released yet and you say you'd rather have it over proven platforms.
The Following User Says Thank You to Summerwolf For This Useful Post:
funwheeldrive (01-07-2019)
Old 01-07-2019, 05:19 PM   #4036
abraxis

Drives: many
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
Whether I agree with you on that or not, the deal breaker for me is I'd rather have a Camaro designed and built by GM, or a Mustang designed and built by Ford than a "Supra" designed and built by BMW.

Now if Toyota had designed and built it, we'd be a little closer.
Oh, are you one of those that still thinks the 86 was 100% designed and built by Subaru? I'd suggest you look into the development origins and history of both the 86 and the Supra, and note the parts content on the 86 is very nearly 50/50 Toyota/Subaru. If anything, the Supra will likely be more Toyota centric design and content wise than the 86 was based on reports.

The real question you should be asking yourself is whether you'd prefer having no Supra or 86 at all because of brand snobbery. Personally I'm happy to have Toyota make cars for enthusiasts even though they know in the long run it will cost them more money then they will make. If cooperation with other enthusiast brands makes it possible, then I'm down.

Enjoy your two ton led sled with chinese 'domestic' parts tho.
The Following User Says Thank You to abraxis For This Useful Post:
funwheeldrive (01-07-2019)
Old 01-07-2019, 05:40 PM   #4037
Rampage
Senior Member/Old Fanboi

Drives: 2000 2ZZ-GE MR2 Spyder HT
Thanked 2,014 Times in 915 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
One week to go.
Hot-Lava_Dave (01-08-2019)
Old 01-07-2019, 06:47 PM   #4038
ZDan

Drives: '23 BRZ
Thanked 3,890 Times in 2,032 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
It doesn't affect the inline six models power. What it does do is take a marquee car and kind of water it down. If the gtr came in a 4 cylinder model it would be a similar scenario.
Well, the GTR is an enormous and heavy car. But still, I wouldn't see a 4-cylinder GTR junior as a necessarily bad idea...

Quote:
Your comparison and desires are your own.... but jfc expand your horizons. The new supra hasn't even been released yet and you say you'd rather have it over proven platforms.
It is possible to be somewhat aware about the kinds of things one likes and to pretty well *know* these things in advance. I've been around new Mustangs and Camaros on the street and at the track for a while now, and I know they are not for me. I just like sitting lower in much smaller, shorter-wheelbase, lower-beltline cars. And I don't like being in or driving giant bricklike behemoths. No matter how "proven" they are. Not for me...
The Following User Says Thank You to ZDan For This Useful Post:
abraxis (01-08-2019)
Old 01-07-2019, 09:37 PM   #4039
gymratter

Drives: BMW
Thanked 1,825 Times in 952 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
SF member is keeps claiming the 4 banger will be called Celica Supra.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevydude View Post
The four will be badged as a Celica-Supra. The 2jz encouragement/acknowledgement is still anyone's guess.
Old 01-08-2019, 07:53 AM   #4040
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,937 Times in 11,375 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxis View Post
Oh, are you one of those that still thinks the 86 was 100% designed and built by Subaru? I'd suggest you look into the development origins and history of both the 86 and the Supra, and note the parts content on the 86 is very nearly 50/50 Toyota/Subaru. If anything, the Supra will likely be more Toyota centric design and content wise than the 86 was based on reports.
Not at all, I know exactly what I bought and would not have bought a 100% Subaru car. In fact, most of the parts of the 86 I'm unhappy with are Subaru (for example paint quality) that I believe would be different if it had been fully built or designed by Toyota and is the reason I wouldn't buy a second one unless things changed a bit.

From what I can see of the new Supra it should be labeled "coachwork by Toyota" but the heart of the car (the drivetrain, interior, etc) is strictly BMW with a little tweaking.

I may be wrong about the Supra design because admittedly I don't care for the car in whole, BMW/Toyota or somewhere in-between, so I haven't delved into the details.

That said, my assessment (which is really just my opinion, and preference) stands. I'll take the Camaro, you can have your Supra and we'll meet up for a good German beer somewhere.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
The Following User Says Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
Summerwolf (01-08-2019)
Old 01-08-2019, 09:24 AM   #4041
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Quote:
Well, the GTR is an enormous and heavy car. But still, I wouldn't see a 4-cylinder GTR junior as a necessarily bad idea...

It is possible to be somewhat aware about the kinds of things one likes and to pretty well *know* these things in advance. I've been around new Mustangs and Camaros on the street and at the track for a while now, and I know they are not for me. I just like sitting lower in much smaller, shorter-wheelbase, lower-beltline cars. And I don't like being in or driving giant bricklike behemoths. No matter how "proven" they are. Not for me...
If you ever get a chance to drive a sixth gen + Camaro or newer mustang you'd be surprised. I'm willing to bet, when driven close to a supra, actual position, visibility, experience.... will be quite similar.

The point I was making was on the GTR was missed I believe. It's a marquee car with one drivetrain option (albeit in different levels of tune), having a 4 cylinder option for the supra makes it less "special" to some. I can see their point. It's a dual edge there, make it exclusive and have a marquee or make it available to more and dilute the name by giving it a cheaper option.
Dadhawk (01-08-2019)
Old 01-08-2019, 09:40 AM   #4042
Sasquachulator
Pavement Grey

Drives: 2020 Toyota 86 GT, 2017 BMW X1
Thanked 2,222 Times in 1,204 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gymratter View Post
SF member is keeps claiming the 4 banger will be called Celica Supra.
I guess that's one way of reviving the celica name....
Old 01-08-2019, 10:05 AM   #4043
WolfpackS2k

Drives: '12 C63 P31, '23 GRC
Thanked 2,072 Times in 1,185 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Obviously will hold reservations until Supra is out, but...

I'll gladly spot the Camaro a few hundred pounds since it has a manual transmission and naturally aspirated engine.
Old 01-08-2019, 10:46 AM   #4044
raven1231

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S, 2016 DGM WRX
Thanked 3,118 Times in 1,667 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
If you ever get a chance to drive a sixth gen + Camaro or newer mustang you'd be surprised. I'm willing to bet, when driven close to a supra, actual position, visibility, experience.... will be quite similar.

The point I was making was on the GTR was missed I believe. It's a marquee car with one drivetrain option (albeit in different levels of tune), having a 4 cylinder option for the supra makes it less "special" to some. I can see their point. It's a dual edge there, make it exclusive and have a marquee or make it available to more and dilute the name by giving it a cheaper option.
You do realize the original supra always had a base v6 model right? Not sure how the new 4cylinder cheapens the brand but the old v6 base didn't?
Old 01-08-2019, 11:05 AM   #4045
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Quote:
Originally Posted by raven1231 View Post
You do realize the original supra always had a base v6 model right? Not sure how the new 4cylinder cheapens the brand but the old v6 base didn't?
Absolutely. That's also last generation where this is an all new platform years apart from that.

Although the supra was not a V6....
Rampage (01-08-2019)
Old 01-08-2019, 11:53 AM   #4046
Sasquachulator
Pavement Grey

Drives: 2020 Toyota 86 GT, 2017 BMW X1
Thanked 2,222 Times in 1,204 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Gearheads always thinks having a "lesser" version cheapens the car.

Just like the American pony cars ended up getting 4 banger base models. "omg no V8 its cheapened!"

Its nice to have the larger selection (opens to a wider audience, and lowers the price of entry) for the sake of the survival of the car. Gearheads may think its sacrilegious to provide such an offering as it goes against what they know of the car during its lifetime.

To me its just "the right version" vs the "wrong version". If I got a pony car, it has to have the V8. Sure the lower ones may be powerful enough, capable enough, etc but it loses the character of "the pony car".

Same as the luxury brands. 4 banger entry lux sport sedans was sacrilegious, now everyones doing it and its weird NOT to have one.
times change, this is how things are.

Theres choice now, if you don't like the choice, get the one that you find ideal. In the case of the Supra, i'd get the I6 version. Not because of "legacy" or whatever garbage buzzword you think the car has to adhere to, its more that I think that's the "right" version of the car to get.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sasquachulator For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (01-08-2019), Summerwolf (01-08-2019)

Closed Thread

Tags
bmwforsuckers, boring-zzzzzzzzzzzzz, brz, celica supra confirmed, frs, ft-1, hatch-y +1, morethanucanaffordpal, nomanualnogo, supra, toyota, twins, watstheretailon1ofthose