follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

View Poll Results: Would you have even consider a hybrid 86/FR-S if it was built?
Yes, I would 25 25.51%
No way 73 74.49%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Old 06-10-2014, 03:49 PM   #85
FRSupra

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezoris View Post
it becomes a no brainer to offer a high performance version of it since it's become one of the biggest tuner cars in the past 10 years.
Aftermarket support or popularity of a certain vehicle as a "tuner car" is irrelevant in this context. The 86 was built as a lightweight, superb handling NA true sports car, a high performance version is not only not needed, but it's not wanted, at least by the people who love this car for what it is.

If you want a higher performance RWD Japanese coupe, then I would recommend the 370Z.

And I don't want to hear anything about it being too heavy, because that is what power does, adds weight. Bigger engine, more weight. That's exactly what you're asking for. You want power well there it is. If you want lightweight handling then the 86 is for you.
FRSupra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 04:24 PM   #86
Jonsey

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSupra View Post
If you want a higher performance RWD Japanese coupe, then I would recommend the 370Z.

And I don't want to hear anything about it being too heavy, because that is what power does, adds weight. Bigger engine, more weight. That's exactly what you're asking for. You want power well there it is. If you want lightweight handling then the 86 is for you.
Unfortunately, this argument is not true in all circumstances. There have been several cars produced with more power than the BRZ that are lighter. Also, to add a supercharger/turbo to this car does not add much weight. I want a more powerful, lightweight handling car and the 86 can be this. There are a number of people who have built theirs to do this, some of us just want that option from the factory and would be willing to pay for it.
Jonsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 04:27 PM   #87
Dezoris

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 2,997 Times in 1,095 Posts
Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Aftermarket support or popularity of a certain vehicle as a "tuner car" is irrelevant in this context. The 86 was built as a lightweight, superb handling NA true sports car, a high performance version is not only not needed, but it's not wanted, at least by the people who love this car for what it is.

I am so sick of this argument, everyone getting butt hurt when you say the car is slow. These same people are those who have never operated the car in a competitive fashion for more than 10 minutes.

Not once did I say, get rid of the NA pile. Add another trim level like most manufacturers do. Adding a high performance model. STI, TRD whatever is common sense.

155WHP is not enough for a "sports car" of this generation for those who use the car for track etc. The chassis can easily handle an additional power without ruining balance. I tell this to the people I meet at events who complain about modding etc. Once they drive the car and see the potential the opinions change very fast. So if aftermarket can do it properly OEM should have zero issues.

I am glad they dumped the hybrid idea, its the last thing they need to do is add anymore complications to the car in terms of drivetrain, ECU, and battery nonsense.
Old 06-10-2014, 04:29 PM   #88
jjaisli

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Firestorm
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:

I think the point that @Dezoris is trying to make, is that speed and power and stats and perception sell cars. And if they launched a 2.5 liter or turbo or supercharged version of this car, from the factory with say, 250~280 hp, without a huge bump in cost or complexity, they would suddenly sell a LOT more of them. Because the perception out there is that this car is 'slow'.

We can make all the arguments we want about it's Zen like balance of power and handling. But speed sells.

EDIT: Or I can just wait for him to respond himself.
jjaisli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 04:43 PM   #89
Dezoris

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 2,997 Times in 1,095 Posts
Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjaisli View Post
I think the point that @Dezoris is trying to make, is that speed and power and stats and perception sell cars. And if they launched a 2.5 liter or turbo or supercharged version of this car, from the factory with say, 250~280 hp, without a huge bump in cost or complexity, they would suddenly sell a LOT more of them. Because the perception out there is that this car is 'slow'.

We can make all the arguments we want about it's Zen like balance of power and handling. But speed sells.

EDIT: Or I can just wait for him to respond himself.
People who like sports car generally care about HP. As it pertains to this car HP can be added as you said with boring out the motor, adding FI with a minimal weight penalty namely when they add supporting items such as lighter brakes, wheels etc.

Is it all going to add cost, absolutely but how many people on this forum have spent at least 3k on nonsense already.
Old 06-10-2014, 04:52 PM   #90
jjaisli

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Firestorm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezoris View Post

Is it all going to add cost, absolutely but how many people on this forum have spent at least 3k on nonsense already.
TRD CAI
TRD Catback Exhuast
Lighter wheels
Open Flash Tablet
Catless UEL header

Guilty

I wouldn't call it 'nonsense' though. For me personally, the power isn't bad. I just didn't like the torque dip and the above steps pretty much eliminates it. And adds a bit of oopmf up top. Enough to notice. Which is nice. I think if the powertrain was like this from the factory I would have left it stock.

(Just waiting for somebody to tell me I don't know how to drive it or keep it in the power band)
jjaisli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 04:53 PM   #91
LadyFRZ
Car N00b

Drives: 97 Miata
Thanked 1,167 Times in 450 Posts
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
First of all,what's that little white car under the new supra in OP?

Gt86 better still be built, I still need one! Plus with all the added competition rising (Kia, Nissan), it'd be dumb not to play a role in bringing back the RWD.

I dunno,it'd be kinda funny to see a hybrid gt86. Prius tires, hybrid gt86..Harhar.
LadyFRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 04:54 PM   #92
johnnyfast11

Drives: none yet
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
OP stop posting waste of time threads. seriously.
johnnyfast11 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to johnnyfast11 For This Useful Post:
OICU812 (06-10-2014)
Old 06-10-2014, 05:04 PM   #93
Sideways&Smiling

Drives: AP2 S2000, S14 240sx
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:

Uh, no. Not at all. Repeating this over and over won't make it any more true. The 370z is heavy because its built on the same platform as Nissan's luxury sedans. It is meant to be a bigger, compromised, semi-luxurious GT sort of car, not a pure sports car. Just because no lightweight, affordable RWD coupes/roadsters with power exist right now doesn't mean that they can't. I repeat, again, Silvia, RX7, S2000.
Sideways&Smiling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 06:33 PM   #94
Levi

Drives: Toyota
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
GT86 successor "will be", direct or indirect (hybrid), but very unlikely built like the current one, using Subaru platform and Subaru engine.
Levi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 07:33 PM   #95
Lavalover

Drives: 2014 FR-S Monogram Hot Lava
Evidently there are a lot of folks that have no idea what hybrid technology applied to a sports car can provide. Electric motors are torque monsters. If you combine an electric motor with a gasoline engine you (can) have low end torque with high end horsepower. Possibly, this would be expensive and difficult. But certainly not a bad thing if it could be done.

Let's loose the Prius mentality. Think more along the lines of the 918.
Lavalover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 07:45 PM   #96
vh_supra26
Site Moderator

Drives: Supra
Thanked 2,181 Times in 964 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyfast11 View Post
OP stop posting waste of time threads. seriously.
Excuse you? I'm contributing and sharing news with the forum.

I'm one of the original members that have contributed a lot to this forum since the beginning.

Who the hell are you? Some newbie thats thinks they're all bad ass.

Please do us a flavor and STFU and stop trolling.
vh_supra26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 07:49 PM   #97
vh_supra26
Site Moderator

Drives: Supra
Thanked 2,181 Times in 964 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFRZ View Post
First of all,what's that little white car under the new supra in OP?
It's the 2011 TES Concept T-Sports.

Its said to be a very early preview of the sub 86 car.

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...aby-ft-86.html
vh_supra26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 10:25 PM   #98
Sideways&Smiling

Drives: AP2 S2000, S14 240sx
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vh_supra26 View Post
It's the 2011 TES Concept T-Sports.

Its said to be a very early preview of the sub 86 car.

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...aby-ft-86.html
That thing looks extremely S2000-with-a-hard-top-ish.

Is this the MR2 successor? Mid-engine?
Sideways&Smiling is offline   Reply With Quote