follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 03-06-2013, 07:58 PM   #99
zoomzoomers

Drives: 2013 Subaru SWP BRZ Limited 6AT
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Does anyone have any info on that backup camera from Japan? Is it available here via any source? That's the one thing I'd really like to have back on my car. I love having a rear view camera. I can park just fine without one, but having is such a huge benefit for me as I'm in cramped parking lots all the time and it sure helps you get out a lot faster than not having one.

Any info/help would be greatly appreciated.
Man Law#17:A man in the company of a hot, seductively dressed, woman MUST remain sober enough to fight!

MODS: AVO tubes + filter, Cusco (F) strut brace w/ MC brace, Perrin CBE, Subaru OEM trunk tray, Grimmspeed front license re-locator & hood struts and Beatsonic rear cam.
zoomzoomers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:41 PM   #100
Tony Mac

Drives: SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzoomers View Post
Does anyone have any info on that backup camera from Japan? Is it available here via any source? That's the one thing I'd really like to have back on my car. I love having a rear view camera. I can park just fine without one, but having is such a huge benefit for me as I'm in cramped parking lots all the time and it sure helps you get out a lot faster than not having one.

Any info/help would be greatly appreciated.
In the Electronics section of the forum there's lots of information on how to install one yourself. I did it last week and it took me about 4 hours.

I ordered a Rydeen Duo off eBay, and got the harness from http://www.ae64.com/.
Tony Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:34 PM   #101
zoomzoomers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Mac View Post
In the Electronics section of the forum there's lots of information on how to install one yourself. I did it last week and it took me about 4 hours.

I ordered a Rydeen Duo off eBay, and got the harness from http://www.ae64.com/.
Thanks but I'd like to go OEM.
Man Law#17:A man in the company of a hot, seductively dressed, woman MUST remain sober enough to fight!

MODS: AVO tubes + filter, Cusco (F) strut brace w/ MC brace, Perrin CBE, Subaru OEM trunk tray, Grimmspeed front license re-locator & hood struts and Beatsonic rear cam.
The Following User Says Thank You to zoomzoomers For This Useful Post:
Beyer Subaru (03-07-2013)
Old 03-07-2013, 09:49 AM   #102
Beyer Subaru

Drives: 2013 BRZ SWP 6AT Ltd
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankenstein View Post
Judging by the size of the crossover components, it's just a replacement midrange with it's own enclosure (instead of being open to the dash). A surface-mount tweeter (presumably will have a swivel). There may be a subwoofer involved, but it is not pictured.

Does Beyer or anybody else actually understand what will be released?
All I know is what is stated by Subaru. It appears to be some form of micro speaker technology from Sonic Design. It's not so much a typical subwoofer as much as it is a speaker w/ enclosure. I think that the tweeters replace the in dash pieces and the enclosures replace the door speakers.

From the press release -

I received an order for an integrated set of speakers dedicated enclosures Jua "SUBARU BRZ".

Received an order from the Corporation FHI a dedicated set of speakers sports car "SUBARU BRZ" of FR layout horizontally opposed engine. For more information, please refer to the press release. Options that can be mounted as a dealer, sold through dealers nationwide SUBARU under the name of "4 speaker set manufactured by Sonic Design" to certain models of "SUBARU BRZ" This set should be noted. Please check the official Web site SUBARU product information.

Press release (format PDF: 412KB)

The press release is in the OP.
Beyer Subaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:06 AM   #103
Shankenstein
Frosty Carrot

Drives: The Atomic Carrot
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Thanks for linking to their site.

The 3/4" textile dome tweeter is simply mounted in place of our mids and highs.

The woofer is a 3" full range in a self-contained ported enclosure.

As mentioned in other threads, stereo imaging is difficult when you bounce off the glass. Low end extension should be similar to these results: LINK
Flat response to 100 Hz, but definitely still requires a subwoofer if you want anything under 85 Hz (sub bass).
Shankenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Shankenstein For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2013, 10:18 AM   #104
Beyer Subaru

Quote:
Thanks but I'd like to go OEM.
Me to. But it seems as though you can get SVX's harnesses and still use an oem camera. This is something that I really wanna do. I just haven't decided which way to go?

Subaru/Toyota might even surprise us here in the US with a camera for 2014? I hope.
Old 03-07-2013, 01:12 PM   #105
zoomzoomers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyer Subaru View Post
Me to. But it seems as though you can get SVX's harnesses and still use an oem camera. This is something that I really wanna do. I just haven't decided which way to go?

Subaru/Toyota might even surprise us here in the US with a camera for 2014? I hope.
This is what I'm hoping. Since it's already an option in Japan, somebody will import it here? Hint hint...

Also, I know there are options out there available now, but I personally prefer the look of OEM and when it comes to electronics it's been my experience that OEM is the way to go and there's usually less headaches should anything go wrong.

Also, I remember reading on these forums some time ago that for 2014 US will require all cars to have back up cams as standard options? Something like DRL's? It would make sense especially since these things can't be too cost prohibitive when done at the manufacturer level and provides an added level of safety.

The Following User Says Thank You to zoomzoomers For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2013, 05:52 PM   #106
Beyer Subaru

Quote:
This is what I'm hoping. Since it's already an option in Japan, somebody will import it here? Hint hint...

Also, I know there are options out there available now, but I personally prefer the look of OEM and when it comes to electronics it's been my experience that OEM is the way to go and there's usually less headaches should anything go wrong.

Also, I remember reading on these forums some time ago that for 2014 US will require all cars to have back up cams as standard options? Something like DRL's? It would make sense especially since these things can't be too cost prohibitive when done at the manufacturer level and provides an added level of safety.
Yep, the OEM cameras (Forester, Impreza, Legacy/ Outback)by themselves are fairly cheap. It's the wiring harnesses that our cars are lacking that become the "pricey" part.
Old 03-07-2013, 06:47 PM   #107
zoomzoomers

Quote:
Yep, the OEM cameras (Forester, Impreza, Legacy/ Outback)by themselves are fairly cheap. It's the wiring harnesses that our cars are lacking that become the "pricey" part.
So maybe it will be available as an option here? Since it seems the other Subaru's have it available.

Old 03-07-2013, 07:08 PM   #108
Beyer Subaru

Quote:
So maybe it will be available as an option here? Since it seems the other Subaru's have it available.
That's what I'm hoping for. I don't know if they'll sell a retro-fit for the 2013MY cars or if it will even be in the 2014MY cars. It's not very likely but I'm hoping they will make something available.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:41 PM   #109
zoomzoomers

Quote:
That's what I'm hoping for. I don't know if they'll sell a retro-fit for the 2013MY cars or if it will even be in the 2014MY cars. It's not very likely but I'm hoping they will make something available.
Let's hope so. That's the really the only thing I want on my car. Other than steering wheel controls, but that's another story all together. Plus I don't want to start a huge debate over it either. From what I recall, those controls will make you a poser-enthuisast and slow the car down so much it'll be slower than a Camry.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zoomzoomers For This Useful Post:
Basti (03-08-2013), Beyer Subaru (03-07-2013), chanomatik (03-07-2013)
Old 03-07-2013, 07:44 PM   #110
chanomatik
Snow Don't Hurt!

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited 6MT CBS
Thanked 1,497 Times in 902 Posts
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
I'm in for the steering wheel controls, too, @zoomzoomers. No worries! I got yo back!
chanomatik is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chanomatik For This Useful Post:
Beyer Subaru (03-07-2013), zoomzoomers (03-07-2013)
Old 03-07-2013, 07:49 PM   #111
Beyer Subaru

Quote:
Let's hope so. That's the really the only thing I want on my car. Other than steering wheel controls, but that's another story all together. Plus I don't want to start a huge debate over it either. From what I recall, those controls will make you a poser-enthuisast and slow the car down so much it'll be slower than a Camry.
Would love, love steering wheel controls! That pre-production pic always gets me enraged.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:06 PM   #112
zoomzoomers

Since I've had steering wheel controls on my last few cars I've become accustomed to them. Can't tell you how many times I unknowingly press the wheel where a button should be. If our stereo head units had decent dials or buttons it wouldn't be so bad, but those buttons on the screen are so small and you have to press on then dead center or no joy! Can't tell you how frustrating it gets sometimes.

Tags
brz forum, brz forums, subaru brz, subaru brz forum, subaru brz forums