follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > CANADA

CANADA Canada

User Tag List

Old 12-02-2015, 08:46 PM   #57
DR 86

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by krayzie View Post
I think DR 86 probably meant "spirited" driving, as "aggressive" driving will definitely get you in trouble with the cops.
Thank you. That was the word I was looking for, it just eluded me at that moment. Obviously I'm not going to be cornering on the street at the same speeds as I would on the track, since the best street tires can't compare to R comps. But there's nothing to prevent me from accelerating a little harder off the line, braking later/trail braking/carrying more speed into corners and taking on ramps at the limit of grip. Some people just have to act like they have a stick up their ass all the time.
Perrin CAI|Perrin MCB|P&L header|Motiv OP/FP|MXP catback|Tein Type Flex coilovers|Eibach F/R sway bars|GS front strut brace|Street:PM HC+800/Track:Carbotech XP10|StopTech slotted rotors/SS lines|SBC RPF1s|Street:FK453/Winter:Pirelli SottoZero3/Track:Toyo R888s|Leg Sport rear spoiler|EcuTek Tuned|OEM oil cooler|4th/F1 brake lights
DR 86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 09:06 PM   #58
DR 86

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by klassick View Post
For those winter driving with coilovers do you guys raise the car for the winter?
Nope. Changing ride height affects alignment. Can't be bothered to redo alignment twice a year. I'm lowered about 1.75inches, never had an issue in 3 winters in the GTA. That being said, common sense applies. If it's going to be 30cm of snow, I just take the SUV.
Perrin CAI|Perrin MCB|P&L header|Motiv OP/FP|MXP catback|Tein Type Flex coilovers|Eibach F/R sway bars|GS front strut brace|Street:PM HC+800/Track:Carbotech XP10|StopTech slotted rotors/SS lines|SBC RPF1s|Street:FK453/Winter:Pirelli SottoZero3/Track:Toyo R888s|Leg Sport rear spoiler|EcuTek Tuned|OEM oil cooler|4th/F1 brake lights
DR 86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DR 86 For This Useful Post:
nbafandan (12-03-2015)
Old 12-03-2015, 05:26 AM   #59
krayzie
Drive From Home

Drives: BRZ STI Performance
Thanked 3,111 Times in 2,007 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Yea when I got new Bilstein shocks (new springs with different rates being the same height as the old set) and allowed them to settle after two months (a change of probably a few millimetres) I had to get another alignment. I could imagine with adjustable suspension the setup would need to change a lot after raising it.

My current ride height is actually higher than old Golf GTI, but everything is mounted lower on the BRZ and I've already scraped the front bottom section a few times getting out of badly maintained parking lots in the dry, so drive carefully.
krayzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 08:32 AM   #60
Cole
Not a troll

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 5,399 Times in 2,694 Posts
Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR 86 View Post
Thank you. That was the word I was looking for, it just eluded me at that moment. Obviously I'm not going to be cornering on the street at the same speeds as I would on the track, since the best street tires can't compare to R comps. But there's nothing to prevent me from accelerating a little harder off the line, braking later/trail braking/carrying more speed into corners and taking on ramps at the limit of grip. Some people just have to act like they have a stick up their ass all the time.
Except that you could be fined for that. Leave that shit for the track, hero.

Sure there's nothing preventing you doing it, just like how murder is against the law, but people still do it. It's just an image thing, ya know? People see some douchey twin owners, and then everyone driving one becomes a douche. Tracking that?

And nah, there's no stick up my ass, just like to call people out who act like ****heads, or think the rules don't apply to them, because "I know the limits of my car, k?"
Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 01:24 PM   #61
G-awesome

Drives: 2015 Firestorm Scion FRS
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I still rock summers in winter because.......vancouver.
G-awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to G-awesome For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (12-04-2015)
Old 12-04-2015, 08:55 PM   #62
NLSP

Drives: 2014 Ultramarine FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-awesome View Post
I actually put on winter tires a couple weeks ago since we were reaching freezing temps. Now that December rolls around, it goes up to 10 degrees? lol...guess I should mount my summers back on now
NLSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 10:37 PM   #63
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR 86 View Post
Definition, “stunt”

3. For the purposes of section 172 of the Act, “stunt” includes any activity where one or more persons engage in any of the following driving behaviours:
1. Driving a motor vehicle in a manner that indicates an intention to lift some or all of its tires from the surface of the highway, including driving a motorcycle with only one wheel in contact with the ground, but not including the use of lift axles on commercial motor vehicles.
2. Driving a motor vehicle in a manner that indicates an intention to cause some or all of its tires to lose traction with the surface of the highway while turning.
3. Driving a motor vehicle in a manner that indicates an intention to spin it or cause it to circle, without maintaining control over it.
Cole (12-04-2015), HunterGreene (12-07-2015)
Old 12-04-2015, 11:04 PM   #64
Muaddib
Mentat

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS 6MT
I am still rocking with the PSS.
Muaddib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 05:20 PM   #65
G-awesome

Drives: 2015 Firestorm Scion FRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLSP View Post
I actually put on winter tires a couple weeks ago since we were reaching freezing temps. Now that December rolls around, it goes up to 10 degrees? lol...guess I should mount my summers back on now
I know right? Was debating getting winters during the cold streak we had...now it warms up and pissing rain for the next two weeks again!
G-awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 02:43 AM   #66
PureShield

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
My Michelin X-Ice Xi3s should be arriving soon. Ordered them when it was getting to the negatives in Vancouver kinda sucks that it's been warming up but on the other hand better driving weather.
PureShield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 01:20 PM   #67
driftking96

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S, 1998 Honda Accord
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLVRSRFR View Post
I ran Firestone Winterforce last year and I think they're great! Got them off another member on here.

I've had a variety of different snow tires over the years; Blizzaks are good, but pricey, and very soft so they don't last as long. I had Sailun IceBlazers which were surprisingly good for a "budget" winter tire. My Dad and girlfriend both have Michelin X-Ice, which they swear by.

I would have never considered Firestone, but there they were right when I needed them, for a good price, and I've had no regrets! They also have a very aggressive cut on the shoulders, so they look beefy from afar. With the steelies, it makes it look like a bad-ass little rally car. I just need some mud flaps to complete the look.

Anyways, made it through all of last winter without getting stuck once, and I live north of Bolton where we get dumped on with snow every year.

I'll be putting them on within the next few days.

The rule of thumb is: the WORST snow tire you can get, will still be better than the best all-season.
Considering going for the Sailun Ice blazers as Im on a tight budget but I am not ready to risk my safety and my car for being cheap. Would you recommend these tires for Canadian winter by chance? Toronto doesnt get trap loads of snow everytime but I rather be safe than sorry driving a RWD. I can get it for 85/tire before taxes so its super tempting but I have seen lots of people swear by continentals wintercontact or blizzaks and that makes me feel slightly inferior on my choice LOL. Any opinions?
driftking96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 01:22 PM   #68
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by driftking96 View Post
Considering going for the Sailun Ice blazers as Im on a tight budget but I am not ready to risk my safety and my car for being cheap. Would you recommend these tires for Canadian winter by chance? Toronto doesnt get trap loads of snow everytime but I rather be safe than sorry driving a RWD. I can get it for 85/tire before taxes so its super tempting but I have seen lots of people swear by continentals wintercontact or blizzaks and that makes me feel slightly inferior on my choice LOL. Any opinions?
I have the cheapest snow tires made on mine and I get around just as well as the guys with the top of the line ones.
Lynxis (12-13-2016)
Old 12-13-2016, 01:27 PM   #69
Frost
CASC-OR T.A. Director

Drives: '13 Prius, '22 BRZ
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-awesome View Post
Except so far this year from what I hear, Vancouver's had more snow than Calgary has so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
I have the cheapest snow tires made on mine and I get around just as well as the guys with the top of the line ones.
You aren't wrong but at the same time, that's not the entire truth either. Any properly rated snow tire will outperform an all season or summer tire by a huge margin.

When you start comparing snow to snow on the other hand, that's like comparing track tire to track tire and the question becomes how hard will you be pushing it and in what conditions? Slush? Dry cold tarmac? Ice? Some folks swear by their Hakkas but for TO conditions, an X-Ice would be better since we deal with ice and slush more often than true deep snow.

I do agree for sure, any snow tire is better than summer / all seasons.

OTA LIVE TIMING LINK
Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 01:31 PM   #70
driftking96

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S, 1998 Honda Accord
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Interesting, thanks for your opinion @Tcoat I appreciate it. Just wanted to make sure before I went ahead with a decision I could possibly regret.
driftking96 is offline   Reply With Quote