follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 08-05-2016, 06:05 PM   #1
mclovin85

Drives: scion fr-s
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
tein flex z

im planning on getting the flex z's... should i get something else other than these coils? or are these alright.. also my car is daily driven and this will be my first mod
mclovin85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 06:26 PM   #2
SmireyFase

Drives: FR-S White - Smexy.
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
My friend always told me that tein coils are very specific as they have a variety of different ones.
SmireyFase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 06:35 PM   #3
VIP BRZ

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ
2 ¢

My Flex Z's Make a lot of noise
VIP BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 07:06 PM   #4
ajcarson11

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited (Black)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I LOVE my tein flex z's. Can't imagine buying any other coilover for the street. They are the best combination of price, adjustability, brand quality, and ride (6k). I'm not sure why anyone would buy anything more expensive, as most coilovers are designed more for the track than the street.

If there's one mod I'd push for this car it'd be the flex Zs. Mine don't make a single bit of noise, and I wouldn't trade them for anything else.
ajcarson11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 07:13 PM   #5
Mim

Drives: MY11 Maxima 350st, MY15 BRZ
Mines a pure DD build and I've ordered a set for my own car. I'm also very careful with my mods and think long an hard on each one so no regrets on any I've made so far.

Here's the thread that convinced me and I hope it helps you http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81829
MY15 CWP A/T BRZ | Leather heated seats | STI CAI filter, A/T leather shifter, strut brace, V-brace, draw stiffener, battery tie down, Radiator cap, Oil cap, push start button | TRD door stabilizer | YoSpeed STI console garnish | Pioneer AVIC-F70DAB + Rev-camera, TS-WX710A sub | JL speakers, Amp | TOMS' Clear Brake Lights | Cusco 4.556 FD | Driveshaft Shop aluminum shaft | Tein FlexZ, EDFC AP+GPS | Crawford BPB
Mim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 02:07 AM   #6
mclovin85

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIP BRZ View Post
2 ¢

My Flex Z's Make a lot of noise
what kinda noise?

and thanks everyone on your input.. i will most likely be purchasing them
Old 08-07-2016, 02:43 AM   #7
VIP BRZ

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclovin85 View Post
what kinda noise?

and thanks everyone on your input.. i will most likely be purchasing them
I have some clunking over bumps and uneven pavement, But i also have them totally maxed out low and it could totally be operator/installer issue. (Me)

I have seen a few others comment about similar noises from these coils, but i lot of coils have this sort of clunk.

Overall, There good and have a lot of adjust-ability. Probably the best in this price rage, if there are even any other repeatable brands with coils this cheep.

Personally ill be switching mine out for something that go's just a tiny bit lower in the future.. Someone hit me up for a used clunky pair
VIP BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 09:21 AM   #8
ajcarson11

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited (Black)
Quote:
I have some clunking over bumps and uneven pavement, But i also have them totally maxed out low and it could totally be operator/installer issue. (Me)

I have seen a few others comment about similar noises from these coils, but i lot of coils have this sort of clunk.

Overall, There good and have a lot of adjust-ability. Probably the best in this price rage, if there are even any other repeatable brands with coils this cheep.

Personally ill be switching mine out for something that go's just a tiny bit lower in the future.. Someone hit me up for a used clunky pair
You will get some clunk from the stock sway bars if you are lower than around 1.7" from stock. The stock sway bar links bind if too low.
ajcarson11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 10:15 AM   #9
malubawla
poor man's evora

Drives: Turbod BRZ
I love them too. Best for the money imo
Old 08-07-2016, 01:41 PM   #10
swarb

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,271 Posts
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Quote:

It's probably installer issue that is causing the clunks. My guess is something is loose, like the sway bar end links mentioned before.

You could always remove a collar or two to go lower.
swarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 12:46 PM   #11
mclovin85

Quote:

ah i see... i will be probably just be dropping it about 1.5 inches.. i dont want my car slammed i just want it perfectly tucked in, also thinking about throwing the enkei raijin 18x9's on my car after i save up a little lol
Old 08-08-2016, 10:19 PM   #12
shattered_memory

Drives: Satin White BRZ Limited
I have had my flex Z's for almost a year now and they perform great. I have never had any clunking issues at all. They are built solid. I would suggest to make sure preload is set before installing it on your car. Also make sure everything is tightened down to spec and installed correctly. This will avoid unnecessary clunks and noises. Overall, I really love these coilovers. The only gripe I have is whenever I hit a big pothole or dip at high speeds, they do tend to bottom out. However, I understand that the suspension travel is shortened and makes it more likely to bottom out. Also, the bumps were pretty big. The shocks never blew, which amazes me because I bottomed out pretty hard. This shows that the coilovers are solidly built. The bottoming out only happened like once or twice the whole time I had them. It's no biggie to me. Handling is razor sharp when paired up with a nice set of sticky tires. I'm on a set of yokohama advan ad08R's.
shattered_memory is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to shattered_memory For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (08-09-2016)
Old 08-09-2016, 12:49 PM   #13
mclovin85

Quote:
Originally Posted by shattered_memory View Post
I have had my flex Z's for almost a year now and they perform great. I have never had any clunking issues at all. They are built solid. I would suggest to make sure preload is set before installing it on your car. Also make sure everything is tightened down to spec and installed correctly. This will avoid unnecessary clunks and noises. Overall, I really love these coilovers. The only gripe I have is whenever I hit a big pothole or dip at high speeds, they do tend to bottom out. However, I understand that the suspension travel is shortened and makes it more likely to bottom out. Also, the bumps were pretty big. The shocks never blew, which amazes me because I bottomed out pretty hard. This shows that the coilovers are solidly built. The bottoming out only happened like once or twice the whole time I had them. It's no biggie to me. Handling is razor sharp when paired up with a nice set of sticky tires. I'm on a set of yokohama advan ad08R's.
ooo alrighty! cant wait to put these on my car once they come in lol... i will also be going to auto.tuned in monrovia to have them installed on my car.. and i hear they do a good job
Old 08-12-2016, 06:12 PM   #14
Blue Gt

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I have Tein Street Flex coil-overs and they clunk all the time when turning right. The initial damper knob adjustments are iffy after full stiff. Not sure I would purchase this brand again. Thinking about an upgrade next year. DP
Blue Gt is offline   Reply With Quote