follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 03-02-2017, 11:24 AM   #1
Protege13

Drives: Mazda Protege 2003
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Help me choose between two FRS's

Well, here I am. Back again. I almost bought a brand new 2016 FRS last December, but the salesman was such a jerk that I decided not to.

I went back on the hunt for a car, went to the auto show, test drove some new ones at lots, and although I liked a lot of them - I'm back at my original conclusion. I want an FRS... and my current car is almost dead, so time is becoming a factor.

So, I have two options right now. Which one would you buy?

2014 Whiteout FRS (manual) with 35k miles , Monogram edition , 5 hour drive away to pick it up. Asking price is $19,000 before tax/tite/etc.

The car has curb rash on passenger side front tire. Minor paint chip on front bumper (almost not noticeable). On the drivers side front bumper, there is a scrape. Paint scraped off. See pic:

OR

2014 Whiteout FRS (manual) with 41k miles. Standard model. 1 hour drive to pickup. Asking price is $16,900 before tax/tags/title. No damage that I know of, looks clean.

Both cars have only one previous owner, no listed issues. Clean carfax.

Which of these cars would you pick and why? Also, what would you offer them price wise? How much do you think it would cost to fix that bumper? The guy says its just scraped, not dented at all.
Protege13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 11:26 AM   #2
86geek

Drives: 2015 FRS Asphalt
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
IMHO get the one with 41K miles since no paint/bumper damage. Front bumper is expensive and whiteout paint is hard to match if you decide to get the bumper repainted. Just my 2 cents!

Opti-Coat & Cquartz Finest, Apexi Drop in Filter, 2.5 Perrin Res. Catback Exhaust
86geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 11:33 AM   #3
Protege13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86geek View Post
IMHO get the one with 41K miles since no paint/bumper damage. Front bumper is expensive and whiteout paint is hard to match if you decide to get the bumper repainted. Just my 2 cents!
I was kinda leaning this way too. There's another base mode 2014 whiteout FRS with 32k miles but they are asking $19,900, and they didn't seem like they wanted to budge when I talked with them. I didn't think the relative 10k miles was worth an extra 3 grand. Do you?
Old 03-02-2017, 11:50 AM   #4
Vital

Drives: 2015 BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protege13 View Post
I was kinda leaning this way too. There's another base mode 2014 whiteout FRS with 32k miles but they are asking $19,900, and they didn't seem like they wanted to budge when I talked with them. I didn't think the relative 10k miles was worth an extra 3 grand. Do you?
Depends on if you want to spend that extra 3K on a Monogram edition.
Vital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 11:53 AM   #5
TommyW

Drives: '13 Whiteout
Thanked 1,242 Times in 673 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
The less expensive one for sure a few less miles for that much more isn't worth it plus sounds to be in better shape. I'd get a PPI though
TommyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 11:54 AM   #6
Protege13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vital View Post
Depends on if you want to spend that extra 3K on a Monogram edition.
I don't want to spend more than 23k out the door, so it's definitely within my budget. The more money I can save, the better, but that's obvious

I really love the features of the monogram - but the paint damage concerns me. I have no idea how much it would be to fix it, or if it's just too much of a hassle.
Old 03-02-2017, 11:57 AM   #7
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
I don't want to spend more than 23k out the door, so it's definitely within my budget. The more money I can save, the better, but that's obvious

I really love the features of the monogram - but the paint damage concerns me. I have no idea how much it would be to fix it, or if it's just too much of a hassle.
The paint damage in it's self isn't such a big deal but you have to ask your self how it happened and why they left it like that. If they did it themselves by hammering the car around and then left it because they just didn't care then what other hidden abuses has it been through?
DAEMANO (03-03-2017)
Old 03-02-2017, 12:02 PM   #8
Protege13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
The paint damage in it's self isn't such a big deal but you have to ask your self how it happened and why they left it like that. If they did it themselves by hammering the car around and then left it because they just didn't care then what other hidden abuses has it been through?
Thanks. This was the first thought I had, too. It could be that they didn't care since they were trading it in (and it wasn't worth paying to repair it) or, more likely, they tossed it around. I think if it ONLY had the scrape, it might not be as bad - but the fact that it also has the curb rash on the tire, and some minor paint in the front flecked off (kinda like they didnt pay attention to ground clearance when parking and bumped stuff a lot).... kinda seems to indicate they might not have been great owners.

The 41k mile was a one-owner lease car, back from lease. It seems pretty good, I was just hoping to get a car with less miles. Then again, I bought my protege at 40k miles and it lasted me almost a decade!
Old 03-02-2017, 12:05 PM   #9
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Thanks. This was the first thought I had, too. It could be that they didn't care since they were trading it in (and it wasn't worth paying to repair it) or, more likely, they tossed it around. I think if it ONLY had the scrape, it might not be as bad - but the fact that it also has the curb rash on the tire, and some minor paint in the front flecked off (kinda like they didnt pay attention to ground clearance when parking and bumped stuff a lot).... kinda seems to indicate they might not have been great owners.

The 41k mile was a one-owner lease car, back from lease. It seems pretty good, I was just hoping to get a car with less miles. Then again, I bought my protege at 40k miles and it lasted me almost a decade!
Well the scrapes don't necessarily make them a bad owner and I think we have all tangled with a stop log at some point but it does throw an element of doubt into the equation.
Old 03-02-2017, 12:32 PM   #10
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
The damage could be nothing, but you never know.

I would get the cheaper, closer one myself.

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 12:35 PM   #11
TommyW

Drives: '13 Whiteout
Thanked 1,242 Times in 673 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
The cheaper one will leave cash for mods!
TommyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 01:09 PM   #12
wrh3
billswebspace.com

Drives: 2017 Alfa 4C, 2019 Fiat 124 Abarth
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
My experience with used cars, cars that are physically in great condition have been cared for by their owners and this rolls over to mechanical maintenance as well. Cars that show physical abuse tend to have been abused in other unseen ways as Tcoat stated. Even though I prefer Monogram over base, if the base car is in better physical condition that is the one I would opt for (and it's cheaper too).
Old 03-02-2017, 01:20 PM   #13
ST185RC

Drives: White Out FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
the only thing i'd want from the monogram is the headlights. but then you can get those now for the price difference.

the interior is functionally identical except for the climate control and heated seats which you don't get in the base. But the car is so small that it really doesn't matter. The base one just looks dated without the toggle switches. I guess the only thing else is that I hate where the start button is as it makes the cubby even smaller where I am already barely able to put a few pens in.

I very much prefer not having the absolute shit bespoke radio in my car to be honest. The stock, kinda ugly base radio has nearly no start up time and does everything faster.

I'd stick with the base. To me, besides aesthetics, the monogram serves absolutely no better than the base. In fact, in my opinion, it's functionally worse since the radio sucks and lags a bit, the toggle switches make you wait while I can just rip the dial to whatever vent i want with the flick of the wrist, the cubby is laughably small.

I have never been, and never will be a fan of heated seats.
ST185RC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ST185RC For This Useful Post:
daiheadjai (03-03-2017)
Old 03-02-2017, 06:00 PM   #14
sgtcarrot

Drives: Scion FR-S 2015 Blue and stock
I would stick with the base for the reasons mentioned above. Rest assured, I think you will love either one, so you win both ways!
sgtcarrot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sgtcarrot For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (03-02-2017)