follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing)

Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) Everything related to the mechanical maintenance of the FR-S and BRZ

User Tag List

Old 09-10-2018, 11:26 PM   #1
TheRealBFKR

Drives: '18 WRB BRZ Limited w/ PP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Down 1/3 quart on new car

Hi all,
I put on about 2.8k mile on my brand new ‘18 BRZ within the last month. Today, I noticed that my dipstick is reading about 1/3 of the way below the top hole. I am fairly certain it was right at the top hole when I checked at around 2k. Is this normal usage for a new car? Full disclosure: I do push the engine pretty hard on backroads. I have seen roughly 250F+ oil tell just from backroads driving.

I plan on doing my first autox day and HPDE weekend with it towards the end of the month. The plan is to change to 5w30 before then, even if I will realistically be under 4K miles at that point. I will then change back to 0w20 almost right after the HPDE weekend in October since winter is coming. Does that sound like a logical plan?

Thanks!
TheRealBFKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 11:45 PM   #2
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealBFKR View Post
Hi all,
I put on about 2.8k mile on my brand new ‘18 BRZ within the last month. Today, I noticed that my dipstick is reading about 1/3 of the way below the top hole. I am fairly certain it was right at the top hole when I checked at around 2k. Is this normal usage for a new car? Full disclosure: I do push the engine pretty hard on backroads. I have seen roughly 250F+ oil tell just from backroads driving.

I plan on doing my first autox day and HPDE weekend with it towards the end of the month. The plan is to change to 5w30 before then, even if I will realistically be under 4K miles at that point. I will then change back to 0w20 almost right after the HPDE weekend in October since winter is coming. Does that sound like a logical plan?

Thanks!
Hello TheRealBFKR and welcome to our forum -

I wouldn't worry about your car consuming 1/3 quart of oil in 2,800 miles, especially since it's new. Back in the day, we used to expect a new engine to use a little oil, till the oil rings got good and seated.

Mine uses about a half a quart between oil changes (7,000 miles).

I wouldn't think it would be necessary to change to the heavier oil for a limited autox and HPDE exposure. But, if it makes you feel better, it won't hurt anything.

It's most important to keep the oil level near the top hole on the dipstick, especially if you are pushing it.

Have a fun track experience -

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Spuds (09-11-2018)
Old 09-11-2018, 12:54 AM   #3
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Quote:
Hi all,

Thanks!
Buy an oil cooler.

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to finch1750 For This Useful Post:
Spuds (09-11-2018)
Old 09-11-2018, 11:49 AM   #4
Spuds
The Dictater

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 12,430 Times in 6,146 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
How are you measuring oil temp?

As mentioned before:
Oil consumption is normal.
You might want to consider an oil cooler of some variety.
Spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 03:05 PM   #5
TheRealBFKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuds View Post
How are you measuring oil temp?

As mentioned before:
Oil consumption is normal.
You might want to consider an oil cooler of some variety.
I have the Limited so there is a handy digital gauge on the dash display.

OC is on the agenda, just probably not for my first track day ever.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheRealBFKR For This Useful Post:
Spuds (09-11-2018)
Old 09-11-2018, 03:06 PM   #6
TheRealBFKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Hello TheRealBFKR and welcome to our forum -

I wouldn't worry about your car consuming 1/3 quart of oil in 2,800 miles, especially since it's new. Back in the day, we used to expect a new engine to use a little oil, till the oil rings got good and seated.

Mine uses about a half a quart between oil changes (7,000 miles).

I wouldn't think it would be necessary to change to the heavier oil for a limited autox and HPDE exposure. But, if it makes you feel better, it won't hurt anything.

It's most important to keep the oil level near the top hole on the dipstick, especially if you are pushing it.

Have a fun track experience -

humfrz
Thanks, humfrz. I have actually been lurking on the forums for a quite a few years now. The BRZ has been a dream car of mine for quite some time. Glad to finally be a part of the 86 gang.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheRealBFKR For This Useful Post:
bcj (09-12-2018), humfrz (09-11-2018)
Old 09-11-2018, 06:07 PM   #7
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Quote:
I have the Limited so there is a handy digital gauge on the dash display.

OC is on the agenda, just probably not for my first track day ever.
Any reason why not for the first day ever? Your car sees high RPM all the same and you're seeing high temps outside of the track as is.

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 06:09 PM   #8
Sapphireho
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Drives: '15 ultramarine
Thanked 18,240 Times in 8,609 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by finch1750 View Post
Any reason why not for the first day ever? Your car sees high RPM all the same and you're seeing high temps outside of the track as is.

+1. If I was seeing 250 on the street consistantly I would cool it for track, hell, for the street.
Sapphireho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 12:15 AM   #9
TheRealBFKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapphireho View Post
+1. If I was seeing 250 on the street consistantly I would cool it for track, hell, for the street.
I am moving soon to the Pacific Northwest, where the summers rarely get above the 80s.

I want to make sure I have an oil cooler that doesn't overcool the oil.
Right now, it seems like either the OEM Forester OC or the JR Dual Radiator/OC could be the answer.

The latter is of course, a lot pricier and could really only happen after I move at the end of the year.
Old 09-12-2018, 12:57 AM   #10
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
I am moving soon to the Pacific Northwest, where the summers rarely get above the 80s.

I want to make sure I have an oil cooler that doesn't overcool the oil.
Right now, it seems like either the OEM Forester OC or the JR Dual Radiator/OC could be the answer.

The latter is of course, a lot pricier and could really only happen after I move at the end of the year.
Personally, I don't feel an oil cooler is necessary for a non tracked car in the western part of the PNW.

Now, my good buddy, @Ultramaroon, down in Vancouver, WA, installed an oil cooler. Maybe he would like to comment -

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 02:49 AM   #11
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,516 Times in 18,918 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
My engine is bone stock.

I monitor temps and pressures.

I run the biggest fucking oil cooler ever paired with this engine.

I have a diverter valve so I can control flow anywhere between full bypass to full cooler.

I only run 0w20.

Anywhere above 200 F the oil will not reach spec pressure.

If the engine is run steadily above 4500-5000, the oil gets hot quickly regardless of water temp. I don't know if all engines do this but this one is the first to which I've paid close attention. Based on my observations from tinkering with my system in all kinds of conditions, I can confirm the recommendations published by Setrab here.

I run a little under half my oil through the cooler with a 180F thermostat in all cases except sustained operation between 5000-redline. Then, my 72-row, series-1 just manages to keep the oil below 190F.

tl:dr

Unless it's a dedicated track car, pick a cooler designed to dissipate around 30KBTU/hr. You won't be sorry.