follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 02-03-2013, 07:12 PM   #15
SteveGrillo

Drives: Brz
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I have the nav system, and have replaced the door speakers with image dynamics which were a huge upgrade. I'm now trying to improve the dash speakers. Did you upgrade from the nav system? Or base audio?

Steve
SteveGrillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:12 PM   #16
xjohnx
Grip>Slip

Drives: 13 SWP BRZ Ltd - Innovate Powered!
Thanked 1,716 Times in 1,031 Posts
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveGrillo View Post
I have the nav system, and have replaced the door speakers with image dynamics which were a huge upgrade. I'm now trying to improve the dash speakers. Did you upgrade from the nav system? Or base audio?

Steve
All US BRZ's come with navi.
xjohnx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:13 PM   #17
SteveGrillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjohnx View Post
All US BRZ's come with navi.
Doh! My bad.

So I'm not looking for more bass, but much better mid/high details. Can someone comment more about this??
Old 02-03-2013, 09:43 PM   #18
ExWhyZer0

Drives: Whiteout FR-S M/T
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikdrt1 View Post
I recommend those guys - I got mine there also.
price is under what is listed as msrp also --
I paid and had it at my door within a week.
the instructions say it will take you 2hrs - it took me about 4-5 but still worth it.
So what can I expect from the system in terms of an upgrade? Other than the sub, is the sound quality better?
ExWhyZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:20 AM   #19
WRM

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWhyZer0 View Post
So what can I expect from the system in terms of an upgrade? Other than the sub, is the sound quality better?
I just finished self installing the system today. It is a lot better than stock.

It is not just about the subwoofer since it comes with new tweeters, DSP power amplifier and subwoofer amplifier.

With the stock system, things get muddy with the volume knob set to 30+. Also, you couldn't get decent sound on the freeway with the windows rolled down.

This system seems to have enough power and has much cleaner sound. I'll evaluate the system more in the coming days and respond back if my opinion changes.

Note to self installers: In the instructions it will tell you to start putting back the rear speaker panels at a certain point. Don't put the passenger side back together until later, after you put the subwoofer clip in. Otherwise, you will be removing the pieces again. There might be a couple more gotchas if anyone is interested.
WRM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WRM For This Useful Post:
ExWhyZer0 (02-05-2013), tripjammer (02-05-2013)
Old 02-05-2013, 07:36 AM   #20
SteveGrillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM View Post
I just finished self installing the system today. It is a lot better than stock.

It is not just about the subwoofer since it comes with new tweeters, DSP power amplifier and subwoofer amplifier.

With the stock system, things get muddy with the volume knob set to 30+. Also, you couldn't get decent sound on the freeway with the windows rolled down.

This system seems to have enough power and has much cleaner sound. I'll evaluate the system more in the coming days and respond back if my opinion changes.

Note to self installers: In the instructions it will tell you to start putting back the rear speaker panels at a certain point. Don't put the passenger side back together until later, after you put the subwoofer clip in. Otherwise, you will be removing the pieces again. There might be a couple more gotchas if anyone is interested.
Why did you ave to remove the rear speaker panels? Does the system come with different rear speakers?

Steve
Old 02-05-2013, 09:04 AM   #21
Foobar
SLO NO MO

Drives: '19 Tesla Model 3 Performance
Thanked 1,062 Times in 738 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveGrillo View Post
Why did you ave to remove the rear speaker panels? Does the system come with different rear speakers?

Steve
Probably the new amp had to run direct to the rear speakers rather than back to the HU harness.
Foobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:49 AM   #22
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer

Drives: 2006 Honda S2000
Thanked 5,759 Times in 3,055 Posts
Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
Tagged: 10 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to King Tut
I think Foobar is right. There are no wires run to the OEM amp area for the rear speakers according to the BRZ wiring diagrams.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:37 PM   #23
tripjammer

Drives: WRB BRZ limited 6MT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I am seriously thinking of getting this system for the BRZ. What if I get the speakers in the doors and the rear dynomatted too. Anybody thought of doing that when they get this system upgrade?
tripjammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:59 PM   #24
Chewie4299
Spaceman

Drives: 2013 Firestorm Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Thanks for the review. I was looking at this but I already have some high end equipment left over from my 2006 Jeep so I'm halfway to building a really solid aftermarket system.

I'm really surprised so far by the stock system as I've never seen OEM speakers in a sub $50k car that weren't absolute crap so I'm in no rush.

What I want is a more versatile headunit. Ideally something Android based but the current options aren't impressing me and the fact that they come from no-name brands really bothers me.

I've always used pioneer units because, to me, they are superior in all aspects to other big boys. I have one of their older audiophile grade single DIN headunits from my old system that I just installed in my beater/winter vehicle because the old one SUCKED. (Clarion)
Chewie4299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:01 PM   #25
Chewie4299
Spaceman

Drives: 2013 Firestorm Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
The other thing that bothers me is the way the rear speakers are mounted. They are just sort of suspended by a mounting bracket in a void behind the panel. I saw one build where they essentially build a plywood/fiberglass enclosure into this void and significantly boosted the capabilities of that mounting location.
Chewie4299 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chewie4299 For This Useful Post:
tripjammer (02-06-2013)
Old 02-06-2013, 10:28 PM   #26
blackraven1425

Drives: raven at
Hey, thinking about getting one of these. I'm leasing, so OEM approved is likely my only option. Some of the reviews I've read call it well balanced, which fits my style perfectly - I'm not looking for booming bass, but a really reference-type experience in sound instead of the way the stock system is setup.

What I'm wondering is if anyone agrees with this assessment. Also, did anyone get it installed at the dealership? If so, how much was the install?
blackraven1425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:47 PM   #27
MiniGuy

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ SS Sporttech 6sp.
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
I have one in my Canadian BRZ - its a solid upgrade over stock and sounds very good. This is not the upgrade for bass heads or SPL Junkies but for the rest of us it fits the bill nicely.

Double check you are getting the system for your SPECIFIC head unit. Daniel at OEMAudio will help you out. The DSP settings are specific to each model of head unit and you just need to ensure you get the right one.

I installed mine and as long as you have a bit of skill and some patience, it's very doable. For me it was 3 hours. Take a look at the install video:
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbnpadJUTwE&list=UUbD2fme6Xpp8I9HLYtzxeOA& index=2"]Scion FR-S | System 400+ upgrade by OEM Audio+ - YouTube[/ame]

Read the manual and if your still not comfortable, call you dealer to install.

Enjoy!
MiniGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:59 PM   #28
blackraven1425

Drives: raven at
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniGuy View Post
Double check you are getting the system for your SPECIFIC head unit. Daniel at OEMAudio will help you out. The DSP settings are specific to each model of head unit and you just need to ensure you get the right one.

I installed mine and as long as you have a bit of skill and some patience, it's very doable. For me it was 3 hours. Take a look at the install video:

Read the manual and if your still not comfortable, call you dealer to install.

Enjoy!
Yeah, I haven't heard about the settings for specific head units before. I'll make sure that it's correct for mine.

The thing about having it installed at the dealer, on top of my lack of experience messing with cars, is that it doesn't affect my lease. That's likely worth more than the savings of installing myself on its own, I'm just wondering what I'd be looking at price-wise on top of the $1100 investment in the system.

Thanks for the info!
blackraven1425 is offline   Reply With Quote