follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Northern California

Northern California NorCal

User Tag List

Old 08-20-2018, 05:55 PM   #1
Strife26

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Series.blue
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Tuners of NorCal?

I had recently got my tune through HRI.

I am not sure if it is the tune or something with the install...or even something else, but I wanted to eventually get it dyno tuned in addition to remote tuned.

I've added a part of two and was considering getting a dyno tune soon.

Is there a forum post with "local" (Norcal is big) dyno tuners?

I am in the Redding, CA area, so I would likely need to drive to at least Sac for a decent tuner (Maybe Chico?), but was wanting to look around a little instead of just going for the closest tuner.

Any suggestions or links to a post that might help if ya don't mind?

Thanks for any help (in advance).
Old 08-21-2018, 12:36 PM   #2
robotleader

Drives: brzzzz
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
snail performance in auburn
robotleader is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to robotleader For This Useful Post:
Strife26 (08-21-2018)
Old 08-21-2018, 01:01 PM   #3
Strife26

Quote:
Originally Posted by robotleader View Post
snail performance in auburn
So they know twins/are good with them? I saw them and my friend with a WRX uses them. When I read the reviews it was WRX, WRX, WRX, STI, etc...

I requested a quote.
Old 08-21-2018, 04:12 PM   #4
Xxyion
Lowly Cartuber

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2005 Honda S2000
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strife26 View Post
So they know twins/are good with them? I saw them and my friend with a WRX uses them. When I read the reviews it was WRX, WRX, WRX, STI, etc...

I requested a quote.
From what I've heard, while they can tune the 86 platform, they are more particular to cars that come with turbo's (hence the name).

I believe Elite Performance in Burlingame can tune our platform and are more dedicated to the platform itself. I would choose Elite over Snail just on that alone. Not saying Snail dont tune well, just their focus is elsewhere.

Also Zach from Delicious tuning comes up here every now and then and will do in person street tuning. Which personally I prefer as it utilizes real world driving conditions to help tune your car. You can get more info by contacting Neal at The Racers Line.
2016 Limited MT WR Blue BRZ | Delicious Flash n Go Tune | Delicious Flex Fuel Kit | Nameless 2.5" with 5" Mufflers | JDL UEL Headers | Bayson R Diffuser/Side Skirts | APR Front Splitter | VIS Racing GT Wing | ST Suspension Coilovers | Grammlights Rays 57CR 17x9 +38 | Sumitomo HTR Z iii 235/45/17 |
Xxyion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Xxyion For This Useful Post:
PMok (08-21-2018), Strife26 (08-21-2018)
Old 08-21-2018, 05:11 PM   #5
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
James is a pretty respected tuner. Have you already gone through revisions with him?

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 06:39 PM   #6
Strife26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xxyion View Post
From what I've heard, while they can tune the 86 platform, they are more particular to cars that come with turbo's (hence the name).

I believe Elite Performance in Burlingame can tune our platform and are more dedicated to the platform itself. I would choose Elite over Snail just on that alone. Not saying Snail dont tune well, just their focus is elsewhere.

Also Zach from Delicious tuning comes up here every now and then and will do in person street tuning. Which personally I prefer as it utilizes real world driving conditions to help tune your car. You can get more info by contacting Neal at The Racers Line.
Thank you. This is what I was looking for. I don't doubt Snail's ability, but from the sound of things our platform is unique, so I'd prefer the most experience, especially if the engine is as sensitive as people claim. I like my engine and want to keep it.
Old 08-21-2018, 06:42 PM   #7
Strife26

Quote:
Originally Posted by finch1750 View Post
James is a pretty respected tuner. Have you already gone through revisions with him?
I've been discussing if I need a retune with him. He hasn't responded to the last message where I offered money for a touch up or retune.

He doesn't think my DV/BOV should be open at idle. It definitely is open at idle and it can't be closed (Push type?). The car seems to be running fine if not better with the new part, but the last BOV was closed at idle, while this one is open, so I assume this might mess with afr settings, etc. The afr at idle kinda jumps around now, but eventually corrects itself. The car has stalled a few times when dropping the rpms quick, which it has always come close to stalling, now it does (3x in a week so not often).

Anyhow he hasn't responded and I was wanting to get a dyno so I know roughly where I'm at HP wise.
The Following User Says Thank You to Strife26 For This Useful Post:
finch1750 (08-22-2018)
Old 08-21-2018, 08:03 PM   #8
Foxy Grandma

Drives: 2016 CWP BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xxyion View Post
In this vein, Bill from Delicious comes down to Mann Engineering in Santa Clara for about a week or so every quarter. He tuned my car when he was down here last.
Foxy Grandma is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Foxy Grandma For This Useful Post:
Strife26 (08-21-2018)
Old 08-22-2018, 01:56 PM   #9
Xxyion
Lowly Cartuber

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2005 Honda S2000
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strife26 View Post

Anyhow he hasn't responded and I was wanting to get a dyno so I know roughly where I'm at HP wise.

For just a Dyno run any of the places listed will do runs for you.

But also I did forget Mann Engineering as well. Both them and The Racers Line work very closely with Delicious tuning which is located in SoCal
2016 Limited MT WR Blue BRZ | Delicious Flash n Go Tune | Delicious Flex Fuel Kit | Nameless 2.5" with 5" Mufflers | JDL UEL Headers | Bayson R Diffuser/Side Skirts | APR Front Splitter | VIS Racing GT Wing | ST Suspension Coilovers | Grammlights Rays 57CR 17x9 +38 | Sumitomo HTR Z iii 235/45/17 |
Xxyion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Xxyion For This Useful Post:
Strife26 (08-22-2018)