follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 05-10-2015, 01:57 PM   #1
Cross
It's the Mad Cow

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 146 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
PLM Header Review

Alright lets start this off with, copy, replica however you feel this thread is not the place for it. There are other threads for that, this thread is just to answer the experience of getting, installing and using this header.

Tuner: Mike @ Moto-East
Fuel: E85
Supporting Mods: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58591

So far it's been about three weeks and in that time I have to say while the sound is not what I really want the Headers Performance is quite impressive.
I am comparing this Header to the Agency Power and Open Flash Header (The OFH is a great UEL Header from my time with it) and will admit a bias towards the sound of the UEL. The reason I tried this one is that after things didn't work out with the LS Swap as planned I had to buy everything back since I had sold it after the Engine Failure on my STS Turbo Setup.

From a build standpoint the unit seems decently done but it could have had some better attention to detail. It also came with a sticky substance on the flanges but that was nothing a little cleaning didn't fix. I would have preferred the transition at the flanges be smoother but this is not a 800-1200 header so frankly I think it matches the cost and still works just fine.

I chose to wrap it when I installed it which made install a little more of a pain in the ass but nothing major. Be careful of the lower Cam Actuator as you can hit it...
You do have to remove the Oil Dipstick Tube it's not that hard but I did replace the O-Ring just to be safe.

Surprisingly it was easier to install than my UEL's I had a little more room to work.
As I mentioned I installed Header Wrap as the space this takes up in the engine bay worried me, it could be fine but I choose not to chance it.

It is a 3" Setup so you will either need to jerry rig it to work with smaller Overpipes or get a 3". I choose to have a custom 3" one made for me. The rest of my exhaust is now 3" with 2 Magnaflow Bullet Resonators and a Monva V2 Axle Back Setup. Still a little loud for my tastes on start up but after it settles down I like it. (I will provide a video of this and more shortly)

The power does surprise me, it just wants to keep going I hit redline more than once getting used to it and Moto-East's Revisions just kept making it better. @moto-mike deliverers a great tune as always.

Personally for the price this header does deliver a great performance result but if you can afford it I think a used Nameless is worth the extra cost. Either way though this header has not disappointed me for the price and results by any means. If anything it has made me rethink just how I feel about EL's vs. UEL's.

Here are some of the pictures, more are uploading and as mentioned I will be getting a few video's as well. As for Dyno's perhaps at some point but honestly this car is not going to hit my turbo numbers so I am really not as concerned sorry.
Attached Images

Last edited by Cross; 09-16-2015 at 07:17 PM.
Cross is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cross For This Useful Post:
Hyper4mance2k (05-11-2015), UNREAL (11-30-2015)
Old 09-16-2015, 07:25 PM   #2
Cross
It's the Mad Cow

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 146 Post(s)
Garage
So we passed 4 months so far with it and I am still running the Header but I really miss the UEL Rumble and have been thinking about swapping.

In the time since installing this I have moved on to a Sprintex Supercharger and made other changes as well as changing the exhaust to remove the Magnaflow Resonators and Switch to a full 3" muffler as the top end just didn't sound the way I wanted now it's tame enough for my old man hearing.

I have had no issues with cracking, melting, nor has @moto-mike had any issues tuning it.

I still have not gotten on a Dyno as I have been a little busy working on starting my own business in IT Consulting. So I have not devoted the time I should.

However I did fine a few interesting ways to have fun with the car and I have some installed pictures but you can't really see the header well besides the wrapping.

Either way it seems to be working great and I really need to get it on a Dyno and see how it does. Hopefully soon I can do that, my goal since I am using this EL is a Max HP number for an E85 Sprintex 210 setup. We will see if that happens.

I just realized I still need to get you guys a sound clip I will work on that at the car shows this weekend.

Last edited by Cross; 09-17-2015 at 02:25 PM.
Cross is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cross For This Useful Post:
raven1231 (09-24-2015), shifter907 (09-17-2015), UNREAL (11-30-2015)
Old 09-24-2015, 03:17 PM   #3
witz
Banned

Drives: all mine
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
nice write up!
witz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 02:50 PM   #4
JazzleSAURUS

Drives: 15 BRZ LTD, 05 FXT
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
@Cross still running this?

Did you try running it without a tune at all to see what the behavior was?

Looking to get rid of it?
SOLD: 2015 WRB BRZ Limited ('02 WRX BBS, S-04's, Stoptech Sport pads, MXP SP, AVO drop in filter, Mishimoto Intake tube, decatted header, OFT 93 Stage 2 EL Tune, Kartboy rear shifter bushing, Whiteline transmission and subframe lockout bushings, ST Coilovers, SPC Camber bolts w/smaller crash bolt, SPC LCA's & SPC Toe Arm bushings, Red TOMs, TRD Wing.)
JazzleSAURUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 03:38 PM   #5
fumanchu1

Drives: 2013 Brz C38 (bought not built :P)
Thanked 1,249 Times in 802 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Holy necrothread batman!
fumanchu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 03:55 PM   #6
JazzleSAURUS

Drives: 15 BRZ LTD, 05 FXT
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fumanchu1 View Post
Holy necrothread batman!
Yeah, I think with parts like this it's interesting to see if people are still running them a while later to see if their opinions have changed.
SOLD: 2015 WRB BRZ Limited ('02 WRX BBS, S-04's, Stoptech Sport pads, MXP SP, AVO drop in filter, Mishimoto Intake tube, decatted header, OFT 93 Stage 2 EL Tune, Kartboy rear shifter bushing, Whiteline transmission and subframe lockout bushings, ST Coilovers, SPC Camber bolts w/smaller crash bolt, SPC LCA's & SPC Toe Arm bushings, Red TOMs, TRD Wing.)
JazzleSAURUS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JazzleSAURUS For This Useful Post:
fumanchu1 (05-26-2016)
Old 05-26-2016, 05:00 PM   #7
fumanchu1

Drives: 2013 Brz C38 (bought not built :P)
Thanked 1,249 Times in 802 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzleSAURUS View Post
Yeah, I think with parts like this it's interesting to see if people are still running them a while later to see if their opinions have changed.
Oh no I get that, just felt like I needed to say something anyways (this is definitely a valid necro... if the user is still active that is)
fumanchu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 05:46 PM   #8
raven1231

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S, 2016 DGM WRX
Thanked 3,118 Times in 1,667 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzleSAURUS View Post
@Cross still running this?

Did you try running it without a tune at all to see what the behavior was?

Looking to get rid of it?
You can get them for like 200 bucks lol
raven1231 is offline   Reply With Quote