follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > NY / NJ / CT / PA

NY / NJ / CT / PA NY, NJ, CT, PA

User Tag List

Old 12-23-2015, 01:51 PM   #1
DST

Drives: 2016 FR-S Black
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Muffler Delete sound in person

I recently (as of December) leased a 16 FR-S. I am loving the car the one thing I'd like to do is make it a bit louder, not wake everyone one up loud but a moderate sound increase would be nice.

Since I am leasing it I don't want to put too much money into a full exhaust system if I don't have to. I've read a few topics about some of the available muffler deletes and that might be an easy way to go.

I have listened to some youtube videos but they do not really do justice and I cannot really gauge just how loud it would be.

I was hoping someone in the SE PA (DELCO, Chester County) region might have a muffler delete.
I am based out of Media, however I work in Exton and in West Chester and I could drive somewhere else to have a listen.

The only other upgrades I plan are a nice set of lightweight wheels and a new shift knob ( the stock one is a bit crappy IMHO)

Thanks!
DST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 07:12 AM   #2
swarb

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,271 Posts
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
You could also unbolt the muffler and it would sound very similar to the muffler delete.
swarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 09:30 AM   #3
chaoskaze
The Fail Boat

Drives: CWP S.B.
Thanked 1,293 Times in 873 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by swarb View Post
You could also unbolt the muffler and it would sound very similar to the muffler delete.

^ this. I heard it in person. It's nice & pretty loud. (I don't know where the bolt is thou. XD)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
chaoskaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 10:50 AM   #4
MuseChaser
Feeling like thinking....

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 2,433 Times in 1,064 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
This is an honest question, but it's going to sound grumpy and pissy. Can you explain WHY you want to make it louder? It's something I've just never understood. It doesn't improve anything about the car's performance, disturbs many of the people around you who don't enjoy loud sounds as much as you do (and can actually cause severe pain to folks with certain aural impairments), and puts you at risk for vehicle violation citations (at least in my state). What is the UPSIDE?

It's sort of like screaming at everyone you talk to you just because you like to scream. Nobody else enjoys it, and it's kind of rude. Why is it OK to do the same thing with your car?

If the car being really loud is a necessary BYPRODUCT of a mod that significantly increases performance, I get that. Still not wild about the loud part, but I still get it. When it's done just so you can be loud, well.. that baffles me.

Help me understand?

Thanks..

Barry
MuseChaser is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MuseChaser For This Useful Post:
B-R-Z (12-28-2015)
Old 12-24-2015, 06:00 PM   #5
Adox

Drives: 2014 Firestorm FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by swarb View Post
I have done this myself. If you do decide to do this, its not recommended to drive for very long because all of the exhaust heat gets almost "trapped" under the car, which could possibly melt your bumper (or so I've read on here). I drove around for 5 minutes without a muffler and my rear bumper was perfectly fine, but it was pretty hot to the touch.

I went with the Berk muffler delete track pipe. Cold starts are pretty loud, might wake up a neighbor, but once the car warms up and you get going it isn't too bad.
Adox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 10:15 AM   #6
GT86Dan

Drives: 2013 scion frs
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuseChaser View Post
This is an honest question, but it's going to sound grumpy and pissy. Can you explain WHY you want to make it louder? It's something I've just never understood. It doesn't improve anything about the car's performance, disturbs many of the people around you who don't enjoy loud sounds as much as you do (and can actually cause severe pain to folks with certain aural impairments), and puts you at risk for vehicle violation citations (at least in my state). What is the UPSIDE?

It's sort of like screaming at everyone you talk to you just because you like to scream. Nobody else enjoys it, and it's kind of rude. Why is it OK to do the same thing with your car?

If the car being really loud is a necessary BYPRODUCT of a mod that significantly increases performance, I get that. Still not wild about the loud part, but I still get it. When it's done just so you can be loud, well.. that baffles me.

Help me understand?

Thanks..

Barry
Becuz racecar
Old 12-26-2015, 11:26 AM   #7
adamg

Drives: brz
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:

Help me understand?

Thanks..

Barry
because some don't give a fuk
adamg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 11:59 AM   #8
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:

Help me understand?

Thanks..

Barry

I simply wanted to cut more weight out of the car because it's similar to adding more power hence, removing the spare tire and a muffler delete, the difference is noticeable on back roads. It leads to almost a 30 lb drop in weight over the rear. Also the sound is pretty damn good and in PA the berk muffler delete is under the legal RPM limit by a few decibels surprisingly. Also it's not like screaming as long as you don't go revving the damn thing out near every person you see (those with "aural impairments" as well)
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FRSBRZGT86FAN For This Useful Post:
MuseChaser (12-28-2015), new2subaru (01-09-2016)
Old 12-26-2015, 11:59 AM   #9
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaoskaze View Post
^ this. I heard it in person. It's nice & pretty loud. (I don't know where the bolt is thou. XD)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Two 14 mm bolts, you might need a breaker bar just to get them off
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
Old 12-26-2015, 12:08 PM   #10
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by DST View Post
I recently (as of December) leased a 16 FR-S. I am loving the car the one thing I'd like to do is make it a bit louder, not wake everyone one up loud but a moderate sound increase would be nice.

Since I am leasing it I don't want to put too much money into a full exhaust system if I don't have to. I've read a few topics about some of the available muffler deletes and that might be an easy way to go.

I have listened to some youtube videos but they do not really do justice and I cannot really gauge just how loud it would be.

I was hoping someone in the SE PA (DELCO, Chester County) region might have a muffler delete.
I am based out of Media, however I work in Exton and in West Chester and I could drive somewhere else to have a listen.

The only other upgrades I plan are a nice set of lightweight wheels and a new shift knob ( the stock one is a bit crappy IMHO)

Thanks!

I'll tell you personal experience via rpm range:

Idle: With a quiet oft tune modded to keep the cold starts quiet and not do the stupid timing retard and aggressive maf to light the cats up it still is kind of loud at 1400 RPM cold start but once it reaches idle and is warmed @ 750 rpm it's not that bad I'd say around 60-70 decibels or lower.

The loudest part is around 1000 rpm to 3000rpm it is quite loud in that rev range and at 2000 rpm it drones, after that it sounds fine and I've gotten quite a few compliments from it. Ironically and almost unusually it's not that loud as you rev the car out, it's kind of weird as you go through the rev range it's sort of quieter.

I highly recommend you hear one in person it's hard to describe through even a video without high quality audio equipment
Old 12-27-2015, 10:38 PM   #11
slim blanco

Drives: 2017 86
i've got the nameless performance muffled track pipe on my otherwise stock exhaust system, and it's great for me. it's not real loud but it adds a bit more sound, which is what i wanted. i'm sure cold starts are a bit higher in volume than what my neighbors would like, but once the car is warmed up it's not bad.
Old 12-27-2015, 10:58 PM   #12
RyanjohsonFRS

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Cold starts are loud.
Idle is quiet.
Cruising is not to loud (in my opinion)
Will be loud if you want it to be!
Overall great! and Cheap
RyanjohsonFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 10:14 AM   #13
GT86Dan

Drives: 2013 scion frs
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSBRZGT86FAN View Post
I'll tell you personal experience via rpm range:

Idle: With a quiet oft tune modded to keep the cold starts quiet and not do the stupid timing retard and aggressive maf to light the cats up it still is kind of loud at 1400 RPM cold start but once it reaches idle and is warmed @ 750 rpm it's not that bad I'd say around 60-70 decibels or lower.

The loudest part is around 1000 rpm to 3000rpm it is quite loud in that rev range and at 2000 rpm it drones, after that it sounds fine and I've gotten quite a few compliments from it. Ironically and almost unusually it's not that loud as you rev the car out, it's kind of weird as you go through the rev range it's sort of quieter.

I highly recommend you hear one in person it's hard to describe through even a video without high quality audio equipment
I second this as i had a berk axelback dual tip for about a year and a half. Yes its loud but as long as you have the stock cats it keep it in check. I recently just moved on to a catback and uel header. Im actually going to put it up for sale. If your interested in one it could save you some money.
Old 12-28-2015, 11:40 AM   #14
DST

Drives: 2016 FR-S Black
Thanks for all the great information and detailed descriptions.
I'm not the showy kind of person so I did not want to get something that would annoy the hell out of everyone but something where I could hear the car better and get more enjoyment out of the sound.

I can live with a loud cold start, I don't work terribly early (out by 8 am) so I do not imagine it would be waking anyone up.

I will be keeping the stock cat's on as I have no real reason to not have them on.
DST is offline   Reply With Quote