follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 06-27-2016, 01:27 PM   #85
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
ELIKE. Hilarious. I thought it was a pic of a Fluke meter Tcoat was just using as an example.

I got my $800 Fluke meter for $175 at Unclaimed Baggage in Scottsboro, AL. I swear you could set a bomb off under that thing and still be able to use it.
extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to extrashaky For This Useful Post:
justatroll (06-27-2016), Tcoat (06-27-2016)
Old 06-27-2016, 01:31 PM   #86
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Silveira View Post
@Summerwolf The idea that the battery went flat is definitely a possibility. The doors were left open for the entirety of the tint installation.

@Braces I'll definitely keep you posted on the outcome whenever that long awaited day arrives.

@Tcoat Damn! I must admit I have been waiting for input from you Tcoat! Glad it's finally come. I will definitely look into putting a new battery in. Just so I'm clear though, you're saying its normal to have every single electric feature available but still not be able to crank because of low battery? Also, according to Steve99 if the battery were to flat out it would cause my ECU readings to hit "0" but if a battery were indeed "flat" wouldn't that mean absolutely no power to do electrical things? Lastly, what would be the reason for the flashing immobilizer light if it was indeed battery related? Also, sorry Tcoat and Mav1178 I created multiple threads so that I could gather as much feedback as possible. I didn't want to just post in one thread for fear that certain members never check that section and thus I lose input.

@Romanov thanks for the input, it seems that this battery stuff is a reoccurring issue. Crazy to think for a 30k car.
Weekends are all done from my phone so my activity is restricted to signal availability so I don't check as many threads. The only issue with the multiple threads is that it can get confusing fast. Can you imagine if everybody with an issue posted in 6 spots? Just one clearly labeled thread will get al the responses you could need (and apparently bring the conspiracy theorists out of the wood work)

Yes, it is perfectly normal for a car with a low battery to have enough power to light everything up but not start. The real clue for me was when you said they moved the car out but kept the doors open so the tint would not touch. It probably sat a long time with those doors open and that could easily take you below the threshold where there was enough power to start it.

What we know:
The car worked fine before the tint shop.
Your investigation into the tint shop showed nothing they could have done to the ECU (nice job on watching the tapes by the way).
The car is known to have had the doors open for a prolonged time.
An attempt to boost it failed. Not unknown for a boost to not work.
Your dealer gave you a couple of stories about the ECU so I won't even consider their statements about any of the readings being what they were and disregard everything they told you.
No place did you say they charged the battery or even checked it.

If I am wrong I owe you a beer (if you are old enough to drink)!
Jordan Silveira (06-27-2016)
Old 06-27-2016, 01:38 PM   #87
Jordan Silveira

Drives: 2016 Subaru Series.HyperBlue #631
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
@krayzie @Tcoat Thank you so much! I will definitely look into getting a battery voltage test in the works. I have to let the SoA investigation conclude first. Not to mention, I am currently on a train to San Diego for work. I would normally be driving my baby but not this time Also, I will consolidate to this one thread. Ha by the way, 24 so maybe I'll take you up on that offer if I ever venture into the great north!
Old 06-27-2016, 01:41 PM   #88
WolfpackS2k

Drives: '12 C63 P31, '23 GRC
Thanked 2,072 Times in 1,185 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Garage
I've only read this thread, but has anyone suggested trying to roll start the car? (assuming it's a manual transmission).

That would be a sure fire way to isolate the problem to the ignition system.
Old 06-27-2016, 01:46 PM   #89
Jordan Silveira

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k View Post
I've only read this thread, but has anyone suggested trying to roll start the car? (assuming it's a manual transmission).

That would be a sure fire way to isolate the problem to the ignition system.
That was never done but trust and believe when I get the car back in my possession assuming SoA doesn't want to help I'll be trying all these out before paying to get it fixed.
Old 06-28-2016, 10:01 AM   #90
zc06_kisstherain

Drives: SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
yeah you dont have to double thread..all members are car maniac and already read your thread.

dont expect any company to respond within 1 hour!! they all have to discuss or make decision internally then get back to you
if you cannot get response or actions from SOA within 3-4 days then get lawyer or send proper letter that you'll take legal actions with certified mail to both SOA and place your car was sold.

everything will take time and you have to follow up patiently.
worst case in scenario, just get OFT or ECUtek to move on.

Last edited by zc06_kisstherain; 06-29-2016 at 04:35 PM.
zc06_kisstherain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zc06_kisstherain For This Useful Post:
FRSBRZGT86FAN (06-30-2016)
Old 06-30-2016, 07:21 PM   #91
Jordan Silveira

Update Time:

Hey All,

So… distress, frustration, and more have only gotten worse. As it currently stands, I was in San Diego for business up until yesterday evening. I received a call yesterday afternoon from an SoA rep who told me they stand by PHS and are convinced that based on the numbers and readings, my car has been flashed or tuned. Furthermore, because of this SoA will not only not cover my warranty, but will flag my car and not assist in any financial form for this repair. I asked for the supervisor of the rep and of course was told they would have to call me in the next 1-2 days. In Short, this is an ever-growing nightmare. Lastly, I called the Service Manager at PHS to ask about getting some time to get my car out of his lot at which point he said I had until Saturday so I am currently working on getting a tow in progress to my house where I can park it and figure out what’s next. However, the interesting part is when I spoke with SoA they told me a district rep/warranty rep would be out to PHS to review the case and put together a report and then come to a decision on the warranty, well, the service manager told me yesterday that no one officially came by but that he only spoke to someone from SoA earlier in the day and he confirmed his beliefs/findings. The importance of this is that it makes me think that SoA being the shitty corporate arm that they are, took his word for it as an authorized retailer in order to save time, money, and effort and in turn, leave me to take a periless plunge for something I didn’t do. Anyways, as always I appreciate all the helpful responses I have received and continually appreciate the time you all spend helping in this process. I am tense, fragile, and quite upset/distressed by all this. I don’t know what to do and nothing hurts more at the moment than being innocent and being essentially convicted for something you didn’t do.
Old 06-30-2016, 07:49 PM   #92
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
....wtf. Get that car out of there asap.
Summerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 07:54 PM   #93
Jordan Silveira

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwolf View Post
....wtf. Get that car out of there asap.
Working on it at the moment.
Old 06-30-2016, 09:50 PM   #94
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Silveira View Post
Working on it at the moment.

If you have AAA have them tow it to a different shop non subaru maybe an ecutek tuner or something. It seems they are adamant that it's a tune which is unusual for a used car with so low miles, get someone who can read the cal id
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FRSBRZGT86FAN For This Useful Post:
Jordan Silveira (06-30-2016)
Old 06-30-2016, 09:56 PM   #95
Bach415

Drives: Whiteout FRS
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
I think what you should do is go to the dealership, get the car and try popping the clutch or replacing the battery right there and then and try to start the car before you tow it out. If the car starts, then you know its an incorrect diagnosis and you can complain to them and SoA that it was not a tune fault and get you unflagged. Since the car has less than 200 miles, worked before the tint shop, I doubt it's a tune fault.
Bach415 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bach415 For This Useful Post:
Jordan Silveira (06-30-2016)
Old 06-30-2016, 11:09 PM   #96
justatroll

Drives: Full race 4cyl boxer
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSBRZGT86FAN View Post
If you have AAA have them tow it to a different shop non subaru maybe an ecutek tuner or something. It seems they are adamant that it's a tune which is unusual for a used car with so low miles, get someone who can read the cal id
you can rent/borrow an OBDII reader from a local autozone.
It can read the ECU Cal ID.

My $10 ELM Bluetooth OBD module can do that.
justatroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 11:09 PM   #97
Jordan Silveira

@FRSBRZGT86FAN Thank you for the advice. I definitely have thought of that. I just don't have the time, money, or resources to be towing it around left and right. Just because at the moment I have no vehicle, don't want to spend without getting progress towards getting my baby running again, and resources just being patience and effort, sadly I am just so fragile and tense lately because of this issue mixed with stress and little to no sleep I just want to move past this nightmare of a time. I wish Delicious Tuning was close by and could do a mobile diagnosis.

@Bach415 that is definitely a solid idea I think my only issue is whether or not they will allow me to drop a battery in considering it is their lot and they probably for liability reasons don't want to risk an injury or accident, or want me to pay them to do that, or c) that they don't want to see it work and come back on them. What do you suggest? Also, does anyone know if you can buy a battery and then return it within the day if it doesn't work. I know feel free to call me cheap because I most definitely am frugal as hell but I won't even have a use for the battery if it doesn't work and I can't return it.
Old 06-30-2016, 11:18 PM   #98
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
You could probably return a battery if you were careful with it and didnt scratch it all up.

I, personally, wouldnt give one shit if they didnt want me swapping it in their lot. I would hope they would watch too. If that turns out to be your issue i would also want to raise hell and get my free warrantied battery from them and extra on top.

You don't have a friend or family member that could go with you? Maybe someone who isn't so fragile.

Personally.... i still think this is a simple fix they want to charge you a lot of money on and take advantage of you. They sense blood in the water and you are letting them take advantage of you.
Summerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Summerwolf For This Useful Post:
Bach415 (07-01-2016), FRSBRZGT86FAN (06-30-2016)