follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides For all DIYs.

User Tag List

Old 12-06-2018, 05:46 PM   #1
vladniko86

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Clean Radar Install for FRS owners

So many of you might know how to do this already, as there are two other topics I found on the issue, but I wanted to rewrite a little bit of it. This is because there's some change I included, I'd just like to add it so people don't have to look through the other posts and can just follow this one. The other one was mainly for the BRZ, this is the FRS version.

To begin, you will need to have an FRS, or a BRZ without power mirrors. If your twin has power mirrors, go follow this great guide by speedracer38.

Next, go grab a RJ11 direct power cord. I got mine on eBay, but you can search for radar direct power cord, most of them will be the same. Just make sure it has the RJ11 (telephone cord looking) jack, and the otherside needs two prongs. I bought this one, and in case the seller takes it off heres what it looks like.

This setup will not require soldering, but you will need 16-14 gauge quick disconnects. Lowes didnt have this size, so I ended up buying them at AutoZone. The smaller the better. Also, if you screw anything up you will need spare 10A fuses. There might be some in your fuse box, but just follow the guide and you should be good.

Do this with your car off, otherwise you run the risk of blowing a fuse. Firstly, remove the dome light. Just pry your fingers into the side closest towards the back of the car and pull down. The dome light should come out, and if you press on the connector it will pull out and you can set the dome light aside. Towards the passenger side, sitting on the headliner, you should be able to feel another connector. Grab it, it's simply taped down, and pull it towards yourself. This is the unused power mirror connector. Now that you have it, it might be a little short, and that's where the problem lies. My cable was only 12", so I couldn't just plug it into the back of the power mirror connector. Looking at the back of the connector, you will see a blue, black and gray wire. The black is ground, and the gray is power. Now grab your quick disconnects, and pry one of the little round things so there's a little more space. Put the one of the prongs from the direct power cord in as far as you can into the place where you just pried it up, and once you've shoved it in as far as you can, crimp it with some pliers to hold it. Then do this for the other prong.
I finished this at night, so my pictures were pretty bad, but here they are.

Once that's done, you want to use your pliers and vertically crush the blue piece so both of the connectors go in. Watch video 1 below to see what I'm talking about. Next, you're going to shove the ground quick disconnect assembly onto the middle prong inside the power mirror connector. This should line up with the black wire. The other assembly you made, the one with the red wire, goes to the prong that connects to the gray wire on the power mirror connector. If you don't match the wire to the prong you'll be in trouble. Just look at the back of the connector before you shove in the assembly to make sure it's the correct prong. I made a couple videos so if you want to watch them it will show you how to finish it all up, and you can visualize what I've been trying to describe.

Note: If at any point it seems like power doesn't work on that connector, do this test. See if your DRL's work, and if your side power mirrors work and adjust. The fuse that runs the rear view power mirror runs those two things too, so if they don't work change the fuse. Just grab one of those tiny 10A fuses, go to in the interior fuse box under the steering wheel, and change the 10A fuse, closest to the engine bay and then closest to the passenger. Should be at the very bottom, closest to where your foot usually goes.

Hope you guys enjoyed, if you have any questions just lemme know and I'll try to update it. The 3rd video has the final look, so if you'd like to see what it ends up as go to that one. Sorry that they're a little dark, I started when it was like 2pm but by the time I figured out what to do it was 5 and already dark.
vladniko86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to vladniko86 For This Useful Post:
humfrz (12-06-2018)