follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 07-10-2014, 06:38 PM   #1751
jvincent

Drives: 2022 WRB BRZ Sport-Tech
Thanked 1,410 Times in 715 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I was going to suggest the same thing.
jvincent is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jvincent For This Useful Post:
ButtonMasher (07-11-2014)
Old 07-11-2014, 02:01 PM   #1752
Slick

Drives: FR-S Firestorm 6MT
Thanked 1,389 Times in 628 Posts
Mentioned: 137 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Any feedback/opinions on HotBits DT1 or DT2 coilovers?
Slick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 12:10 AM   #1753
NissanGuy

Drives: Strangely.
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I finally took your advice and used a less conservative alignment for my -otherwise stock- car: Went from 35 to 46 minutes camber front, kept 55 camber rear.

The understeer is a bit less severe now, and the steering has just a hair more feel. An impromptu drift session around my dealership shows me that the car feels more natural now, once the grip has been exceeded. The biggest difference, which isn't immediately apparent, is the tire wear: Before, I would cook the front tires and induce understeer after roughly 5 miles. Now, the tires heat evenly and I can drive consistently. In fact, I prefer the way the car acts when all 4 tires are pretty much cooked.

The downside is, as I feared, reduced transitional grip from the front end. So, my prejudices can at least remain intact.

I found one guy complaining that his FR-S oversteers under braking. Do they all do that? My complaint is that my BRZ understeers under braking, I might just have to get some FRS springs...
NissanGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 12:03 PM   #1754
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,242 Times in 2,963 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
Quote:
Originally Posted by NissanGuy View Post
I finally took your advice and used a less conservative alignment for my -otherwise stock- car: Went from 35 to 46 minutes camber front, kept 55 camber rear.

The understeer is a bit less severe now, and the steering has just a hair more feel. An impromptu drift session around my dealership shows me that the car feels more natural now, once the grip has been exceeded. The biggest difference, which isn't immediately apparent, is the tire wear: Before, I would cook the front tires and induce understeer after roughly 5 miles. Now, the tires heat evenly and I can drive consistently. In fact, I prefer the way the car acts when all 4 tires are pretty much cooked.

The downside is, as I feared, reduced transitional grip from the front end. So, my prejudices can at least remain intact.

I found one guy complaining that his FR-S oversteers under braking. Do they all do that? My complaint is that my BRZ understeers under braking, I might just have to get some FRS springs...
That's good to hear. Still not a lot of camber though! Get better dampers to improve transitions.

The oversteer under braking for the other gentleman is likely a toe problem.

- Andy
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 02:07 PM   #1755
SomeoneWhoIsntMe

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Wow. If you can perceive that much of a difference between .5° and .75°, imagine 1.5° or *gasp* even 2°
Old 07-13-2014, 03:58 PM   #1756
NissanGuy

Drives: Strangely.
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeoneWhoIsntMe View Post
Wow. If you can perceive that much of a difference between .5° and .75°, imagine 1.5° or *gasp* even 2°
Haha, I'm splitting hairs for sure. But, 2 degrees is shampoo-drinkingly crazy.

My car came with readings ranging from +20 minutes to -1 degree 50 minutes camber and it was nearly undrivable. The excess rear camber made it impossible to quickly merge into traffic without going sideways on these crap SF roadways. I bet 2 degrees is fine if you have super sticky tires, but then again what isn't?
NissanGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 04:29 PM   #1757
bfsnail

Drives: 2013 FR-S
I'm pretty sure I messed up somewhere...

I loved the way the car handled when I first got it but wanted a more agressive look more and was willing to take a hit in handling/comfort in order to achieve that. I ended up installing Eibach Sportline Springs, XXR 527 wheels in 18x8.75 +35 and Firehawk wide oval Indy 500 tires in 225/40/18.

Upon completeing this install the car didn't handle as well as I expected and I thought it was because of a bad alignment so I installed SPC camber bolts in the front and lower control arms in the rear and got a factory alignment with a small amount of extra negative camber in the front.

It helped, but was still not where I want it to be. I feel like the overall traction, especially while accellerating, has decreased dramatically. Also I felt like the car used to transition from gripping the road to sliding smoothly but now its very erratic, sudden and not confidence inspiring in the slightest.

I'm fairly certain that my problem either lies in the sportlines and stock dampers, which are from what I've heard over sprung and under damped, or the cheaper tires that are semi stretched. I read multiple reviews about both the springs and tires and a vast majority of them were extremely positive so I was pretty surprised that I ended up where I am now.

So would the above combination bring me to the state that I feel the car is in now? Or is there possibly something else amiss that I haven't thought about?

My car is my DD with the occassional spirited drive and I plan on getting the Fortune Auto 500s and Pilot Super Sports in a 235/245 width which should give me an excellent DD fun car. That being said, which of these two will fix more of my problems and make the biggest improvement?
bfsnail is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bfsnail For This Useful Post:
ZionsWrath (07-17-2014)
Old 07-16-2014, 04:32 PM   #1758
7thgear
i'm sorry, what?

Drives: Canada
Location: I rock a beat harder than you can beat it with rocks
Thanked 2,506 Times in 1,268 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
what the fuck are Firehawk wide oval Indy 500 tires

you're absolutely sure your alignment is good? You say you did a factory setting, but was it at a good shop? Did you get a printout back?
Old 07-16-2014, 05:08 PM   #1759
bfsnail

Firestone Firehawk Tires They have pretty good reviews, especially for the price. I thought I was getting a good deal...

I did get a printout from the shop. -1.3 camber and 0 toe in the front and -1.2 camber and +0.1 toe in the rear
Old 07-16-2014, 05:29 PM   #1760
7thgear
i'm sorry, what?

Drives: Canada
Location: I rock a beat harder than you can beat it with rocks
Thanked 2,506 Times in 1,268 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfsnail View Post
Firestone Firehawk Tires They have pretty good reviews, especially for the price. I thought I was getting a good deal...

I did get a printout from the shop. -1.3 camber and 0 toe in the front and -1.2 camber and +0.1 toe in the rear
the tires themselves are most likely pretty good, especially if they're branded as a high performance summer tire

I was just making a funny cuz the tire genereally falls outside our usual spectrum

now, that +0.1 toe (out) is what is having me worried, as toe out makes the car much more sensitive

although not sure what 0.1 is? degrees?
Old 07-16-2014, 05:40 PM   #1761
bfsnail

The printout is from a local Firestone and just has the Toe listed as +0.10 degrees. I don't know what that is in inches or if that is in or out...

The specs I was trying to go off of are in this thread http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11016

My previous alignment had 0 toe in the rear and had a lot of the same behavior
Old 07-16-2014, 10:01 PM   #1762
Racecomp Engineering

Quote:
I loved the way the car handled when I first got it but wanted a more agressive look more and was willing to take a hit in handling/comfort in order to achieve that. I ended up installing Eibach Sportline Springs, XXR 527 wheels in 18x8.75 +35 and Firehawk wide oval Indy 500 tires in 225/40/18.

Upon completeing this install the car didn't handle as well as I expected and I thought it was because of a bad alignment so I installed SPC camber bolts in the front and lower control arms in the rear and got a factory alignment with a small amount of extra negative camber in the front.

It helped, but was still not where I want it to be. I feel like the overall traction, especially while accellerating, has decreased dramatically. Also I felt like the car used to transition from gripping the road to sliding smoothly but now its very erratic, sudden and not confidence inspiring in the slightest.

I'm fairly certain that my problem either lies in the sportlines and stock dampers, which are from what I've heard over sprung and under damped, or the cheaper tires that are semi stretched. I read multiple reviews about both the springs and tires and a vast majority of them were extremely positive so I was pretty surprised that I ended up where I am now.

So would the above combination bring me to the state that I feel the car is in now? Or is there possibly something else amiss that I haven't thought about?

My car is my DD with the occassional spirited drive and I plan on getting the Fortune Auto 500s and Pilot Super Sports in a 235/245 width which should give me an excellent DD fun car. That being said, which of these two will fix more of my problems and make the biggest improvement?
Springs are too low, wheels are too heavy, tires are too stretched.

+.1 toe would be toe in, that's a bit more than I'd recommend.

- Andy
Old 07-16-2014, 10:43 PM   #1763
bfsnail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecomp Engineering View Post
Springs are too low, wheels are too heavy, tires are too stretched.

+.1 toe would be toe in, that's a bit more than I'd recommend.

- Andy
While I appreciate how much you guys contribute to the community, this post is pretty worthless. I already know that the springs are not ideal with the stock dampers, there is no way that the slightly heavier wheels have any negligible effect on the problems i'm having, and I already know that the tires are slightly stretched.

Also since I have "a bit more" toe than you would recommend, what exactly would you recommend.

Also back to the original question of my post, which would make the largest improvement, the coils or new tires?

Blunt, I know, but I already ****ed up once and am working on fixing it and the standard "you need to spend 5k+ on the kw v3s, forged wheels, and the best tires you can buy" is getting old. Especially for my DD car.
Old 07-17-2014, 12:13 AM   #1764
Racecomp Engineering

Quote:
While I appreciate how much you guys contribute to the community, this post is pretty worthless. I already know that the springs are not ideal with the stock dampers, there is no way that the slightly heavier wheels have any negligible effect on the problems i'm having, and I already know that the tires are slightly stretched.

Also since I have "a bit more" toe than you would recommend, what exactly would you recommend.

Also back to the original question of my post, which would make the largest improvement, the coils or new tires?

Blunt, I know, but I already ****ed up once and am working on fixing it and the standard "you need to spend 5k+ on the kw v3s, forged wheels, and the best tires you can buy" is getting old. Especially for my DD car.
Sorry if that came across wrong...I was trying to keep it simple.

With regard to the springs its not a valving thing IMO. They're just too low...they're a style spring. Adding Konis will help a little but they'll still be too low and you'll lack travel.

Solution: almost any other spring including stock.

For the wheels, heavy wheels can absolutely make a car feel sluggish in handling, especially on stock dampers.

Solution: lighter wheels that aren't so wide.

The rear toe, it's just a little more than I'd recommend.

Solution: as close to zero as possible. A tiny bit of toe in is good, like a 1/4 of what you have now.

Your tires don't concern me nearly as much as the three things that I mentioned in this post and my previous.

I'm not trying to sell you anything. Those springs when pushed, especially on stretched tires will result in sudden loss of grip. Coilovers on their own will help but I'd also try to find any wheel tire package that isnt stretched. Whether that means new wheels or new tires is up to you but I'd recommend new wheels. Easier to sell off wheels than tires.

Just my thoughts, hope that helps.

- Andy

Last edited by Racecomp Engineering; 07-17-2014 at 11:56 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
bfsnail (07-17-2014)