follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 06-09-2013, 08:58 PM   #1
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,351 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Reading OBDII and CANBUS over OBDII-Bluetooth adapter?

I'm looking at building an app that logs various sensor inputs against time and GPS co-ordinates to display overlayed on a track map but can't find any info on a few inputs. Most of it is straightforward, but I can't find any info on these ones anywhere online.

Steering angle
Brake position (or even just on/off)
Lateral/Longitudinal acceleration (not critical since the phone can log that, but it would be nice)
Yaw angle

I know these don't have normal OBDII PID's, but are they accessible through CANBUS? If so, can they be read through a OBDII/Bluetooth adapter?
Old 06-09-2013, 10:08 PM   #2
d1ck

Drives: Black 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
If these parameters are available at all they should be able to be read with either techstream or Ecutek. Finding out if they are available there should be the first step IMO.
d1ck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 02:13 AM   #3
DChan415
www.TheGarageSF.com

Drives: 13 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Those PIDS are accessed through the ABS control module via the CAN BUS. It isn't standard OBD2 data. I don't know of any Bluetooth adaptors that can access it.
DChan415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 11:31 AM   #4
Pacific

Drives: 5 Celica since 1978.Now a GT86
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
On aftermarket HU it exist wires CANTX and CANRX, is it possible to connect same to the CANbus and which is CANH and CANL for TX or RX?
Thank advices
Pacific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:09 PM   #5
wparsons

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DChan415 View Post
Those PIDS are accessed through the ABS control module via the CAN BUS. It isn't standard OBD2 data. I don't know of any Bluetooth adaptors that can access it.
That's what I was afraid of My idea needs a BT connection to the app running on a smart phone, so I can't rely on techstream, etc.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:18 PM   #6
SkullWorks
Banned

Drives: SSM LT MT BRZ
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
it isn't canbus TX and RX it is CanBus Hi and Lo

PID is the "wrong term" aswelll...i think they are called identifiers...but the can bus is a data stream which takes a fair bit of code to have just what you want filtered out, E92m3guy had some of the stuff on the canbus sorted out but the real problem you will have is accessing it, I have a openport2.0 cable and am having issues finding a program that can log the canbus so far (we have been using a canalyzer but it would be nice to simplify from that interface.)

CanBus is probably too much data to BT transmit reliably, and even so you would kill your phone trying to capture or sort it.
SkullWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 12:40 PM   #7
wparsons

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkullWorks View Post
it isn't canbus TX and RX it is CanBus Hi and Lo

PID is the "wrong term" aswelll...i think they are called identifiers...but the can bus is a data stream which takes a fair bit of code to have just what you want filtered out, E92m3guy had some of the stuff on the canbus sorted out but the real problem you will have is accessing it, I have a openport2.0 cable and am having issues finding a program that can log the canbus so far (we have been using a canalyzer but it would be nice to simplify from that interface.)

CanBus is probably too much data to BT transmit reliably, and even so you would kill your phone trying to capture or sort it.
I found similar info somewhere else too, sucks to see it confirmed

The more I dig the more it looks like my "dream" scenario will require hardware that can read the CANBUS and ODBII data and stream that to a phone/device over BT instead of feeding it the whole stream.

I can write software, but developing hardware is beyond my skillset
The Following User Says Thank You to wparsons For This Useful Post:
SkullWorks (06-12-2013)
Old 06-12-2013, 12:51 PM   #8
SkullWorks
Banned

Drives: SSM LT MT BRZ
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
I did manage to find a guy who developed a program called "canminer" that will give you access to the raw data on the CANBUS via a tacrix cable, it claims support of several adapters including some which I think had bluetooth
SkullWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 07:17 PM   #9
wparsons

Garage
Interesting, I'll look into that too! Thanks!