follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 11-01-2018, 12:11 AM   #183
Tristor

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandSport View Post
No other thoughts on price/value of the track car?

If you believe the modifications that are already done to the car are to your liking and standards, then $17k ready to go is not a bad deal. It's mostly a question of whether the setup will work for you, since a track vehicle setup is somewhat of a personal preference.
Tristor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 02:58 AM   #184
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,175 Times in 6,834 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
I think he said it was 2550lbs. No AC but still has power windows.
As far as coilovers, they're not the best, but honestly, shocks don't make THAT big of a difference.
When my magnetic ride controller overheated and failed mid day, and I was riding on all 4 at their softest setting, I was < 1 second slower. That's going from an electronic, dynamic/on the fly suspension controller that adjusted every tenth of a second or something like that based on loads and acceleration, etc to having full soft. I definitely made some adjustments (and then more adjustments when I got a new one) but once I made them, I was fine.
If this was supposed to a super competitive race car, sure, there are many reasons to spend big bucks. But for HPDE, I'm not concerned.
They make a HUGE difference, when your lap time is mainly made up by cornering faster, rather than optimizing your corners for powering out the exits.

Heck, even on your Vette, I'd put good money that while you only lost 1 second to a failed controller, you'd gain many seconds with a nice set of Penskes, JRZs, Ohlins, or similar.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
Joesurf79 (11-01-2018)
Old 11-01-2018, 09:30 AM   #185
GrantedTaken
Banned

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Are you looking for a pure track car?
Or a trackable street car?
That is your answer.
GrantedTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 09:58 AM   #186
GrandSport

Drives: 13 Viper; 14 BRZ; 90 Miata; 18 AMG
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
They make a HUGE difference, when your lap time is mainly made up by cornering faster, rather than optimizing your corners for powering out the exits.

Heck, even on your Vette, I'd put good money that while you only lost 1 second to a failed controller, you'd gain many seconds with a nice set of Penskes, JRZs, Ohlins, or similar.
Man, I don't know. The difference from street tires to slicks is like 2.5 seconds. Super Sports to Cup2 was a bit under 2 seconds for me. You ask any racer would they rather run slicks and crappy shocks or the best shocks and street tires, and the answer will be very unanimous.
2018 GLE 63 AMG: +800hp whistling AWD TT V8 grocery getter
2016 GX460: IDK. Too reliable to sell. Too boring to use.
GrandSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 10:31 AM   #187
tony_r

Drives: '15 STX
A proper set of shocks make a huge difference, particularly at tracks with aggressive curbing and/or fun bumps. That said, you do not need to go as expensive as Penske to get that.
tony_r is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tony_r For This Useful Post:
Joesurf79 (11-01-2018)
Old 11-01-2018, 10:37 AM   #188
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Man, I don't know. The difference from street tires to slicks is like 2.5 seconds. Super Sports to Cup2 was a bit under 2 seconds for me. You ask any racer would they rather run slicks and crappy shocks or the best shocks and street tires, and the answer will be very unanimous.
You're right. I quit eating healthy, because while healthy food isn't that beneficial, any person knows that drinking water is more important
Old 11-01-2018, 10:49 AM   #189
GrandSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatoni View Post
You're right. I quit eating healthy, because while healthy food isn't that beneficial, any person knows that drinking water is more important
huh? I said I don't think shocks are as important as slicks, and slicks are only about 2 seconds above street tires. Therefore, good shocks to mediocre shocks won't be "many seconds" faster- not that you shouldn't upgrade suspension at all. You'd really be surprised how little difference shocks make on lap times. They matter, but not nearly as much as stuff like weight, power, and most important- tires.
Old 11-01-2018, 11:09 AM   #190
Lynxis

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ 6MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Something to consider is cost to repair if you end up colliding with something which is not a matter of if, but when. I've had a few destructive off-track excursions now and I personally had a very hard time finding used parts in decent condition for these cars that were close enough to bother with and pray you never need a quarter panel repair.

Edit: The point I nearly forgot to make is to just consider what it might cost you to fix damage caused on track. I spun once and ended up ass end first into a concrete barrier that ended up costing me about $6000 to fix and that was with me doing all of the work I could do by myself which was basically anything but cutting and welding.

Last edited by Lynxis; 11-01-2018 at 11:23 AM.
Lynxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 11:11 AM   #191
tony_r

Drives: '15 STX
You cant quantify the difference shocks make like that, since what they add is control and consistency. It's the difference between an upset and unruly car, and a stable, predictable car you have confidence in.

I will always be faster lap over lap with a proper set of shocks.
tony_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 11:26 AM   #192
GrandSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony_r View Post
You cant quantify the difference shocks make like that, since what they add is control and consistency. It's the difference between an upset and unruly car, and a stable, predictable car you have confidence in.

I will always be faster lap over lap with a proper set of shocks.
Agreed. The laps with the shocks out (or their controller anyway) were definitely more white knuckle, but I was one of 3 cars on track that day. Overall difference was only about a second (which is an eternity in a race) but yeah, I wouldn't want to race wheel to wheel like that. I just don't see gaining 2 or 3 seconds on shocks alone. Like I said, it was <1 second difference from an awesome (for OEM) electronically controlled setup to those shocks at full soft running (effectively) solo laps. I can't see one aftermarket coilover system to another being some sort of massive jump.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynxis View Post
Something to consider is cost to repair if you end up colliding with something which is not a matter of if, but when. I've had a few destructive off-track excursions now and I personally had a very hard time finding used parts in decent condition for these cars that were close enough to bother with and pray you never need a quarter panel repair.

Edit: The point I nearly forgot to make is to just consider what it might cost you to fix damage caused on track. I spun once and ended up ass end first into a concrete barrier that ended up costing me about $6000 to fix and that was with me doing all of the work I could do by myself which was basically anything but cutting and welding.

One of the many reasons for FRS/BRZ over the Grand Sport. My splitter alone is $2k.

Last edited by GrandSport; 11-01-2018 at 11:47 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to GrandSport For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (11-01-2018)
Old 11-01-2018, 11:45 AM   #193
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,241 Times in 2,962 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
Quote:
No other thoughts on price/value of the track car?
One of the first questions I have when looking at a track car listed for sale is: Who built the cage? Is it good?

- Andrew
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (11-01-2018)
Old 11-01-2018, 11:55 AM   #194
GrandSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecomp Engineering View Post
One of the first questions I have when looking at a track car listed for sale is: Who built the cage? Is it good?

- Andrew
I have pictures and it looks (lol) to be pretty good. It was professionally installed by a reputable shop. Nothing about this build makes me think corners were cut in the sense of half assing it. Obviously, you can always buy more expensive parts, but it's not like the guy was using dry wall screws to mount stuff.

Assuming done well and clean (and I'd verify in person), what do you think it's worth on the market? I'm a bit new to this FT world and this is anything but a generic stock car.

Thanks!
Old 11-01-2018, 11:57 AM   #195
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,241 Times in 2,962 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
Quote:
I have pictures and it looks (lol) to be pretty good. It was professionally installed by a reputable shop. Nothing about this build makes me think corners were cut in the sense of half assing it. Obviously, you can always buy more expensive parts, but it's not like the guy was using dry wall screws to mount stuff.

Assuming done well and clean (and I'd verify in person), what do you think it's worth on the market?

Thanks!
Can you PM a link? I promise I won't buy it lol.

- Andrew
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 12:05 PM   #196
cjd

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Thanked 2,928 Times in 1,714 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

If the shocks (spring rates/damping/etc) can't handle slicks, you're in for a rough time either way.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I'd take a well tuned suspension setup over stickier tires any day.