follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 04-26-2018, 10:25 AM   #29
8RZ
The Gunshine State

Drives: '14 BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,163 Times in 587 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Tom, your info would hold true decades ago but engine tech has advanced much since then.

It's not your grandpa's 4 banger anymore! Lol.

Current DD: M235i
8RZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 8RZ For This Useful Post:
Timmy_Jones (04-26-2018)
Old 04-26-2018, 05:49 PM   #30
Timmy_Jones
Spun

Drives: 17' Focus RS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTom View Post
your right, I'm wrong. That article was made in 2013 I can't figure out why everyone on forums hasn't put a 3" on their car since then. I would imagine ridiculous sound on a street. My own experience is driving plenty of cars on street and track not just dyno runs from a company trying to sell their parts
*You're

The car has been out since 2013, I don't understand the rebuttal?

The company sells BOTH parts; a 2.5 and a 3 inch exhaust.

Driving plenty of cars on the streets can be deceiving unless you have true dyno numbers. My car in the winter seems much faster than in the summer...I had the stock exhaust on in the winter, too. These Dyno runs were back to back.
Timmy_Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 09:27 PM   #31
CounterSpace Garage

Drives: Subaru BRZ / Toyota 86 Experts
Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy_Jones View Post
Agreed, I went with a 2.5" OD Front pipe and hi-flow cat and still have some rasp. I think the Invidia/HKS are like 2.3" and those do rasp, as well.

Would you care to send me over your big diameter front pipe? Happy to test for rasp!
It's a function of all the parts combined, not just one.

We have a proven setup already, but they generally need to go together. A full catless setup from header, front pipe, and catback will pass Laguna Seca 90dB days at full throttle even with a variety of supercharger setups: Harrop, Edelbrock, Innovate, HKS, Kratftwekrs, Vortech, and Jackson Racing. SC setups just increases the inherent sound quality issues or "problems". Turbos are quieter than SC and sometimes NA setups. Some clients have actually welded a bypass valve to the system so they can go to a straight dump tube for epic sounds on track with no sound restrictions.
CounterSpace Garage is offline   Reply With Quote