follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Southern California

Southern California SoCal

User Tag List

Old 05-23-2013, 01:17 AM   #43
Turboblades

Drives: Argento Fr-s
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Bump this thread. Hope to see some frs/brz this saturday night.
Turboblades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 02:06 AM   #44
KelvinBRZ
GBS Mafia Member

Drives: with Snow mode on
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turboblades View Post
Bump this thread. Hope to see some frs/brz this saturday night.
Unfortunately I'll be in LA saturday night.. however, I'm down to meet up sometime during June!
KelvinBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 02:48 AM   #45
DAFRS88

Drives: Hot Lava Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
i cant make it this weekend but probably next week for sure =)
DAFRS88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 03:34 AM   #46
ashtray
As Seen On The Internet

Drives: 2003 WRX, 2013 BRZ, 442
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Touge86 View Post
I know the target shopping center off las posas in Camarillo has been used for car meets in the past (8 years ago) but that died off. I don't know many spots in Oxnard/Ventura where we could meet. Up for wherever though.
There's an Impreza club that still meets there weekly...

Ok - posted last page: 9:30pm Saturdays. No burn outs, donuts, revving, music, etc.
ashtray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 11:36 AM   #47
Wayne

Drives: Hot Lava FR-S AT
Post Casitas Pass Cruise This Sunday?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFK0424 View Post
We'll set up a Sunday Drive next week or so... Any ideas?
We (my wife and I) have been watching the forum, and especially this thread with great interest. I really appreciate JFK0424 kicking off the plan for FR-S/BRZ meets in our area. Personally, I really don't want to get very involved in the organization or operation of a 'local club', but I would like to enjoy an occasional daylight cruise - at sporting, but safe and sensible, not boy-racer-wannabe speeds - with other reasonably mature and responsible folks who appreciate our cars.

I know that our OP is camping this weekend, but for whatever it might be worth, Kay and I are going to do a sort of pilot run to check out the timing and feasibility for a loop through our local mountain roads. We'd like to welcome any other interested forum participants to join us. Since several people have posted from Santa Barbara and San Luis Obispo, we thought it might work to do the Carpinteria-Ojai-Santa Paula (CA-150) loop.

So... this Sunday (May 26th), we'll start from Marina Park in Ventura, hoping to see a few other folks from our backyard, as well as anyone who wants to drive up from the LA or Santa Clarita regions. We'll be at that park (at the end of Pierpont Boulevard, about a mile east of the Seaward offramp from US-101) around 9 AM, and we'll leave (driving up the coast) in time to reach Rincon Beach Park (at the Bates Road offramp of US-101) at 9:30 AM. We'll hope to meet a few folks from SB and SLO there. We'll bring a pot of coffee and a dozen donuts to encourage a bit of socialization with whoever shows up, planning to be on the road again at about 10 AM.

We'll drive up Rincon Hill Road to CA-150, winding upward and eastward to Lake Casitas, where we'll stop for brunch at the Marina Cafe. [There's no charge for entry with restaurant validation.] After brunch we'll continue on into Ojai, up Dennison Grade and back down into Santa Paula, where we'll cruise Main Street before saying goodbye to any other GT86ers still with us at the shopping center just past Steckel Road. Other drivers may opt to leave us at the lake, and return down Santa Ana Road to Ventura.

Again, I think of this as sort of a 'proof-of-concept' for future group cruises on our local mountain curves. Since this is a bit of a last minute post and it is Memorial Day weekend, I'm guessing we won't have more than a very few other cars join us, but we'll follow up with a post of whatever lessons we learn, hoping that the experience might lead to a series of drives, on this route or other local loops like Balcom and Grimes canyons, or Portrero and Santa Rosa Roads.

And that's my two cents... but that evaluation is clearly not based on word count.
Ventura County CA
Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 11:52 AM   #48
JFK0424

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
We (my wife and I) have been watching the forum, and especially this thread with great interest. I really appreciate JFK0424 kicking off the plan for FR-S/BRZ meets in our area. Personally, I really don't want to get very involved in the organization or operation of a 'local club', but I would like to enjoy an occasional daylight cruise - at sporting, but safe and sensible, not boy-racer-wannabe speeds - with other reasonably mature and responsible folks who appreciate our cars.

I know that our OP is camping this weekend, but for whatever it might be worth, Kay and I are going to do a sort of pilot run to check out the timing and feasibility for a loop through our local mountain roads. We'd like to welcome any other interested forum participants to join us. Since several people have posted from Santa Barbara and San Luis Obispo, we thought it might work to do the Carpinteria-Ojai-Santa Paula (CA-150) loop.

So... this Sunday (May 26th), we'll start from Marina Park in Ventura, hoping to see a few other folks from our backyard, as well as anyone who wants to drive up from the LA or Santa Clarita regions. We'll be at that park (at the end of Pierpont Boulevard, about a mile east of the Seaward offramp from US-101) around 9 AM, and we'll leave (driving up the coast) in time to reach Rincon Beach Park (at the Bates Road offramp of US-101) at 9:30 AM. We'll hope to meet a few folks from SB and SLO there. We'll bring a pot of coffee and a dozen donuts to encourage a bit of socialization with whoever shows up, planning to be on the road again at about 10 AM.

We'll drive up Rincon Hill Road to CA-150, winding upward and eastward to Lake Casitas, where we'll stop for brunch at the Marina Cafe. [There's no charge for entry with restaurant validation.] After brunch we'll continue on into Ojai, up Dennison Grade and back down into Santa Paula, where we'll cruise Main Street before saying goodbye to any other GT86ers still with us at the shopping center just past Steckel Road. Other drivers may opt to leave us at the lake, and return down Santa Ana Road to Ventura.

Again, I think of this as sort of a 'proof-of-concept' for future group cruises on our local mountain curves. Since this is a bit of a last minute post and it is Memorial Day weekend, I'm guessing we won't have more than a very few other cars join us, but we'll follow up with a post of whatever lessons we learn, hoping that the experience might lead to a series of drives, on this route or other local loops like Balcom and Grimes canyons, or Portrero and Santa Rosa Roads.

And that's my two cents... but that evaluation is clearly not based on word count.
I would love to go on this ride. Let me know how it goes. I wil def be there next saturday and hope to be out on the next ride.
JFK0424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 12:17 PM   #49
kurbkilla

Drives: Scion FRS (Asphalt)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
This sat is out for me too.
kurbkilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 12:36 PM   #50
JFK0424

If you cant make it this saturday, we can get everyone together next saturday. No problem.
Old 05-24-2013, 03:15 AM   #51
ToeKnee805

Drives: 1986 Corolla GT-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Anyone down to go drifting in August?

August 25, 2013
Drift or Grip beginner friendly event.
$125 per driver

Passengers are allowed.
ToeKnee805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 10:05 AM   #52
JFK0424

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeKnee805 View Post
Anyone down to go drifting in August?

August 25, 2013
Drift or Grip beginner friendly event.
$125 per driver

Passengers are allowed.
Looks like a fun event, but i know my ride isnt set up for drifting.
Old 05-25-2013, 01:49 AM   #53
Touge86

Drives: 2013 DGM BRZ M/T
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Looks like a fun event, but i know my ride isnt set up for drifting.
The FRS/BRZ is setup for drifting @ stock!
Old 05-25-2013, 10:56 AM   #54
JFK0424

[QUOTE=Touge86;959215]The FRS/BRZ is setup for drifting @ stock! [/QU
At stock. Your right, but i added bigger heavier wheels and I put megans for that stanced look. So my own set-up would not be very good for drifting imo.
Old 05-26-2013, 04:23 PM   #55
Wayne

Drives: Hot Lava FR-S AT
Smile Highway 150 Cruise

Quote:
I would love to go on this ride. Let me know how it goes.
Well, our starting spot clearly doesn't have all the charm of those drab gray concrete parking structures we see in other pix on the forum, but we do what we can with what we have to work with...

This is Rincon Beach Park near Carpinteria, on a bluff overlooking the Pacific, with lots of free parking and open public restrooms. We exited the park directly onto about 40 miles of two-lane roadway (CA-150), climbing and twisting through the coastal mountain ranges. We also indulged in short cruises of the main streets of two small Ventura County cities along the way (Ojai and Santa Paula), which are almost like a time warp to SoCal of the 1940s.

There's not much in the way of passing opportunities for slower traffic, and you have to be aware of bicyclists, but even on this holiday weekend the traffic was pretty light. We had the chance to play with a group of sports motorcyclists and a couple of VW Golfs. That short uphill slalom from the eastern end of Ojai Valley to Dennison Park is really FUN in an FR-S, even in full-on nanny mode.

I recommend this route as a nice venue for a weekend cruise of GT86s!
Ventura County CA
Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wayne For This Useful Post:
KelvinBRZ (05-28-2013)
Old 05-28-2013, 04:19 AM   #56
chjno86
a/k/a ikuzOtaku

Drives: Whiteout FRancheSka
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
lets go cruising =)
chjno86 is offline   Reply With Quote