follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides For all DIYs.

User Tag List

Old 08-11-2015, 01:21 PM   #155
Joe-G
Canada Eh!

Drives: '13 FRS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Anyone have any tips for removing a rear hub thats stuck on?
Old 08-11-2015, 01:44 PM   #156
Rosticles

Drives: 1966 Mustang, 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-G View Post
Anyone have any tips for removing a rear hub thats stuck on?
If you are referring to the entire hub and bearing assembly: I had to wack it with a hammer on the brake hat to get it to come loose from the rust holding it.

If you are referring to the brake hat: I had to thread a bolt into the one of the two holes to get it to de-seat from the hub assembly.
Rosticles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 06:12 PM   #157
Joe-G
Canada Eh!

Drives: '13 FRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosticles View Post
If you are referring to the entire hub and bearing assembly: I had to wack it with a hammer on the brake hat to get it to come loose from the rust holding it.

If you are referring to the brake hat: I had to thread a bolt into the one of the two holes to get it to de-seat from the hub assembly.
Entire hub assembly. I hit the flange a good number of times but the thing is still stuck in there.
Old 08-20-2015, 01:19 PM   #158
BRZ RN

Drives: Blue BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizz View Post
Finally got around to install my Nismo studs. The fronts were very easy, I just hammered the old one's out and used the nut and washer method to install new studs. As you can see they're only 10mm longer than stock studs, which is more than sufficient for spacers up to that thick. Even without the spacers on I was able to use my Leggdura 35mm nuts with space to spare....no need to run ugly open ended nuts.

I haven't done the rears yet because they wouldn't fit without removing the hub...and i was too lazy to do all that. Will do the rears next weekend.

Anyway these wheel studs are perfect for those who want something stronger than OEM but without having extra long studs sticking out.

are the nismo studs holding up? are you using it on track as well? thanks
BRZ RN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 06:58 PM   #159
rdub-S

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Sorry to resurrect an older thread, but I thought I'd add some information that I couldn't find in my quest to add spacers with longer studs. The company that sent me my spacers didn't send me the right studs. When I asked they send me the right ones, they sent me longer studs, but they were still about 2 mm too short to get the correct length of engagement with the lug nuts.

When I went looking for correct studs, I couldn't find definitive information on the various stud lengths. So in the hopes of saving some of you what I went through, here are some measurements - all measured from the bottom of the head.

Stock wheel studs - 42 mm
Vorshlag "65 mm" - 59 mm
ARP studs - 76 mm (but thread length is about 68 mm)

In my case, I ended up using the Vorshlag studs in the front with a 15 mm spacer and the ARP studs in the rear with a 20 mm spacer. I am able to use closed end lug nuts all the way around, but only after I ground most of the unthreaded portion of the ARP studs down so they were about 70 mm total length.

Hope someone out there finds this helpful.
rdub-S is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rdub-S For This Useful Post:
8R6 (11-23-2015)
Old 11-11-2015, 01:41 PM   #160
Jayela

Drives: 2013 Nissan GT-R, 1985 Porsche 944
Garage
Hey guys, I'm a newbie and didn't really understand what "recrush axle nut edge" means, can anyone explain please? Thanks!
Jayela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 03:35 PM   #161
qoncept

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayela View Post
Hey guys, I'm a newbie and didn't really understand what "recrush axle nut edge" means, can anyone explain please? Thanks!
I can't (quickly) find a good picture, but if you look at the one below, notice the thin, round part above the hex faces. There's also a notch in the axle. You'll hit a screwdriver or something on that thin part of the nut in to the notch to keep it from backing out.

Edit: This one shows someone taking one off, but you can see the notch and the nut crushed in to it. FYI, you really aren't supposed to reuse these crush-type axle nuts because of this. But I always have.

One more edit: Do this.

Old 11-12-2015, 02:07 AM   #162
Jayela

Drives: 2013 Nissan GT-R, 1985 Porsche 944
Garage
Thanks a lot, now i'm confident i can do the studs
Jayela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 11:47 AM   #163
hmong337
Emperor JDM

Drives: '91 MR2 Gen3 3SGTE, '13 FRS
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizz View Post
So I removed the rear hubs to install my Nismo studs....and after all that hard work I realised that the new stud will easily fit without removing the hubs. Doh!!!

So guys, if you're installing these Nismo 50mm studs on the rear, all you need to do is remove rotors and hammer out the old stud. Also used an impact wrench with washers to fit the new studs make installation a breeze. Few zaps and new studs are secured!
Thanks @Fizz

Stupid me I was in a hurry to change over to my winter wheels/tires and accidentally cross threaded one of my rear studs and ruining the lug nut in the process.

Great to know that I don't need to remove the hub. I will be installing just another oem stud so I assume I should have plenty of room.
Old 11-21-2015, 05:32 PM   #164
travisb

Drives: N/A
Garage
I just completed installing new studs on the rear. Now I have a check engine light and error code p0500. Something to do with vehicle speed sensor. I removed them and replaced them as instructed. I'm not sure why I am getting the error. Suggestions?
Old 11-21-2015, 05:32 PM   #165
Books

Drives: Ultramarine FR-S (MT)
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
First time doing rear extended studs. So due to three New England winters, my car is pretty rusted up.

Attempt #1 ended up with not being able to get the stud assembly thing out.

Attempt #2, did some research and bought a slide hammer. The whole assembly was rusted together and instead of pulling it all out, I just got stud carrier thing (?) as pictured:

I was able to slide hammer it all back in... I was wondering if there were any repercussions to pulling that out? I think I probably should have regreased it but I didn't have any at the time.

Did a quick drive around and everything sounded fine. Anything I should note by pulling the whole bearing out?

Old 11-21-2015, 06:47 PM   #166
travisb

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by travisb View Post
I just completed installing new studs on the rear. Now I have a check engine light and error code p0500. Something to do with vehicle speed sensor. I removed them and replaced them as instructed. I'm not sure why I am getting the error. Suggestions?
I unscrewed, removed, replaced, and screwed in both sensors again. I disconnected the battery.

The error code came back up. I cleared the code. Powered off the car and back on and the code is still there.
Old 11-21-2015, 09:10 PM   #167
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Drives: Stuff
Thanked 5,965 Times in 2,689 Posts
Mentioned: 262 Post(s)
Tagged: 8 Thread(s)
Does it say which wheel sensor? I can't recall if the BRZ/FRS use a VSS or just base VSS off all 4 wheel sensors or a specific one.
@Books - that's normally a bad thing for the bearing. I'd replace that if it were me but at the very least keep a close watch on it.
Tow: 2022 F-450
Toys: 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1994 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Parts: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited, 2005 Acura TSX
Projects: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited track car build
FS: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 LT CCSB 8.1/Allison with 99k miles
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 10:10 PM   #168
travisb

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-ROR View Post
Does it say which wheel sensor? I can't recall if the BRZ/FRS use a VSS or just base VSS off all 4 wheel sensors or a specific one.
@Books - that's normally a bad thing for the bearing. I'd replace that if it were me but at the very least keep a close watch on it.
I'm using torque on Android. It did not say which sensor.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk