follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 01-11-2017, 11:12 PM   #1
sato

Drives: Dodge Patitas
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Unhappy Dealer ruining my transmission?

TLDR; 30k miles of dealer installed GL-4/GL-5 differential oil in my transmission, I wasn't aware until the 60k fluid replacement. Dealer denies improper fluid used during service. Denying further transmission service/checks

First off, thanks to the ft86club.com community. Not sure if I posted in the correct forum, but since this is an on-going issue with Dealer denying service, it seemed better to post here than in Maintenance forum... Mods, please relocate if needed.

I recently went to have my 2014 FR-S transmission and differential fluid change nearing 54k miles at same dealer who replaced my FR-S transmission fluids @24k miles). Did so to try and alleviate shift feel issues (and 2nd gear crunch). Having not liked the results with the VV820 fluid [Valvoline High Performance Gear Oil (75w90), with Limited Slip] they used the first time (still had issues shifting, 2nd gear grind was lessened but now grinding 4th). When I requested options, they showed me 1) the same Valvoline, and 2) Redline MT-90:

Read about the Valvoline product (currently in my transmission):
• Overview section of the page (http://www.valvoline.com/our-product...mance-gear-oil), states "All hypoid differentials (conventional and limited slip) and manual transmissions in passenger cars, light trucks, sport utility vehicles, vans and heavy-duty trucks where an API-GL5 or MT-1 fluid is specified".
• Their Product Information (PI) sheet (http://content.valvoline.com/pdf/hig...mance_gear.pdf) states it is a "superior sulfur-phosphorus, extreme pressure gear lubricant", states it exceeds GL5 and GL4* specs., and then indicates "*In synchronized manual transmission applications use:
o Valvoline Professional Series Manual Transmission Fluid or Valvoline Synchromesh Manual Transmission Fluid (available September 2012)"

I know the manual specifies GL3 (inactive spec) and the hard-to-find "MG Gear Oil special II", but it seems even Valvoline is telling me NOT to use THAT product. Worse, I am not at ease knowing the dealer is not using the specified transmission fluid on my car, especially after reading much about using GL5 fluid composition being potentially corrosive to our transmissions. The fact that the dealer is using this "substitute" (against Valvoline's indications) for whatever reason bothers me a lot, and the fact that transmission accelerated wear may not show way after warranty expires gets on my nerves...

Oh, and they are also refusing to lube the clutch fork assembly (to possibly fix the noise I feel when pressing the clutch pedal) if I don't pay them ~$500 to drop the transmission.

What should I do?
What am I entitled to (if warranty is applicable)?
What am I entitled to as a loyal, trusting dealer customer?
What am I entitled to as a consumer?

I was planning on gathering samples and send them in for analysis for possible damage, but haven't changed the transmission fluid yet as to possibly avoid any invalidation to my claim. Should I bother?

Thanks!

Update 01/11/17

I had called Toyota to complain about this and other prior issues about two (2) weeks prior to, and they had the Dealer call me down to investigate the issue. Explaining my situations to the Dealer rep., they agreed to discuss the situation with the Service Manager and involve Toyota staff (regional).

Today I was called by the Dealer rep. stating Toyota says they were using the correct fluid since it was 75w90 as specified by the manual. Also denied any request to address clutch fork issue, since it is "not an internal transmission issue" and thereby not covered under warranty, and is my responsibility as part maintenance.

Still awaiting their e-mail with their references, Once again, Toyota Regional brought issue back to dealer level and refuses to address the issues.

PS I think somebody on forum got a mechanic to lube the clutch fork assembly and bearing. Is it possible without dropping transmission?
Attached Images

Attached Images
File Type: pdf high_performance_gear.pdf (30.2 KB, 145 views)
File Type: pdf Valvoline™ High Performance Gear Oil _ Product Catalog - Valvoline®.pdf (56.4 KB, 158 views)
sato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 02:11 PM   #2
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,518 Times in 18,920 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Your concern is justified for exactly the reason you stated. GL-5 additives kill non-ferrous baulk rings. I use MT-90 in mine but I'm uncertain about even that stuff. Red Line claims that it's safe but Toyota/Subaru/Aisin didn't specify GL-3 arbitrarily.

At the very least, have them replace the fluid you're running now with MT-90.

I don't have the stomach for Quixotic battles but for the sake of other customers, in this case it seems appropriate. I don't know. Maybe others with more experience will chime in.
Old 01-12-2017, 02:14 PM   #3
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,518 Times in 18,920 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Oh, for your clutch fork, just jiggling it by hand often stops the squeak temporarily. If that's the case, it will come back in a week or so. :/

Tags
75w90, dealer, gl-5, transmission fluid