follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 02-20-2018, 10:55 PM   #57
BirdTRD
Simply Forgotus

Drives: 2014 Supercharged SSM BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler_win_photo View Post
I actually drive my car a lot harder than he does. It's more so that with a SC you're constantly in boost, while with a turbo you need to reach a certain load threshold for boost.
Interesting. I get about 25 mpg average with the Edelbrock, 30+ if I try real hard.
BirdTRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 06:38 AM   #58
Riftur

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xxyion View Post
I mean to be fair, @Eckstrey asked for advice on a turbo kit and you all decided to give him advice on a supercharger, then more advice on why he's making the wrong choice. And THEN berated him for flipping his lid when you guys were giving him the advice he was asking for. Which he wasnt.

So to be fair to the OP.

The power goals you seek are very easy to obtain. That can easily be obtained with both SC and Turbo. I had an Edelbrock kit at one point and made 240 whp on a mustang dyno on 91 pump gas.

Here are some of the kits i recommend.

JDL Turbo Kit - 3000$-5000$

Very customizable kit with a huge array of turbo options as well as the option to go UEL. They also offer coating on all the hot parts as well as a no cut crash bar option.

SBD Turbo kit - 3300$

Less customizable but a decently reliable kit as long as you can manage the heat and get all supporting mods. Huge following and userbase. One of my friends has been running his for about a year now making 350 whp on E85.

PTuning Kit - 5000$-7000$

A lot more expensive but a very well designed kit. Uses a bottom mounted turbo design because they had heat in mind. This kit is the one recommended by my mechanic (he's installed over 100 different FI kits). Has the option for both UEL and EL manifolds and also has a ton of turbo options.This is one of those kits that has a TON of headroom and potential even with the base kit. I believe Ptuning themselves are running the base turbo on e85 and making really close to 400 whp. (could be wrong).

These are my suggestions.

If you do decide maybe SC i'll throw these in as well.

Edelbrock Kit - 5000$

Fantastically reliable kit. Decent power just on pump gas and is also CARB legal. Also if you buy new and have it installed by an Edelbrock licensed mechanic, Edelbrock will cover your powertrain warranty. Which means if you blow your motors within the first 3 years or 36000 miles of you owning the car, They will cover it. Cant beat that.

Jackson Racing - unsure on price

Another CARB compliant kit. A lot of track guys run this kit for its stock feel and power band. Not a kit that gives you a kit in the ass down low but will shoot like a rocket anywhere above 5k RPMS. Has been known to have heat issues (a few cracked headers in our group) but its nothing some good heat management cant handle.

Hope this helps.

Dont mind everyone else, they actually do have your best interests in mind even if they dont know how to say it =D.
This seems to happen a lot on this site.
Riftur is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Riftur For This Useful Post:
olsonpg (02-21-2018)
Old 02-21-2018, 09:56 AM   #59
Soloside
-Phil's BIGGEST FAN BOI

Drives: 2014 Greddy Turbo BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdTRD View Post
Interesting. I get about 25 mpg average with the Edelbrock, 30+ if I try real hard.

damn I wish I get mileage like you. I'm barely scraping by at 21 mpg and I'm rarely in boost.
Old 02-21-2018, 10:00 AM   #60
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riftur View Post
This seems to happen a lot on this site.
Easy to avoid.
Ask questions that show at least a minimal attempt at finding the answer before asking. "What is the best turbo for 300HP that won't hurt my car" is not a great question and is just sort of lazy.

Be accurate as possible with any description of a problem or question. For example if something happened once don't make it sound like a daily event. The answers you get are going to be based on the initial statement and if it is poorly done then so will they. As the old saying says. Garbage in = garbage out.

Above all remember that this is a community and as such there are many different opinions on a subject. Just because somebody gives an opinion that is not what you want to hear does not mean they are being rude, insulting or otherwise demeaning. Saying "I want your thoughts" and then getting all pissy because people gave them is what sets off many arguments. In this particular case people gave their opinions but since they were not exactly what the OP wanted he went on a total personal attack against almost everybody that had replied. If you just want support for what you have already decided then don't ask for opinions. If you ask a question and get several different answers just pick the one you like best and go with it. There is no need to run down the people that gave the answers you didn't go with. Once again how people respond to posts they don't like can determine how things progress. Finally since this is all in print people can not tell tone or body language so tend to read things in their own state of mind. This means they take perfectly innocent statements or themes and turn them angry. Many of use write to the point and that can be blunt but that does not mean for one second we are in anyway angry, trying to be insulting or any other way attempting to be superior it is just simply how we write. I get accused of all these way more often than is reasonable but am not willing to throw in LOLs and smiley faces to try to express my actual state of mind. Hell, I bet half the people out there just read all of this in an angry tone and are getting madder and madder because of it.
BirdTRD (02-21-2018), spike021 (02-21-2018)
Old 02-21-2018, 12:12 PM   #61
mrg666
pessimistic skeptic

Drives: '14 FR-S Monogram AT JRSC
Thanked 1,035 Times in 684 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
I actually drive my car a lot harder than he does. It's more so that with a SC you're constantly in boost, while with a turbo you need to reach a certain load threshold for boost.
Wrong. There is a vacuum controlled bypass valve to avoid constant boost. Plus, compressor pressure is lower with low RPM anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdTRD View Post
I also easily get 29 mpg with both normal commute and highway driving.

Last edited by mrg666; 02-21-2018 at 12:31 PM. Reason: added a related reply
mrg666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 12:15 PM   #62
mrg666
pessimistic skeptic

Drives: '14 FR-S Monogram AT JRSC
Thanked 1,035 Times in 684 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eckstrey View Post
I've had my 2017 860 for 7 months and 5000 miles. I love it but it time to start looking into FI. (my best friend drives a SC C7 Vette with Methane injection. 700WHP. The peer pressure to mod is real) I want to hit the 10HP per pound range so 280 WHP is my goal. This is a daily driver and reliability and longevity or a major concern for me. Car will be 99% street driven. Maybe occasional autocross. I am not interested in SC. Turbo is the way to go for me. I have a good friend who is a Toyota master tech and he will be available for assist with install. Looking for full kit with tune for around $7k but is its more, so be it. I want it to be as bullet proof as possible. Suggestions and input wanted. Go.
Among the Turbo kits I considered before deciding on JRSC, I was most impressed with the AVO kit since that is the only kit with turbo below the engine to avoid additional exhaust piping and heat.
mrg666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 02:27 PM   #63
ThatAsianBradah

Drives: Toyota 86 2017 TRD Modded
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
A benefit of turbo vs sc is that you'll get better mpg with the turbo. I average around 20mpg, while my friend with a sc averages around 16mpg.
I run a Delicious Tuned Edelbrock SC - stock pulley, stock internals, and stock exhaust system except for aftermarket cat back exhaust.

I'm hitting 260whp and 206wtq on 92 octane @ 20.4mpg atm. Idk what it'll be with full exhaust and a higher boost pulley, but I'll gladly trade 2mpg for ~310whp and ~240wtq if I can stick to the safe side of configurations.

Although id be sketch about running a higher boost pulley without a quality tune and stock injectors although some people have had success on 92/93 octane - 12psi pulleys with the stock injectors.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 02-21-2018, 05:36 PM   #64
Grady

Drives: BRZ Yellow, 2019 Ranger, 2011 Evora
Thanked 1,473 Times in 770 Posts
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
A benefit of turbo vs sc is that you'll get better mpg with the turbo. I average around 20mpg, while my friend with a sc averages around 16mpg.
I win! Last tank I did 16 mpg on AVO turbo and E85!
Grady is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Grady For This Useful Post:
bumppinKota (02-22-2018)
Old 02-21-2018, 05:58 PM   #65
WORKS

Drives: WORKS CARB Legal Turbo BRZ
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eckstrey View Post
I've had my 2017 860 for 7 months and 5000 miles. I love it but it time to start looking into FI. (my best friend drives a SC C7 Vette with Methane injection. 700WHP. The peer pressure to mod is real) I want to hit the 10HP per pound range so 280 WHP is my goal. This is a daily driver and reliability and longevity or a major concern for me. Car will be 99% street driven. Maybe occasional autocross. I am not interested in SC. Turbo is the way to go for me. I have a good friend who is a Toyota master tech and he will be available for assist with install. Looking for full kit with tune for around $7k but is its more, so be it. I want it to be as bullet proof as possible. Suggestions and input wanted. Go.
We sell our Stage 2 Tuner kit outside of California. It has many different turbo options that will get you to your desired power figures within your budget. Give us a call if you have any questions.
WORKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 06:03 PM   #66
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,166 Times in 6,828 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
I'm seeing 32mpg on the highway with the 2017 with Edelbrock I've been driving.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 09:58 PM   #67
Lantanafrs2

Drives: 2013 frs red
Thanked 3,088 Times in 1,654 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I am running header and e85 so I'm close to the limit in na land. I'm not sure I would ever go fi just from a good money into bad money perspective but if I did I would have to accept the risk of mechanical failure and the risk of dumping more money into it once I got used to the new power level and the inevitable desire for more. Damn, a 2.3 litre over square motor would be nice lol.

Last edited by Lantanafrs2; 02-21-2018 at 10:56 PM.
Lantanafrs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 10:27 AM   #68
sid94

Drives: 2013 frs
Personally I have a FullBlown stage one kit and it felt good until my rod bent but I’d say get the sbd kit, their Facebook page is really helpful if you have a problem and they stand by their product. Now I’m not saying full blown doesn’t it’s a great kit but the sbd is cheaper and Wilkins hit the goals you want.

I originally had just intake, then e85 with full exhaust and car woke up. Try that before you go boost. Or don’t doesn’t really matter but just my opinion
sid94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 10:37 AM   #69
hichamaziz

Drives: subaru brz
Have you looked at the individual turbo owner's you baught the wrong car .
hichamaziz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
860, turbo