follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 03-25-2013, 06:46 PM   #43
tech4pdx
Make love

Drives: H8R.. Not really
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bristecom View Post
Thank you Moto-P! You know, now that you say that, I am reminded of an excellent transmission rebuilder who specialized in Mitsubishi transmissions who once explained the very same thing.

Although, I still think there is room for improvement for their transmission oil so hopefully they can focus on that.
Agreed on the oil comment. I really think that choice of factory fill and regional temp factors are what is causing the majority of complaints with the transmission.
tech4pdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 06:52 PM   #44
Moto-P

Drives: Many types of cars in R&D.
Thanked 3,058 Times in 568 Posts
Mentioned: 101 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Engineers for multi-billion dollar car firm as to pursue a perfect car, though that there is no such thing. And traditionally pleasing everyone must contain sacrifices.

However, let's just say that in case of the FT86, the engineers and the president of the firm both were 'passionate' and that resulted in a car that didn't please everyone, but a select few percent that really appreciate this sort of car.
It's a rare occurrence in a company like Subaru and more so for Toyota...

I just feel lucky to be even be allowed such regular communication channels where we as fans here, can collectively voice things and actually get a response on a personal level as I can to Tada-san, with your opinions and thoughts intact, and even suggest that I should report back to all of you like this. Let's keep this channel open, with constructive thoughts and courtesy, yes?
Consulting Member at Cusco, OEM+, RS-R.
www.club4ag.com
Moto-P is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Moto-P For This Useful Post:
chanomatik (02-10-2015), danthedirt (03-25-2013), demonpoofball (02-05-2015), Fly Guy (04-24-2013), ichitaka05 (03-25-2013), i_giado (03-25-2013), JoeC (08-08-2014), Nardi330 (03-27-2013), Purdue FR-S (04-03-2013), racecaresuaceb (03-25-2013), stock (04-05-2014), tech4pdx (03-25-2013), Theognosis (03-29-2013), twag4 (03-28-2014), Walldodger (03-27-2013)
Old 03-25-2013, 06:54 PM   #45
tech4pdx
Make love

Drives: H8R.. Not really
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto-P View Post
Yes, sometimes going to a friction modifier at your own risk, can make things more functional, and that is what all automotive enthusiasts encourages you to explore. Even CE Tada says he loves for all enthusiastic owners to covet and experiment with various features and modifications. But he too, while being left to enthuse more than ever as a Toyota corporate staff as a personal lover of automobile and motorsports, is still working within confines of a very large firm.

To really make him happy perhaps, is for us to bring feedback and suggestions as we do, and give them back the knowledge too. Some or most of the suggestions might not be something that can pass the rigorous other standards for chemical properties, longevity that Toyota aims for products, costs, and hundreds of parameters that assure Toyota who they are. But even a several billion dollar R&D resources at Toyota is nowhere near the R&D capability of all the enthusiastic owners and 3rd party teams combined.

I think it is fair to say, we can and should do our part in making the FRS/BRZ more our own, from here... and develop these cars together.

The ORIGINAL AE86 was a car that came with a few key essential parts and in a great package. But conjured from mere and simple Corolla pieces and bits, it was the owners and tuners, over the course of 30+ years that made them the cult cars and enjoyable and potent cars today. If the FT86 siblings carry the same blood, why don't we adore the car and repeat the process as owners and enthusiasts?
AE86 out of the showroom wasn't nearly as spiffy as most of the cooler AE's out there today. And FT86 should not be perfected just yet only 12 months after launch, if we can help it!

I've put RSR Ran-Up in the engine and got a few ponies more where it counts, right in the middle of the rev ranges. That's really not a lubricant, but surface friction modifier... I might even try it in a manual transmission car (mine's a paddle as you all know). If Super GT teams all use this and if GT500 Sard SC430 gets 9km/h trap speed at the end of the straight at Fuji using in their gearbox... And drivers all raving how stable the shift feel becomes in their sequential dog-box... Hummm... Maybe, just maybe?
Moto.. I really appreciate all of your comments and the direct connection you are helping to proxy to the design/engineering team. It means more than I can portray on this forum. I think we are all attracted to this car for a common reason: it emphasizes that positive emotion we all feel when we are truly connected to the car. It's been a long time for me.
tech4pdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:10 PM   #46
radroach

Drives: car
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRiSson View Post
That doesn't explain why the gear shifting is balky even after it is warmed up.

My shifter requires more throw force than I'd like, going 1st to 2nd to 3rd is too notchy, where it used to feel sweet and smooth; seamless; it's notchy, clicks into place. I'm at 5000 miles.

However, my friend at 18,000 miles in his FR-S has the smoothest action on his stick shifter. He hasn't changed the trans fluid.

Most 86's I've seen have a clicky, notchy feel; But a few I've seen have smooth buttery action. What might the case be for causing the difference in feel?.

Is there some maintenance that I could perform to fix this, perhaps the linkage or fluids? I'm bringing the issue to my dealership, and I'd like any researched opinions from the engineers on how to make the shift feel better, like it was new.

Last edited by radroach; 03-25-2013 at 07:22 PM.
radroach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:11 PM   #47
Moto-P

Garage
Quote:
Would you mind sharing some of the other complaints raised and any other feedback you got?

Also, can you tell them to turn off the stupid "Slip Off" light when you turn VSC Sport on. I don't see why both indicators need to be on the dash just for sport mode. It's a small thing but annoying and should be an easy fix for them. LOL....
Rough idle, rattling dash, convenience items lacking in Scion to make it fully loaded, Torsen LSD being a bit conservative for sports use, rear shock length being a bit short... etc... Most of these just more a wishlist than design fault or issues...

And many are being resolved. Select "Limited" grade appointment list of toys, were approved for certain very limited run for Scion to be released this year in the USA.

And rattling dash, like the foggy tail-lamps are being drilled for causes at production line and at the suppliers manufacturing tolerances and materials.

Torsen is as far as Toyota corporate wants to take, since any stiffer will make more noises and increased tire wear more than Toyota would like as a commonly available street car (so we can just resort to 4 pinion mechanical LSD if we want more from myriads of LSD makers).

Now your thing about the Traction Control and VSC lamps, there's actually 4 different combinations of VSC/TRC modes and combination of lamps indicate which mode it is on, so that really shouldn't be erased I think....LOL! AS for the TPS monitor lamp, that's a DOT thing that US government pressed upon all car makers, so my answer was to put a dash cluster overlay, and just stuck a black decal between it so I can't see the thing blinking. Maybe you can take the same approach.

Like this.

Not to plug our own Club4AG gear line but for mere answer to any dash lamps that annoy you.
www.club4ag.com
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Moto-P For This Useful Post:
Bristecom (03-25-2013), flippy (04-02-2014), Fly Guy (04-24-2013)
Old 03-25-2013, 07:16 PM   #48
Moto-P

Garage
I've also asked them (the Team86) about making a new cluster maybe, that deletes the needle dial speedometer (which is redundant for cars with digital speedometer) and using that space for oil temp/presure dials, and releasing it as TRD option replacement. They LOVE the idea, but at the same time, the tricky part is that such replacement of entire cluster in the USA, will put a 'red flag' in the vehicle registration tag since odometer would have to be replaced in the process.

But I'd do it for one!!! (OK going off in to a tangent off the original topic. So I'll stop)
www.club4ag.com
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Moto-P For This Useful Post:
Bristecom (03-25-2013), civicdrivr (03-26-2013), Fish (04-06-2013), Fly Guy (04-24-2013), ichitaka05 (03-25-2013), Ingen (03-25-2013), tech4pdx (03-25-2013)
Old 03-25-2013, 07:22 PM   #49
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Drives: ichi 86 Project
Thanked 19,052 Times in 8,327 Posts
Mentioned: 677 Post(s)
Tagged: 27 Thread(s)
Quote:
I've also asked them (the Team86) about making a new cluster maybe, that deletes the needle dial speedometer (which is redundant for cars with digital speedometer) and using that space for oil temp/presure dials, and releasing it as TRD option replacement. They LOVE the idea, but at the same time, the tricky part is that such replacement of entire cluster in the USA, will put a 'red flag' in the vehicle registration tag since odometer would have to be replaced in the process.

But I'd do it for one!!! (OK going off in to a tangent off the original topic. So I'll stop)
I think, you're not the only one do it.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:22 PM   #50
Bristecom

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ PP
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Rough idle, rattling dash, convenience items lacking in Scion to make it fully loaded, Torsen LSD being a bit conservative for sports use, rear shock length being a bit short... etc... Most of these just more a wishlist than design fault or issues...

And many are being resolved. Select "Limited" grade appointment list of toys, were approved for certain very limited run for Scion to be released this year in the USA.

And rattling dash, like the foggy tail-lamps are being drilled for causes at production line and at the suppliers manufacturing tolerances and materials.

Torsen is as far as Toyota corporate wants to take, since any stiffer will make more noises and increased tire wear more than Toyota would like as a commonly available street car (so we can just resort to 4 pinion mechanical LSD if we want more from myriads of LSD makers).
Wow, thank you soooo much! That's good info. Are you able to disclose any more info on the limited run of Scions? Is it the Release Series you are referring to? I am holding out for a 2014 model for myself but I don't have high hopes for the Release Series satisfying me as I really want it in red and without any body kits or TRD parts... Hmm.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:27 PM   #51
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Drives: ichi 86 Project
Thanked 19,052 Times in 8,327 Posts
Mentioned: 677 Post(s)
Tagged: 27 Thread(s)
Quote:
Wow, thank you soooo much! That's good info. Are you able to disclose any more info on the limited run of Scions? Is it the Release Series you are referring to? I am holding out for a 2014 model for myself but I don't have high hopes for the Release Series satisfying me as I really want it in red and without any body kits or TRD parts... Hmm.
From the sound of it, it's gonna be released w all the goodies...

Moto-san told me about this to persuade me to buy FR-S

Anyways, back on topic, Thank you for the information Moto-san.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:30 PM   #52
racecaresuaceb

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ LTD
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Thanks for sharing the feedback Moto-P.

Honestly, the second gear is not too big an issue for me because it goes away after just 5 minutes. I actually like driving this car in the cold because the shifts are chunkier and go ka-chunk ka-chunk between the gates probably because the transmission fluid is still thick.
racecaresuaceb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 01:30 AM   #53
Dezoris

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 2,997 Times in 1,095 Posts
Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
I appreciate the fact that there is a line of communication open about issues with the car.

It would be nice if they offered a solution "AKA different trans fluid" for the cold climate users. Because lets face it whatever the excuse in regards to the trans, I don't like grinding gears, having difficulty engaging gears and skipping gears while I wait 10 minutes for the trans to heat up. It's a street car.

I was one of those who first swapped fluids and it helped, but does not fix the issues.
Basically I don't like having to find a remedy for something the engineers should have accounted for in cold weather testing. It's unfair to expect your customers to be ok with it. That's really the point.
Old 03-26-2013, 04:31 PM   #54
root

Drives: Raven FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Yes, I think my only complaint of ergonomics & interior is the useless analog speedo and lack of auxiliary gauges! Shifting a fine for me but it doesn't get cold here.
root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 04:53 PM   #55
zenki_levin
Road Warrior

Drives: AE86 Levin
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Both my ae86's have this too. Second gear is a bitch to shift in, it's fine when the car is warmed up.

Because racecar
Old 03-26-2013, 05:52 PM   #56
civicdrivr

Drives: 2018 Golf R
Thanked 1,095 Times in 647 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 7 Thread(s)
Quote:
IIRC its going to be the Anniversary Edition, I believe Ive read about the entire Scion line having Anniversary Editions later this year.

Re: Second Gear - It doesnt bother me. I don't drive the car hard until its up to temp, and by the time I get to the main road, its already warm enough for the shift to be smoother. Every single one of my cars have had this issue when cold, and those were far from track inspired street cars.
Bristecom (03-27-2013)