follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 02-23-2014, 05:18 PM   #337
s2d4

Drives: R32 GTR, AW11 MR2 SC, GTS86 R
Thanked 1,223 Times in 708 Posts
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RelentlessGT View Post
@86viper and @steve99

Are either of you guys in Melb? I have a stock GT and always run 98 fuel. I am interested in the open flash tablet but wouldn't mind trying a tune first if possible. Maybe one of your could flash mine.
More fun to just go for a ride in their car and do some pull comparison with your car and theirs.
Old 02-23-2014, 06:01 PM   #338
Kronos

Drives: Asphalt FR-S MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2d4 View Post
More fun to just go for a ride in their car and do some pull comparison with your car and theirs.

Very true! 98 runs great probably. However it's still on a stock tune.

You should definitely try to find a car that's already running the OFT e85 tune. It almost feels like a different engine in the car. Instead of a torque dip. There's constant power up to 4k. Then at 4k it kicks in even harder and from there on it just keeps pulling harder and harder. Daily drivability has been improved so so much. It's very nice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kronos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kronos For This Useful Post:
Shiv@Openflash (02-23-2014)
Old 02-23-2014, 06:07 PM   #339
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
@86viper and @steve99

Are either of you guys in Melb? I have a stock GT and always run 98 fuel. I am interested in the open flash tablet but wouldn't mind trying a tune first if possible. Maybe one of your could flash mine.

Unfortunately i am in the "sunshine state" I think @Burn is in Melbourne.

I am currently running OFT tune on 98 (or united 100) and it works well.

Don't expect huge HP gains there is only about 10 on a stock car on 98 fuel. The main benefit is its just smoother all round and better torque, less torque dip. Economy is pretty much the same or perhaps slightly better due better torque down low.

You get a bit more kick on E85 another 10-15 or so HP through rev range on a stock car over 98 tune.

If you want big HP you need Forced induction.

Last edited by steve99; 02-23-2014 at 06:18 PM.
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 06:13 PM   #340
PMok
Codename: Stitch

Drives: 91 MR2; 06 IS350; 16 BRZ; 18 CX-5
Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,307 Posts
Mentioned: 462 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quote:
@86viper and @steve99

it's not that simple to flash your car just so you can try it. Each OFT is "married" to one ECU. In order for someone to let you try it on your car, they would have to reflash their car back to stock tune, erase the OFT's ECU data with a laptop, then read your ECU effectively marrying the OFT to your car. Then reflash your car. Let you drive around briefly then they would reflash you back to stock tune, and unmarry from your car, all so they can go back and do everything again to their car.

TL;DR - it's not that easy to just lend you a flash to try with OFT. Maybe someone is really nice and would let you try it but it's a lot of hassle for them. So yeah catch a ride with someone, that is asking a lot less of them.
Old 02-23-2014, 06:23 PM   #341
RelentlessGT

Drives: Toyota GT86 Manual
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99 View Post
Unfortunately i am in the "sunshine state" I think @Burn is in Melbourne.

I am currently running OFT tune on 98 (or united 100) and it works well.

Don't expect huge HP gains there is only about 10 on a stock car on 98 fuel. The main benefit is its just smoother all round and better torque, less torque dip. Economy is pretty much the same or perhaps slightly better due better torque down low.

You get a bit more kick on E85 another 10-15 or so HP through rev range on a stock car over 98 tune.

If you want big HP you need Forced induction.

Hi
Yes, it is the torque dip that I would like smoothed out.

I didn't realise that the OFT and ECU were 'married' so yes it is completely unreasonable for me to expect someone to put that effort in just to prove benefit. I guess for $500 the OFT is the best performance/dollar improvement for the stock car (even 10hp) and as I live about 2km from an E85 fuel station then that would be good before Phillip Island track days.

Does the tune also change how aggressive the rev limiter is? I accidentally hit it in third coming onto the Phillip Island straight and it sucks big time.

Thanks
RelentlessGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 06:30 PM   #342
Burn
Slack Bum

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Hi

I didn't realise that the OFT and ECU were 'married' so yes it is completely unreasonable for me to expect someone to put that effort in just to prove benefit. I guess for $500 the OFT is the best performance/dollar improvement for the stock car (even 10hp) and as I live about 2km from an E85 fuel station then that would be good before Phillip Island track days.

Does the tune also change how aggressive the rev limiter is? I accidentally hit it in third coming onto the Phillip Island straight and it sucks big time.

Thanks
Rev Limiter is adjusted upwards by about another 200 (from 7400 to 7600) and been running OFT for about 2-3 months with 98 RON.. so far so good, haven't tried E85 or P100 yet.
Burn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 06:50 PM   #343
steve99
Banned

Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Hi

Thanks
As @Burn said they increase the rev limit by 200rpm but also its changed to a softer cut in as they adjust the "delta" to 50rpm not 500 (think) to its no longer face in the dash. In fact is so "soft" it often takes a moment to realise you hit it, I heard some guys set the delta to 100rpm to make it a bit more noticeable.

You won't eliminate the torque dip with just OFT tune on petrol but it will be much better, add headers or E85 and it pretty well gone. both even better. Stock intake is pretty good not much gains in intakes.

You also get
Flat foot shift
Launch Control
DI seal fix mod (if you have earlier ROM's)
Bumped up idle (100rpm)

Last edited by steve99; 02-23-2014 at 07:01 PM.
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 08:05 PM   #344
86viper

Drives: 2013 Toyota 86 GTS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I am also in QLD.

e85 is brilliant!

Ill be doing some dyno's and what not once my headers arrive as well.
86viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 08:30 PM   #345
Luckrider
My Other Ride's a Jeep

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99 View Post
As @Burn said they increase the rev limit by 200rpm but also its changed to a softer cut in as they adjust the "delta" to 50rpm not 500 (think) to its no longer face in the dash. In fact is so "soft" it often takes a moment to realise you hit it, I heard some guys set the delta to 100rpm to make it a bit more noticeable.

You won't eliminate the torque dip with just OFT tune on petrol but it will be much better, add headers or E85 and it pretty well gone. both even better. Stock intake is pretty good not much gains in intakes.

You also get
Flat foot shift
Launch Control
DI seal fix mod (if you have earlier ROM's)
Bumped up idle (100rpm)
I'm the one who changed to 100rpm and to be honest, it really isn't that noticeable. I just happen to like the way to hit with the change. I feel more confident in running the motor out and hitting the shift right without forgetting to change. It was 100% for preference.
Luckrider is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Luckrider For This Useful Post:
steve99 (02-23-2014)
Old 03-02-2014, 04:42 PM   #346
gonzo

Drives: frs
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I'm on e85 that's a little mixed with gas I would guess around e70 (first time I filled with e85 i had 3 gallons of 91 in my tank, second time I filled with e85 once I got to half empty on that first tank)

My AFR is too high. Should I rereflash now that I'm running a higher ethanol content? I think my first tank was about e60. With that tank, my afr was in the low 12s. Now that my tank has a higher ethanol mixture the AFR is in the mid 13s.

http://datazap.me/u/gonzo/gonzo-0302

I haven't taken it past 6000 rpm because I was worried how lean it is

I have the stock airbox with a drop in filter, nameless catted front pipe, and nameless axle back

Last edited by gonzo; 03-02-2014 at 05:03 PM.
gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 05:19 PM   #347
Shiv@Openflash

Drives: 2013 FRS
Thanked 5,469 Times in 1,494 Posts
Mentioned: 605 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo View Post
I'm on e85 that's a little mixed with gas I would guess around e70 (first time I filled with e85 i had 3 gallons of 91 in my tank, second time I filled with e85 once I got to half empty on that first tank)

My AFR is too high. Should I rereflash now that I'm running a higher ethanol content? I think my first tank was about e60. With that tank, my afr was in the low 12s. Now that my tank has a higher ethanol mixture the AFR is in the mid 13s.

http://datazap.me/u/gonzo/gonzo-0302

I haven't taken it past 6000 rpm because I was worried how lean it is

I have the stock airbox with a drop in filter, nameless catted front pipe, and nameless axle back
As long as you are running more than ~e60, just drive the car. If it's lean now it's only because it needs to relearn from running too rich before. This doesn't take very long and you have more than enough octane to not worry about running lean during this process.
Shiv@Openflash is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Shiv@Openflash For This Useful Post:
gonzo (03-02-2014)
Old 03-02-2014, 06:41 PM   #348
gonzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
As long as you are running more than ~e60, just drive the car. If it's lean now it's only because it needs to relearn from running too rich before. This doesn't take very long and you have more than enough octane to not worry about running lean during this process.
Thank you for the quick response, Shiv.

I'm going to take it easy, no WOT, for a bit longer till I get all of the 91 out of my tank and the ethanol level stabilizes. Once I go WOT I'll log it and check AFR again.

My thoughts on OFT and the tune: OFT is very easy use! I wish the cable was a little longer, maybe 6-8 inches, but it's manageable. When I first flashed the stage 1 91 tune, I didn't notice much of a difference from stock. The car was coming out of the torque dip sooner, but if I had bought OFT just for the 91 tune I may have been a little disappointed with paying ~$560 (with tax & shipping). Once I flashed to e85 I could instantly tell a difference. There isn't a torque dip anymore. Paying $560 for the e85 tune is a steal.

Thanks for providing this at such a great price. The e85 tune is truly worth more than what I paid and that's why I'm going to have no problem paying Vishnu whatever it costs to custom tune when I get FI.

Excellent customer service, response time, and pricing is how to make loyal, lifelong customers. Everyone else take note.
Old 03-02-2014, 07:00 PM   #349
Kronos

Drives: Asphalt FR-S MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
OpenFlash Tablet E85 (and gasoline) Maps now available

My second datalog on e85. Probably 150 miles on the tune

I've got no idea what I'm looking at so any help would be appreciated!

http://www.datazap.me/u/kronos/e85-data-log-2

Edit: its a third gear pull
Kronos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 07:23 PM   #350
gonzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronos View Post
My second datalog on e85. Probably 150 miles on the tune

I've got no idea what I'm looking at so any help would be appreciated!

http://www.datazap.me/u/kronos/e85-data-log-2

Edit: its a third gear pull

Your lt fuel trim, AFR, and IAM look good, but I just started learning about tuning a few weeks ago so I'll let someone else chime in.

Is you tank filled with just e85 or do you have some regular gas mixed in too?