follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 02-01-2013, 10:45 AM   #15
boredom.is.me
Custom User Title

Drives: Asphalt FR-S MT
Thanked 1,182 Times in 697 Posts
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Don't forget HKS.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:24 AM   #16
PNW FRS

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob G. View Post
K&N. I have 1 with no issues and yes I've checked for oil on my sensor. Drop ins are the way to go if you want to let your engine breathe and don't want a whole new intake system (the stock setup is pretty good). Just my opinion...
I just installed a K&N (I've liked their products over the years)... and here's some "first impressions."

A subtle improvement on the low-end... engine seems to be running a bit smoother -- noticed this "at idle" and when working through 1st to 2nd gear.

My comparison point is what I've been keeping track of over the last 3 weeks since I took delivery. A somewhat "stumbling idle" and what I would characterize as some carry-over of that as revs build were on my list of things to address with dealer at 1st service. After this morning's commute... maybe not. Maybe there is some "placebo effect" coming into play (i.e, maybe I WANT it to be better) but I'm hoping that I'm being pretty objective.

Taking a slow approach to modding.. considering a silicone intake tube next... and then a Nameless Offset Axleback exhaust.

Commentary: I LOVE driving this car... haven't had this much fun driving in a long time! And the fact that it didn't cost an arm & two legs is just gravy!

Last edited by PNW FRS; 02-01-2013 at 11:38 AM.
PNW FRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 04:28 PM   #17
Tylub

Drives: Raven Black FR-S
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
glad you like it

instagram @Tylub
Mods: Tomei UELs, Tomei OP, Perrin Catted FP, ARK DT-S, Perrin LW Crank Pulley, Enkei RPF1, RSR Sporti, Supertek Intake Tube, Perrin CAI, Stoptech SS lines/brakes/slotted rotors, Cusco MCB brace/Strut Bar
Tylub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:15 PM   #18
Kamran
Pepe Le Pew Wannabe

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostinIX View Post
Biggest issues on K&N's were newbies over-oiling them, then wondering why their filter is dripping into their MAF.
Nope! My brand new k&n filter ended my track day in less than one half a day. Had to replace my sensor. It all depends on the proximity of the sensor to where the filter is and how hot the filter get when tracking the car. Even the mechanic told me, afterwards, k&n and the type of car I was tracking don't mix well!

These cars are now a days so well tuned that the engine couldn't really use any more air than it gets from OEM filter.

Unless you are competing, there is no real need...

I'm also independently very, very..... dependent!
Kamran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:11 PM   #19
Jacob G.

Drives: '13 Scion FR-S Whiteout
Garage
It may not necessarily need the extra air before a tune but if you want a stage 2 tune intake upgrade is recommended. The engine can definitely take advantage of more air flow if the F/A ratio is tweaked. Yes at stock you probably won't gain a lot but really how much do you expect for a $40-$50 upgrade and unless you get an intake with a sensor tricker like AEM a tune is necessary to take maximum advantage of the difference. IMO it's worth it also i wouldn't take a brand new oiled filter to the track without breaking it in and it is always a good idea to blot an oiled filter out of the bag because it can start a bit juicy.
Jacob G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:53 PM   #20
elrod

Drives: WRB BRZ Limited MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
@Jacob G. I want to thank you for the useful suggestion of blotting a new oiled filter just out of the bag. I have always had to oil my own before. When I get a DIF, I will heed your advice. [I would have pressed the THANKS button but I don't get one until I have 10 posts???????]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob G. View Post
It may not necessarily need the extra air before a tune but if you want a stage 2 tune intake upgrade is recommended. The engine can definitely take advantage of more air flow if the F/A ratio is tweaked. Yes at stock you probably won't gain a lot but really how much do you expect for a $40-$50 upgrade and unless you get an intake with a sensor tricker like AEM a tune is necessary to take maximum advantage of the difference. IMO it's worth it also i wouldn't take a brand new oiled filter to the track without breaking it in and it is always a good idea to blot an oiled filter out of the bag because it can start a bit juicy.
elrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:07 AM   #21
Kamran
Pepe Le Pew Wannabe

Or not use an oiled filter ... And why would you, when you have so many other options? Why risk doing the damage when you don't have to...?

For a stock car, do you seriously think when Toyota could benefit from the marketing aspects of advertising more Hp for the car, with a $20 part (mfr cost, or maybe less), that they would try to save the extra $5 and forego the Hp gain, when they can obviously could use it for marketing purposes. Especially if its as easy as implied!

Now if you are turbo'ing or SC'ing and you need more air, then That's a different story.

True, for $50, I don't expect anything, but then if I don't expect anything why would I do it??

Old 02-03-2013, 01:10 AM   #22
Gixxersixxerman

Drives: Toyota GT86, 66 beetle, 11 GSXR 750
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
One of the guys at the evasive dyno meet today, only mod is a drop in apexi air filter and Perrin engine pulley.. He dyno at 171.. I put 175 with a injen intake, greddy evo 3 exhaust and Perrin engine pulley.. We was all just as shocked
Gixxersixxerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:28 AM   #23
ahausheer
Re-member

Drives: Toyota camry
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Keep in mind, other threads have shown (proven?) that you can easily do back to back dyno runs and see more than a few hp difference. Especially if you reset the ecu, or if you are looking at a hp chart provided by the seller of said product (as above). Point being, more than a very minor hp gain is not going to happen on this car. Last thing: There was no increase in hp when there was no filter at all, I dont understand how a filter could possibly make hp.

Having said that I have used a K&N in the past, largely out of curiosity and just for fun, and yes, my car felt faster.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:35 AM   #24
Anorexic 86
Trim the Fat & add Boost

Drives: sometimes I fly
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Cosworth filter here... 100% synthetic media... NO oil.

High flow.
Anorexic 86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:51 PM   #25
Kamran
Pepe Le Pew Wannabe

I'd be very curious to see one of the "members" posting a before and after Dyno run with just a filter, and no other mods? And not posting the worst before run and the best after run for comparisons.

Old 02-03-2013, 01:21 PM   #26
be6sti

Drives: 2013 scion frs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamran View Post
I'd be very curious to see one of the "members" posting a before and after Dyno run with just a filter, and no other mods? And not posting the worst before run and the best after run for comparisons.
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showpost.php?p=348691

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-03-2013, 02:59 PM   #27
Kamran
Pepe Le Pew Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by be6sti View Post
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showpost.php?p=348691

Yes, thanks! I'd seen that too, but I'm still very curious to see member's own results and not the vendor's results.

Also, if the OEM filter Dyno run would be the last run, and not the first run. First couple of runs typically warm up the engine and are really not suitable to set standard of measure.

Old 02-03-2013, 03:18 PM   #28
be6sti

Drives: 2013 scion frs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamran View Post
Yes, thanks! I'd seen that too, but I'm still very curious to see member's own results and not the vendor's results.

Also, if the OEM filter Dyno run would be the last run, and not the first run. First couple of runs typically warm up the engine and are really not suitable to set standard of measure.
Even as a vender Jeremy and Yo have nothing to gain by favoring one set up over another... They tested a wide variety of filters... Finding a member that isn't a vender to dyno test several hundreds of dollars worth of filters is kind of asking a lot isn't it?