follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 11-11-2013, 01:11 PM   #43
mrdanyo

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited (World Rally Blue)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Does anyone know what wires I need to do this on a 2014 Canadian model?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Old 12-10-2013, 01:17 PM   #44
davesbrz

Drives: '14 SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Painting the backup camera

Has anyone painted the body of one of these backup cameras?
I am thinking that it wouldn't be so difficult for me to mask the camera hole and get a rough match to SWP and make this camera look less visible.
Opinions? anyone done this?
Thanks!
davesbrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 02:48 PM   #45
THEWAKLER
USMC

Drives: DGM BRZ LMT
Just installed the Duo today, took about 2hrs thanks to this great guide! Only hiccup was the green grid line wire on the camera was ripped out when going through the trunk grommet, so have the 2 grids right now. Will install some new wire later this week to complete the circuit.
Old 02-13-2014, 11:02 AM   #46
zinzan

Drives: Subaru BRZ 2014 Limited WRB
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Damn--photobucket is not showing the pictures at this time. Should have printed off the guide before I needed it.

Can they be hosted somewhere else? Or does someone else have a PDF or something of the OP's original guide?

-Z
zinzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 12:11 PM   #47
kludger

Drives: '13 Boxter S, '13 BRZ(gone)
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinzan View Post
Damn--photobucket is not showing the pictures at this time. Should have printed off the guide before I needed it.

Can they be hosted somewhere else? Or does someone else have a PDF or something of the OP's original guide?

-Z
I had made a backup of this great DIY in case I lost track of it, and had uploaded the PDF of it to my Dropbox acct when someone asked earlier in the thread, you should still be able to download it here:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...0by%20Step.zip
kludger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kludger For This Useful Post:
a_dee (07-03-2015), djdnz (04-09-2014), zinzan (02-13-2014)
Old 02-13-2014, 12:11 PM   #48
FLYFISHR

Drives: 2014 BR"ZED" Sport-tech DGM MT
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinzan View Post

-Z
I hope the file is not to big but this is what I saved for my install.
djdnz (04-09-2014), Xx-Ness-xX (11-09-2015), zinzan (02-13-2014)
Old 02-13-2014, 02:16 PM   #49
zinzan

Garage
Great, thanks!
Old 02-13-2014, 05:16 PM   #50
mrdanyo

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited (World Rally Blue)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYFISHR View Post
I hope the file is not to big but this is what I saved for my install.
LMK how your install goes! I'm curious as to whether the install is the same on CDN 2014 models. I don't know if the wires will be the same considering it's a new head unit inside (Subaru, not Pioneer). When you're done, please help us CDN brz owners out and let us know what wires are needed!
Old 02-13-2014, 06:49 PM   #51
JS + BRZ
Banned

Drives: 2010 MS3
Thanked 1,161 Times in 597 Posts
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Maaannnnn can someone in LA area do this for me!?
JS + BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 02:03 PM   #52
leicaboss
Coffee Snob

Drives: '14 SWP BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
I wonder if there are any Bay Area folks willing to do this
leicaboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 10:26 PM   #53
BRZprime

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiny41 View Post
Rydeen Miny HD works with the SVXdc's harness also.

I didn't drill into my car. I routed the wire through the grommet used by the trunk release. Mounted the camera by the Rydeen license plate bracket.
I'm trying to do the exact same thing (no drill, rydeen miny with bracket). Do you have any pictures? Since you also have a limited, I'm wondering if the miny gets in the way of the trunk release?
BRZprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 11:22 PM   #54
tiny41

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited
Unfortunately the camera does kinda get in the way but I just got used to pushing the button off the side of the camera.

I also don't have pictures cause I've never really been much of a camera person. It tends to slow down my install and distract me.

For the grommet, you will need to have a small and sharp item to cut the center of the grommet. I used a small snap-on flat head you get free from the snap-on tool-man to "cut" it.

The grommet has 2 small holes that the trunk release wire goes through it. I cut the wall between the holes to turn the 2 holes into 1 large hole to thread through the camera wires through. After threading the camera wire through, I sealed with with some silicon sealants.
tiny41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 03:57 PM   #55
BRZprime

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiny41 View Post
Unfortunately the camera does kinda get in the way but I just got used to pushing the button off the side of the camera.

I also don't have pictures cause I've never really been much of a camera person. It tends to slow down my install and distract me.

For the grommet, you will need to have a small and sharp item to cut the center of the grommet. I used a small snap-on flat head you get free from the snap-on tool-man to "cut" it.

The grommet has 2 small holes that the trunk release wire goes through it. I cut the wall between the holes to turn the 2 holes into 1 large hole to thread through the camera wires through. After threading the camera wire through, I sealed with with some silicon sealants.
Okay I see, seems like I'll be doing the same thing. Thanks for the help!
BRZprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 08:14 PM   #56
zinzan

Garage
BRZ Limited Backup Camera Step by Step (WARNING long post, many pictures)

Great guide. I have a couple observations/tips:

Quote:
Originally Posted by runny_yolk View Post

Pull off the head unit trim panel. If you have a plastic wire/panel tool, this might help. I was able to pull this out simply with friction from the pair of vinyl gloves that I was wearing. Do not use a metal pry tool (certainly not a screw driver) so as to not scratch the trim panel.
I do have panel tools, but can easily get this trim piece off by hand:
* First, I remove the panel piece above the glove compartment by just pushing up on the bottom left corner with my thumb.
* The head unit trim could then be pulled out starting at the open edge.

Quote:

With the trim panel removed, use a deep 10mm socket to remove the four bolts holding the head unit in. Be careful not to drop any of these bolts as you will be dooooomed if you lose one (j/k, just be careful).
This isn't as scary as it may sound--the top two screws are very close at hand, so you can loosen them and finish unscrewing with your fingers. The bottom two screws are set further in, but if you did drop the screws while removing them, they won't fall very far as it's kinda "walled-off" in that area.

Quote:
Not necessary to remove the light sockets.

Quote:
Now drill the hole, for my camera, I needed a 1/4" drill bit.
I think a lot of people get scare of drilling into their car, but this is really easy. I'd suggest first drilling a pilot hole before graduating to the necessary hole size (5/16" for the Rydeen Duo).

Quote:

Now, gently pull out the two ends of the rubber conduit connecting the trunk to the body of the car (one side is labelled Door and the other is labelled Body). We will now need to pass the camera wire through here. This is probably the hardest part of the whole install. To make things easier: make sure you pass the smallest part of the wire through this conduit. That may mean feeding the butt-end of the wire instead of the head end (I failed to do this and it took forever to feed the wire). I also suggest using a screw driver to feed a length of string (I used a shoestring) through. That way, you can both push on the end of the wire to feed it through the conduit AND by tying the string around your wire, pull it through the conduit as well. Either way, this took me a good 30 minutes to successfully get through.
Actually, this wasn't too hard, using the OP's earlier drinking straw trick. I hand-compressed the conduit, straightening it out at the same time, then stuck a drinking straw through. I put a narrow chopstick in the straw to give it rigidity. Then I removed the chopstick and was able to feed the camera wire through pretty easily.

Quote:
Now it's time to start removing panels and running wire.

Start with the left-side kick-panel in the driver's side footwell. It's held on by one clip (similar to the clips holding the trunk roof liner). Loosen this clip and pull the panel out and back. It should come off.
Actually, the panel was still attached at the bottom under the door threshold trim. Remove the threshold trim first, then this panel.

Quote:
...You don't need to remove the panel, just create enough space for you to reach through and pass the cable. If you had a wire fish tape, you might even be able to do this without move the panel/loosening clips at all. I HAD a wire fish tape, but couldn't find it.
Yeah, as someone else suggested, having a fish tape makes this job much easier. You don't have to remove the seat or rear side panel. Once you've removed the door weatherstripping (just need to partially remove it around the bottom rear corner) and folded back the side panel in the trunk, you can easily run the fish tape down the side of the amp right along the smooth metal floorboard and all the way down to the opening where the weatherstripping has been pulled to the side. So easy.

Again, thank you to the OP, and everyone else here that contributed to this thread and the others that the OP referenced!

-Z

Last edited by zinzan; 03-24-2014 at 10:00 AM.