follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 07-21-2012, 07:49 PM   #57
Powered By Jay

Drives: Asphalt FR-S MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by empower-auto View Post
Interesting. It's the same part number as the one for a 2003-2008 Corolla.
Powered By Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 08:00 PM   #58
dori.
Señor Member

Drives: white BRZ 6MT
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcelir8brz View Post
Good morning.

Last night I received the K&N Drop-In Filter via UPS for my BRZ right from K&N’s web site for about $50 shipped and installed it without issue.

In this quick post, I am not going to get into the benefits of an aftermarket filter, but rather provide some quick initial impressions.

Pros

• RPM’s Rev more freely
• Power band ‘feels’ smoothed out
• Acceleration is achieved quicker
• A ‘slight’ increase in suction sound
• Quality Product
• Retains the BRZ Excitement and Giggle Factor
• Worth the $50 Spent

Cons

• None
"I'm not going to get into listing the benefits of an aftermarket filter"

^lists benefits

lmao
dori. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 01:14 AM   #59
_hollywood

Drives: 97 itr sold
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sho220 View Post
K&N's = waste of time and money for no performance gain...

No, just service them properly and they will last the life of your vehicle , maybe wipe some oil off of your brand new filter, and put it in

http://www.knfilters.com/news/news.aspx?id=157
FR-S #56 of 86 Raven MT ***FOR SALE***
_hollywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:47 PM   #60
86WRX

Drives: Asphalt
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Smile Drop in filter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FT-86 SpeedFactory View Post
Tons of great drop in's out there and in stock with lots of places. Simplest way to gain some throttle response.
In your professional opinion, which one is better?
86WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 02:55 AM   #61
kioton32

Drives: 14' Monogram FRS, ulramarine, white
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I have an auto and with the K&N filter there is no more lag in my throttle response... The stock paper filter was starving the engine of air off the line and at the top end... The K&N drop on has helped enough for me to notice a difference and I have many other cars to compare it to. For anyone with an automatic that doesn't want a CAI this is what you should go with... Not to pricey and you get a good product that allows your vehicle to breath freely.
Old 05-28-2013, 08:55 AM   #62
Mikem53

Drives: FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86WRX View Post
In your professional opinion, which one is better?
Read this info.. A real unbiased test from a well known knowledgeable source

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest1.htm

Basically.. His tests reveal that the foam/oiled filters do flow better.. But at the cost of allowing dirt in your engine. That the difference is negligible and not worth the minimal gains if any.. That the stock setup is more than adequate and filters better. I'll stick with stock setup and sacrifice that .2 HP increase for longevity..

"The factory airbox and piping with no filter yielded a pressure drop of 5.0 inches of water or 0.18 psi. That means that the worst filter in this test only caused a pressure drop of 0.07 psi. In my opinion, this means that if you are picking an air filter based on performance, you probably aren't doing your car any favors."
Mikem53 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mikem53 For This Useful Post:
ubersoph (06-27-2013)
Old 05-28-2013, 02:56 PM   #63
kombatlion
Life to short to be slow!

Drives: Toyota GT86
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Wow most of you guys are filter Nazis... this is better, no this is better... let the guy post his opinion on his filter and drive on. Why all the critics here like you are some mechanical engineer and you did a lot of test to come to the conclusion that k&N suck. I had it for years in my GTI 1.8T no problem what so ever I have it now in my FRS 10,000 miles no problems yet.

So if you don't like K&N keep the opinion to yourself we just don't care about critics most of you came from a Civic anyway.
I bet there is no horsepower gains or maybe 2hp I dont know havent dyno my car yet, but I just dont like the way you critiziced others is not a good way in my book, FAN BOYS!
kombatlion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 03:18 PM   #64
OnkelC

Drives: 2017 Fiesta ST
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kombatlion View Post
Wow most of you guys are filter Nazis... this is better, no this is better... let the guy post his opinion on his filter and drive on. Why all the critics here like you are some mechanical engineer and you did a lot of test to come to the conclusion that k&N suck. I had it for years in my GTI 1.8T no problem what so ever I have it now in my FRS 10,000 miles no problems yet.

So if you don't like K&N keep the opinion to yourself we just don't care about critics most of you came from a Civic anyway.
I bet there is no horsepower gains or maybe 2hp I dont know havent dyno my car yet, but I just dont like the way you critiziced others is not a good way in my book, FAN BOYS!
[ame]http://youtu.be/FONN-0uoTHI[/ame]
OnkelC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OnkelC For This Useful Post:
kombatlion (05-28-2013)
Old 06-27-2013, 08:12 AM   #65
BadMoon

Drives: 2014 GLI Autobahn/Nav
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DbkmThHYMs"]2013 Scion FR-S Intake: K&N Replacement Filter Dyno Test - YouTube[/ame]

So I found this today. Why would anyone replace the full intake system if this is true? It appears just a drop in grants the same gains as the full $400 TRD system.

Now I'm no mechanic. Can anyone speak to this in a more technical level?
BadMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 02:00 AM   #66
Fast_Freddy

Drives: Passat
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Every car is different. Scion TCs and XBs both gain over 10whp from most CAI's but almost nothing from drop-in filters. In their case the restriction is in the airbox and/or intake piping while in our case the small panel filter appears to be the biggest restriction. My XB had a much larger panel filter than my FRS despite making only 160bhp.

BTW I installed a K&N filter today and was very disappointed to see how little surface area the filter has. I don't remember previous K&N filters having so much excess poly clogging the filter media around the perimeter. I'd estimate that the K&N has about 1/2 the filter surface area of the oem Denso. In order to flow better than oem the K&N has to utilize a much coarser filter media, which it obviously does. I just hope it's worth all the extra dirt in my engine for the 5whp peak hp gain.
Fast_Freddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 02:53 AM   #67
Bristecom

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ PP
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast_Freddy View Post
BTW I installed a K&N filter today and was very disappointed to see how little surface area the filter has. I don't remember previous K&N filters having so much excess poly clogging the filter media around the perimeter. I'd estimate that the K&N has about 1/2 the filter surface area of the oem Denso. In order to flow better than oem the K&N has to utilize a much coarser filter media, which it obviously does. I just hope it's worth all the extra dirt in my engine for the 5whp peak hp gain.
That's why I like Green Filters. They have much more filter area than K&N and are better quality overall. BMC Filters are better than K&N too.

BTW, I just noticed these filters are also used for several other Toyota engines, not Subaru engines. Yet another part that's Toyota based. :P

Last edited by Bristecom; 07-03-2013 at 03:10 AM.
Bristecom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:30 PM   #68
enwave
That headunit though...

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited SSM
Installed mine about a week ago, no major registry on the butt dyno except for some minor improvement in throttle response and MAYBE some top end power that is hardly noticeable. Definitely minor audible changes in the 5k-7k RPM range (with the noise generator still attached, at least). Estimating a 2-5hp depending on where in the RPM range you measure.

For $40 and 15 minutes, it was worth it to me despite there not being a drastic improvement. Nobody should honestly think that an air filter is going to make a night and day difference in their vehicle, but it won't make a night and day difference in your wallet either...

EDIT: This is before my exhaust system is installed. I would expect the air filter will become a little more useful when I can pump a little more air out as well.
enwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 02:09 PM   #69
Fast_Freddy

Drives: Passat
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bristecom View Post
That's why I like Green Filters. They have much more filter area than K&N and are better quality overall. BMC Filters are better than K&N too.

BTW, I just noticed these filters are also used for several other Toyota engines, not Subaru engines. Yet another part that's Toyota based. :P
I considered Green but having no experience with them and 30 years with K&N, I stayed with what I know. I'd like to see them side by side. Maybe I'll go with Green next time. I really wanted a aFe Proguard 7 or AEM Dryflow but they don't make them for us.

I really like Subaru but the more Toyota the better, IMO.
Fast_Freddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 03:38 PM   #70
Bristecom

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ PP
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast_Freddy View Post
I considered Green but having no experience with them and 30 years with K&N, I stayed with what I know. I'd like to see them side by side. Maybe I'll go with Green next time. I really wanted a aFe Proguard 7 or AEM Dryflow but they don't make them for us.

I really like Subaru but the more Toyota the better, IMO.
Yeah, well I found out about them back in 2004/2005 when they were used in every WRC car engine. If you compare them side by side, you will definitely see the quality difference between the two. Green is the only one that has filter area that goes to the edge and the panel is usually narrower than K&N due to their rubber molding technology. Plus, they are the same price or cheaper. My filter has held up great for the past 6 years and it made a noticeable gain in power/response in both our cars so I've been happy with them.

BMC has more prestige than any other since they are used in race winning F1 cars, Le Mans/GT cars, MotoGP bikes, etc, but I still think Green has a slight edge in quality.
Tomzilla (07-17-2013)