follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 08-13-2013, 02:24 AM   #1
MR_X

Drives: None
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Considering a FRS as a starter car for auto-x.

Really interested on the FRS as a DD and a weekend auto-x car. It seems like the perfect platform that fits what I'm looking for.

What I would like to know is what should I look into upgrading first. The first thing on my list is cooling so I be looking for a Koyo radiator and oil cooler kit. What else should I consider upgrading that are MUST to get me started? Once my confidence grows I will like to move up to HPDE events.

Thanks
MR_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 02:48 AM   #2
G_Ride

Drives: Some kind of Subaru
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Do you plan on running within a class or just for fun?
G_Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 02:56 AM   #3
MR_X

For fun but I'm pretty sure as I get better at it I might get more serious.
Old 08-13-2013, 04:39 AM   #4
suaveflooder

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 1,052 Times in 664 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Take it out there 100% stock. Car will be pretty good as it is, you will be horrible, lol. Save up for tires, you will ruin them within your first couple outings. Get something good and sticky next time (talking about tires), and just have fun. Ask questions, take people who have been doing it for awhile for a ride, or better yet, have them drive your car and pay attention to what they do.

Best bang for the buck is going to be seat time. You will not need cooling mods as most runs will be around a minute. Mod as needed and, did I mention, HAVE FUN!?
suaveflooder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to suaveflooder For This Useful Post:
EN2_Squirrel (08-13-2013), GTB/ZR-1 (08-13-2013), sonnydelight (08-13-2013), TofuDelivery (08-21-2013), travelmonkey (08-15-2013)
Old 08-13-2013, 08:06 AM   #5
sonnydelight

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S - Whiteout
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Pretty much what @suaveflooder said.

The best money you can spend on yourself in this situation is seat time.

You won't need any beefy cooling running a stock car at an autocross. Most runs are 40-60 seconds. IMHO, track days are where you will learn the most. Pay a little more, sign up for an HPDE, get seat time with an instructor, and let the addiction begin. THEN you may need some beefier cooling haha. Good luck, OP.
sonnydelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 09:17 AM   #6
MR_X

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnydelight View Post
Pretty much what @suaveflooder said.

The best money you can spend on yourself in this situation is seat time.

You won't need any beefy cooling running a stock car at an autocross. Most runs are 40-60 seconds. IMHO, track days are where you will learn the most. Pay a little more, sign up for an HPDE, get seat time with an instructor, and let the addiction begin. THEN you may need some beefier cooling haha. Good luck, OP.
This is what I was affraid of.

Going to do cooling mods anyways because where I live. It just a +.

I want to do HPDE and I do have a few friends that are I instructors, so I'm good there. Just figure I would start with auto-x just to get my feet wet.

Thanks fellas.
Old 08-13-2013, 09:47 AM   #7
mtimney

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I recently bought a BRZ and started doing auto-x. It's a great car for auto-x IMO...and all the better drivers tell me it will teach me a lot about driving and allow me to be competitive when I get to be a better driver.

I've done some minor mods, exhaust/header/tune, and recently came in 7th with PAX at an event with 65 cars. Everything in front of me was either WAY more expensive or set up for racing. I can't imagine having picked a better car for what I want.
mtimney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 10:03 AM   #8
BlaineWasHere
Grip>Drift

Drives: FRS
Thanked 1,749 Times in 918 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Get an alignment and add a set of tires like Dunlop ZIIs or Hankook RS3s or BFG Rivals then have fun!
Old 08-13-2013, 10:07 AM   #9
sonnydelight

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S - Whiteout
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR_X View Post
This is what I was affraid of.

Going to do cooling mods anyways because where I live. It just a +.

I want to do HPDE and I do have a few friends that are I instructors, so I'm good there. Just figure I would start with auto-x just to get my feet wet.

Thanks fellas.
Sounds like you already have a good, knowledgeable support group, which is great.

Whatever route you go, I highly recommend you do your first event stock! The FR-S is a fast car... in hands of a fast driver.
sonnydelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 11:45 AM   #10
SubiePig

Drives: -'02 PSM WRX, '94 Miata, '13 BRZ
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Seat time and more seat time! Biggest thing you can do after that is getting yourself a set of good tires and an alignment. HPDE can teach you alot but at a much higher cost. There's a saying I have always liked; Good autocrossers make good roadracers, good roadracers don't make good autocrossers. Not always the case but its usually true. :P

Sponsered by:Chasebays/Corr Performance Tuning/KartBoy/Bad Panda Motorsports/Racer-X Fabrication
STX Build thread 14th/67 SCCA Nationals (2014)
SubiePig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 11:54 AM   #11
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,187 Times in 6,839 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubiePig View Post
Seat time and more seat time! Biggest thing you can do after that is getting yourself a set of good tires and an alignment. HPDE can teach you alot but at a much higher cost. There's a saying I have always liked; Good autocrossers make good roadracers, good roadracers don't make good autocrossers. Not always the case but its usually true. :P
I still don't understand why all the Autocrossers say that... because while AutoX is cheaper per event, you're also getting significantly less seat time (even considering only cornering time).

Additionally, each discipline teaches a small subset of skills; you should do everything to be a well rounded driver.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
EN2_Squirrel (08-13-2013), forwallblakmail (08-13-2013)
Old 08-13-2013, 12:28 PM   #12
BlaineWasHere
Grip>Drift

Drives: FRS
Thanked 1,749 Times in 918 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
I still don't understand why all the Autocrossers say that... because while AutoX is cheaper per event, you're also getting significantly less seat time (even considering only cornering time).

Additionally, each discipline teaches a small subset of skills; you should do everything to be a well rounded driver.
It's not the entrance fees that make autoX cheaper, it's the ware and upkeep on the car that is WAY WAY cheaper. AutoX is WAY more expensive per driving time, but it's a WAY cheaper car to maintain. I've done 40+ AutoX events since getting my FR-S and I can't imagine the cost of 40 track days!!!!

Because of that it's why I recommend people start with autoX. It's a great launching pad without lots of ware on the car. It's also way easier to benchmark personal progress.
Old 08-13-2013, 12:45 PM   #13
arg0naut

Drives: 13 GBS BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post

I think starting out with AutoX would be less intimidating for newer enthusiasts. Track days have a lot of protocol to follow that experienced guys just take for granted. Also going off course on a track has higher repercussions than an AutoX typically and orange cones are also a lot less scary than other cars or concrete walls.

For my buddies that express interest in enthusiastic driving I encourage them to gokart first, then AutoX, and then a track day if they're up for it. If someone is looking to be a full-blown addicted track rat boy racer then I would agree that track days are a great learning tool from the get-go.

As to OP, starting with AutoX is a great way to start the addiction. Come on in, the water is fine.
arg0naut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 12:46 PM   #14
SubiePig

Drives: -'02 PSM WRX, '94 Miata, '13 BRZ
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Newer people jumping into the competitive driving world can get turned off pretty quick to the consumable cost in track days, most tracks charge $300 just to enter, going through NASA being I think about $175. I know the seat time is less and for awhile I was really steering away from autocrossing. Depending on the car you own consumables can get pricey, maybe not so much for the twins. Wear and tear is much higher and if you figure how much of all your consumables you "use up" per weekend it can get kinda depressing. That and I don't want to see a novice driver stuff his new $30k car in a wall as it sometimes happens.

Sponsered by:Chasebays/Corr Performance Tuning/KartBoy/Bad Panda Motorsports/Racer-X Fabrication
STX Build thread 14th/67 SCCA Nationals (2014)
SubiePig is offline   Reply With Quote