follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 02-13-2012, 01:28 PM   #71
Aki

Drives: '96 beater Corolla
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLuveKetchup View Post
Why get the 2014/15 ? I heard the 2016 will better. Or you can wait for the much improved 2017. Or...
An easy one.

Because this is an all-new car, built on a new platform. It usually takes a year after release to hash out and detect all the quirks/faults that weren't found in prototype testing. 2014MY is when they usually get all/most addressed. 2015 and onwards you wouldn't see a lot of changes, so there's no point waiting past 2014.

As an added plus, you then don't have dealer markup (which I guess won't be an issue with Scion), plus the additional possibilities of different trims being introduced. There's no real benefit to picking up one immediately, aside from very temporary exclusivity and braggings rights.
Aki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 03:12 PM   #72
RRnold
2 wheel member

Drives: JZA80, 997.1, Taco
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aki View Post
An easy one.

Because this is an all-new car, built on a new platform. It usually takes a year after release to hash out and detect all the quirks/faults that weren't found in prototype testing. 2014MY is when they usually get all/most addressed. 2015 and onwards you wouldn't see a lot of changes, so there's no point waiting past 2014.

There's no real benefit to picking up one immediately, aside from very temporary exclusivity and braggings rights.

My Tacoma, even though it's from the US, has gone through it's fair share of recalls and TSBs. Since this car is a whole new platform, there might not be any major issues but I'm almost certain find minor flaws and tweak them along the way.
Old 02-13-2012, 03:28 PM   #73
Gadflyii

Drives: Cleaned out the garage!
Send a message via AIM to Gadflyii
I am still undecided. I REALLY want one of these, but I have some reservations.

First I need to drive one.

Second I will not purchase until they are selling below MSRP

Third I am waiting to see if there will be a turbo version for the second model year.
Gadflyii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 05:25 PM   #74
tachi1247

Drives: 04 BMW 330i & 03 Mazdaspeed Protege
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadflyii View Post
I am still undecided. I REALLY want one of these, but I have some reservations.

First I need to drive one.

Second I will not purchase until they are selling below MSRP

Third I am waiting to see if there will be a turbo version for the second model year.
Sums up my exact position as well. Only thing that could accelerate this schedule is my current ride dying on me.
tachi1247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 08:37 PM   #75
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripjammer View Post
+1

the boxer motor is what makes this car so special
i dont troll at all. i just dont see what it does objectively that is any better than what can be done with a regular inline 4.
fatoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 08:49 PM   #76
neutron256

Drives: '13 GBS Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatoni View Post
i dont troll at all. i just dont see what it does objectively that is any better than what can be done with a regular inline 4.
Lower center of gravity, better balance, less vibration.
neutron256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 08:54 PM   #77
Zaku
-Proud of Brzerhood-

Drives: '17 BRZ CWP LMT.
Thanked 1,725 Times in 790 Posts
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
With all this talk about dealers not getting cars, and a large demand for them not to mention no room for negotiations. People might not have a choice but to wait ;/ all we know is that they'll definitely be 86 of them out there in the next couple of months.

"The BRZ Section's fine wine" -Zgrinch
Zaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 08:57 PM   #78
fatoni

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutron256 View Post
Lower center of gravity, better balance, less vibration.
well my miata has a lower center of gravity and so do lfas so i guess if we want to make blanket statements then yes, after inline 4s and v10 then yes boxers have a lower center of gravity. i dont see the need for that other stuff in a sports car

take a look at the cog of a c4 corvette and then find me one boxer that has ever made that kind of number

Last edited by fatoni; 02-13-2012 at 09:26 PM.
Old 02-13-2012, 09:43 PM   #79
CiViCKiDD

Drives: '11 Accord EX coupe, '02 Maxima SE
I'm waiting a year or two to see how things play out. I probably won't buy anything else but the FR-S/BRZ, since a lot of research has gone into this, but don't want to deal with the hassles of being an early adopter.

I hate dealerships, my last two new cars had problems under warranty (one Acura, one Honda) and all I got was the "can't duplicate" B.S. Both manual transmission related, unfortunately. The fewer issues I have to deal with the better.
CiViCKiDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 09:56 PM   #80
serialk11r

Drives: '06 AM V8V Coupe
Thanked 1,074 Times in 759 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
well my miata has a lower center of gravity and so do lfas so i guess if we want to make blanket statements then yes, after inline 4s and v10 then yes boxers have a lower center of gravity. i dont see the need for that other stuff in a sports car

take a look at the cog of a c4 corvette and then find me one boxer that has ever made that kind of number
fatoni, the miata is a valid example but LFA is not. The LFA has a much lower ride height. I also suspect that when they made the claim "lowest center of gravity in a production car" they were measuring the completely stripped one with no radio, no AC. Removing a few components that sit rather high in the engine bay, a head unit that sits high, and a few speakers on the dash/rear which sit high could drop it slightly below a Miata. Also a Miata has a lot of bracing underneath the chassis which lowers the center of gravity but is inefficient use of mass. If it were a hardtop I suspect things would look slightly different.

As for the C4 corvette, it has a much heavier engine which acts like ballast, but fair point still I guess.
serialk11r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 10:26 PM   #81
fatoni

Quote:
Originally Posted by serialk11r View Post
fatoni, the miata is a valid example but LFA is not. The LFA has a much lower ride height. I also suspect that when they made the claim "lowest center of gravity in a production car" they were measuring the completely stripped one with no radio, no AC. Removing a few components that sit rather high in the engine bay, a head unit that sits high, and a few speakers on the dash/rear which sit high could drop it slightly below a Miata. Also a Miata has a lot of bracing underneath the chassis which lowers the center of gravity but is inefficient use of mass. If it were a hardtop I suspect things would look slightly different.

As for the C4 corvette, it has a much heavier engine which acts like ballast, but fair point still I guess.
i have never heard anybody involved with toyota claim the lowest cog ever. i dont know where that came from. the point is that the cog isnt a direct result of the fundamental design of the engine. miatas have radios and acs that can be removed too. i think its funny to talk about how the lighter miata is inefficient in its use of mass. as far as the corvette goes, the only way to say that the boxer motor is better than a v8 in this case would be if the v8 weighed less, not more. that is unless you are saying that a v8 actually has a lower cog than a boxer which then makes this engine choice stupid again.

all im trying to say is that if this car ends up being special, its not because the car used a boxer motor
Old 02-14-2012, 12:48 AM   #82
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
all im trying to say is that if this car ends up being special, its not because the car used a boxer motor
As a Subaru enthusiast, I agree with you. It is, however, the most advanced boxer engine Subaru's ever released. That in-and-of-itself is something special.
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 01:04 AM   #83
CoryUyede
NisSubuGuru?

Drives: 2011 Subaru WRX
A lightweight, Affordable ,reliable(?) Boxer engined rear wheel drive sports car.

Does no one else get a semi when they think about this? am I the only one?

The whole package is just amazing ,yes the power is lacking..but i've had 350+hp subaru's before, i'm bored of power. I want to have fun.

I've always Loved Boxer engines AND Rear-Wheel Drive. I've always had to Choose. Now I Don't have to.

Past to Present
CoryUyede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 06:02 AM   #84
frusciantrix

Drives: Mini R56 JCW
The use of power depends of where you live. I often drive 240km/h (kph) on the autobahn. It's like cruising along when there is no traffic.

For me, a (supercharged) 86 with about 230hp and track usable brakes would be the ideal car for everyday driving and for fun.
frusciantrix is offline   Reply With Quote