follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 12-01-2018, 07:34 PM   #1
dpaqu

Drives: 2018 Gt86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Continental/Hoosier challenge slicks

I'm seeing these new and used for pretty cheap. How are they as a track day tire on a lightly modified car? How impractical would they be on an autocross?
dpaqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 08:29 PM   #2
Mr.ac
[insert cool phrase here]

Drives: BRZ Premium
Thanked 1,558 Times in 930 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Don't buy used slicks. Unless you want just one use of them on the track.

Oh... if you have to ask about how they perform, you are not ready for slicks. Maybe not even ready for any Motorsport.

Sorry silly questions gets you silly answers. It's like saying how much faster will a twin turbo V8 vs a stock NA 4 banger would be.
Mr.ac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.ac For This Useful Post:
wparsons (12-07-2018)
Old 12-01-2018, 09:11 PM   #3
dpaqu

To late. I've done 4 track days. (stock tires) Just checking my options. Seems a waste to buy a dot tire that will never see the street.
Old 12-01-2018, 09:24 PM   #4
Kouki86

Drives: 2017 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.ac View Post

Oh... if you have to ask about how they perform, you are not ready for slicks. Maybe not even ready for any Motorsport.

Sorry silly questions gets you silly answers. It's like saying how much faster will a twin turbo V8 vs a stock NA 4 banger would be.
This is the stupidest thing I've heard. He doesnt know how slicks perform cause he hasn't used them, therefore he isnt ready for any motorsport? Get off your high horse
Kouki86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Kouki86 For This Useful Post:
Hyper4mance2k (12-07-2018), jjaisli (12-16-2018), Joesurf79 (12-03-2018), Jonsey (12-27-2018), SuperTom (12-03-2018), Trueweltall (12-10-2018)
Old 12-01-2018, 09:35 PM   #5
86MLR

Drives: 2002 VX Commodore SS LS1 Auto
Thanked 2,185 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Buying used is a excellent option for the budget racer.

Finding the right size for your rims can be a issue.

Find what your local cup cars are using and choose track rims based of that.

There are alway lots of slicks being changed out on days, all with varing conditions.
Attached Images

86MLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 01:20 AM   #6
Mr.ac
[insert cool phrase here]

Drives: BRZ Premium
Thanked 1,558 Times in 930 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kouki86 View Post
This is the stupidest thing I've heard. He doesnt know how slicks perform cause he hasn't used them, therefore he isnt ready for any motorsport? Get off your high horse
Ha!
Clearly the dude is trolling or something. But come on anyone that done any kind of track day or autoX doesn't even have to second guess how better slicks are than dot simi-slicks.

There is no high horse even remotely near by. Just common logic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86MLR View Post
Buying used is a excellent option for the budget racer.

Finding the right size for your rims can be a issue.

Find what your local cup cars are using and choose track rims based of that.

There are alway lots of slicks being changed out on days, all with varing conditions.
True but you really ever know what condition of used you are going to get. That might be ok if they are normal street tires.
But slicks, nah the amount of money you think you'll save vs the time left is not worth it. Just buy new and enjoy the track day without worrying when the slicks are going to ware out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpaqu View Post
To late. I've done 4 track days. (stock tires) Just checking my options. Seems a waste to buy a dot tire that will never see the street.
Then why even ask if you already know the answer?

Last edited by Mr.ac; 12-02-2018 at 01:41 AM.
Mr.ac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 02:27 AM   #7
86MLR

Drives: 2002 VX Commodore SS LS1 Auto
Thanked 2,185 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Ha!
Clearly the dude is trolling or something. But come on anyone that done any kind of track day or autoX doesn't even have to second guess how better slicks are than dot simi-slicks.

There is no high horse even remotely near by. Just common logic.

True but you really ever know what condition of used you are going to get. That might be ok if they are normal street tires.
But slicks, nah the amount of money you think you'll save vs the time left is not worth it. Just buy new and enjoy the track day without worrying when the slicks are going to ware out.

Then why even ask if you already know the answer?
I've purchased used slicks from the tyre guys at track days/events a few times.

You get to pick what you want, it's not like you or they pick cooked tyres.

Alot of people have more money than sense, or, for the pointy end guys, swap out tyres that are at about 75-50%.

Me, I always keep a eye for who swaps what though, the rich idiots who have all the gear but no idea are the ones to watch, they sometimes just swap out perfectly good rubber "because rich consumers", these guys are hotly watched at the tyre guys truck, by myself or any other "seagull" ready to dive onto a bargain.

I've had good cheap success

And the difference between road tyres and full slicks, even 2nd hand slicks, is huge.

Some clubs here will not let cars run full slicks at trackdays without at least a certified cage.

I've ever used "Grip" a few times to soften up some old tyres I've been able to pickup cheap, as long as they last a session or 1 day.

https://griptyresoftener.com

My best score was a set of near new softs that I scored for $400, it was raining and some rich dude swapped them out for wets.

Killing $400 worth of rubber a day is better than 2k$ worth of rubber for the average punter.

Last edited by 86MLR; 12-02-2018 at 02:30 AM. Reason: Link
86MLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 07:50 AM   #8
Kouki86

Drives: 2017 86
Quote:
Ha!
He wanted to know if they would be worth using for autocross. I dont see how he is trolling, it was a simple question with a yes or no answer. This forum is here for people to ask questions, not for ****heads like you telling him that he isnt ready to track his car because he doesnt have any experience with slicks.
Kouki86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kouki86 For This Useful Post:
batlwagn (12-23-2018), Jonsey (12-27-2018)
Old 12-02-2018, 09:58 AM   #9
dpaqu

Yikes! I've found great info on this forum but this one went sideways quick. There is always that one guy...

FWIW these are going for $150 new in17" 86 friendly size. I wanted to know how good they would be for 20-30min sessions on track and if they are useless on autocross for being hard when cold. Basically:

How quick they come up to temp?
Do they wear out or cycle out?
What kind of lifespan?
Do they work on camber challenged cars like ours?

Whatever else I don't know enough to even ask about. Maybe slicks will cause oil starvation? I'm new to this but not stupid.
Old 12-02-2018, 12:51 PM   #10
mkodama
86Drive Challenge

Drives: 2017 BRZ PP
Quote:
I'm seeing these new and used for pretty cheap. How are they as a track day tire on a lightly modified car? How impractical would they be on an autocross?
I have some friends that do this occasionally on their BMW E30 and E36. You end up with absurd grip, and it’s kind of silly. Compared to street tires it makes everything else on the car feel inadequate, like, the suspension feels too soft, the engine no longer has the torque break traction, etc... kinda fun experience. Just plan on the tires not lasting much more than a trackday and you’ll have fun.

Quote:

You could have answered that much nicer.
mkodama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mkodama For This Useful Post:
Turbo (12-04-2018)
Old 12-02-2018, 02:28 PM   #11
rice_classic

Drives: Nevermorange FRS
Thanked 4,200 Times in 1,803 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Don't listen to Mr.AC - he's WAY out of bounds on this one - and he's being a ****. Don't listen to ****s.

I raced competitively on used R-comps from 2004-2011 and in 2011 I ran half the season used tires before buying a new set and won the championship that year. I won 4 championship after that racing on tires well past their "fast" points and would get more out of a tire that most people said you could. I often changed them once the cords were showing.

You CAN know the performance of used R-Comp by 2 things. 1) The age and 2) the number of heat cycles. Most racers (who buy new tires) record the number of heat cycles and the reason they do this because most R-Comps have a performance maximum in the first number of cycles; on some it's 3 cycles on others it might be 12+. But even after the performance drop off occurs they are STILL R-COMPS even if they are .5-1.0 second off their fastest pace. As long as there's tread they'll function - but how the function over the duration of their usable life is actually easy info to find by searching proper racing forums (this is not a racing forum).

There's a BMW E30 class here that uses Toyo RRs (in my size) and the fast guys would do 4-6 cycles on them then replace them (even though they would be fast for 12+) so I would get VERY cheap tires. The really fast Spec Miata guys might do 3-5 so I could get Hooseir SM6s for cheap some times as well and they would still be within .3-.5 seconds of their fastest until the darn cords showed.

As for your other questions: If these are for sale - they are "cycled out" meaning they are not at their fastest - but they're still fast. They will probably like camber somewhere from 2.5-4 degrees depending on setup (buy a tire pyrometer) and as much caster as you can throw at them. If you're highly camber challenged then run them with more tire pressure to reduce sidewall flex.

I would expect they would like to be somewhere around 34-40psi hot - but once again - record your data and you'll figure it out. They will not be as forgiving as a street tire. If you graph the slip angle, it falls off fast once you exceed maximum adhesion.

Have fun out there!
Alan (01-06-2019), CSG Mike (12-03-2018), dpaqu (12-03-2018), Hyper4mance2k (12-07-2018), JoeC (12-04-2018), Joesurf79 (12-03-2018), strat61caster (12-02-2018), treedodger (12-03-2018), TrqlessWonder (12-05-2018), wparsons (12-07-2018), WRBrzRX (12-03-2018)
Old 12-03-2018, 12:12 PM   #12
lutfy

Drives: 2022 LR Defender, 2015 FRS_ST5/TT5
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rice_classic View Post
Don't listen to Mr.AC - he's WAY out of bounds on this one - and he's being a ****. Don't listen to ****s.

I raced competitively on used R-comps from 2004-2011 and in 2011 I ran half the season used tires before buying a new set and won the championship that year. I won 4 championship after that racing on tires well past their "fast" points and would get more out of a tire that most people said you could. I often changed them once the cords were showing.

You CAN know the performance of used R-Comp by 2 things. 1) The age and 2) the number of heat cycles. Most racers (who buy new tires) record the number of heat cycles and the reason they do this because most R-Comps have a performance maximum in the first number of cycles; on some it's 3 cycles on others it might be 12+. But even after the performance drop off occurs they are STILL R-COMPS even if they are .5-1.0 second off their fastest pace. As long as there's tread they'll function - but how the function over the duration of their usable life is actually easy info to find by searching proper racing forums (this is not a racing forum).

There's a BMW E30 class here that uses Toyo RRs (in my size) and the fast guys would do 4-6 cycles on them then replace them (even though they would be fast for 12+) so I would get VERY cheap tires. The really fast Spec Miata guys might do 3-5 so I could get Hooseir SM6s for cheap some times as well and they would still be within .3-.5 seconds of their fastest until the darn cords showed.

As for your other questions: If these are for sale - they are "cycled out" meaning they are not at their fastest - but they're still fast. They will probably like camber somewhere from 2.5-4 degrees depending on setup (buy a tire pyrometer) and as much caster as you can throw at them. If you're highly camber challenged then run them with more tire pressure to reduce sidewall flex.

I would expect they would like to be somewhere around 34-40psi hot - but once again - record your data and you'll figure it out. They will not be as forgiving as a street tire. If you graph the slip angle, it falls off fast once you exceed maximum adhesion.

Have fun out there!
Excellent post!

I use R7s for time trials and use oder Hoosier set for practice and throw on a fresh set for the 'bang' out lap. THis was cost effective as I would win new tires (Hoosier contingency with NASA) if there were 7 participants. I'd use the 'fast tires' for 10HC before retiring them to practice (next year's strategy as TT5 is very competitive).

The older set can get up to 30 HC and they were still a touch faster than my sticker Toyo RR (which as correctly observed, are fast for 5 laps then consistent to the cord dropping half sec or so per lap).

Best bet is to get 225/45/17 Contis from Bimmerworld. You'll get a good idea on what its all about. The R7s are marginally faster than the Contis I ran but FWIW, perfect for track days.

Lutfy
lutfy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to lutfy For This Useful Post:
200hp/tonne (01-23-2019), dpaqu (12-03-2018), Joesurf79 (12-03-2018), Jonsey (12-27-2018), treedodger (12-03-2018)
Old 12-03-2018, 10:03 PM   #13
dpaqu

I'll get a set just to see what the deal is.
The Following User Says Thank You to dpaqu For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (12-04-2018)
Old 12-04-2018, 04:41 PM   #14
lutfy

Drives: 2022 LR Defender, 2015 FRS_ST5/TT5
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
I'll get a set just to see what the deal is.
Call up JB Racing Tires: Two Six Two Nine Zero Three Four Two Three Five.

No affiliation. He sells A7 (Autox compound) as well. Those tires come up to temps faster even on the road course. If getting 225 sized tires, suggest 225/40 vs the 45 series tire as you'll get some oomph from the gearing as well.

Cheers,

Lutfy
lutfy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lutfy For This Useful Post:
BlueWhelan (12-22-2018)