follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 08-24-2018, 10:16 AM   #29
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,907 Times in 11,362 Posts
Mentioned: 181 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by meadowz06 View Post
Banks can't get close to credit union auto loan rates. Not on used. And warranties are NOT overrated. The touch screen radio in a FRS/BRZ is 800-1000. Certified FRS/86's are the best used deals. They have full bumper to bumper warranties, and a 7 year, 100,000 mile warranty on the engine and transmission. Inspected from head to toe, and in between. And you had a Yaris, the most basic car in Toyota's range. I do this for a living. And credit is NOT overrated. Good credit scores mean you have the banks and credit unions at YOUR mercy. Bad credit is the other way around!

Warranties are a gamble at best. You are betting things will break and the dealer or warranty company is betting they won't. The dealer is the "house" and they will almost always win because they know and adjust based on the odds. In over 40 years of driving I've NEVER had a car under 100,000 miles need a major repair, and only a couple that needed one under 200,000 miles. Warranties are nice to have, but I'm perfectly OK self insuring on that.

A good credit score is only necessary if you decide to go into debt. It's an easy game to beat.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 11:04 AM   #30
Cheeky

Drives: 10 Series FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Just my 2c, IDK if it will help.

I bought mine used from a big car brand dealership. This was also my first self-owned car.

-Just as a family tradition, we always buy used cars from dealerships because they usually give it a full inspection and prep it like stock. Gives a better feel rather than buying private sale where you are really trusting the previous owner about the car. Some dealerships may have warranty included, which doesn't hurt.

-In hindsight, a lot of the FRS I found at dealers were lemons, ding'd up, chipped, repainted and repaired for various accidents. Mint ones are not easy to come by. I did some post-searching for private sale cars and some of them seem could just be as good of a deal if not better, so don't count them out. Also, dealerships tend to sell high... and some dealerships are quite shady!!! (even big name dealerships)

-When you see the right car, you will know it. You can tell when the car has been cared for. As much as you want the twin now, don't let the eagerness affect your purchase decision and be patient. Don't settle for a lesser car.

-My car was not mint, but for 2013 it was in really good condition and repaired pretty well. As long as you can accept it, take the risk go for it. My car has had absolutely 0 issues. You obviously want to be extra wary of things like bumpers repainted/unmatched, panel deformations, missing parts of car, bring someone who can really detect that sort of stuff for test drive.

-You will want to MOD this car when you get it. And this is coming from someone who likes the stock look. Stock allows you to appreciate the car even more as originally engineered and will make modding even more rewarding. If you buy a pre-modded car, you may feel like the car is not your own. If you don't mind that though, pre-modded car will save you $$$.
Cheeky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cheeky For This Useful Post:
DC86 (08-24-2018)
Old 08-24-2018, 01:07 PM   #31
why?
Only happy when it rains.

Drives: series.blue
Thanked 1,263 Times in 749 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Banks can't get close to credit union auto loan rates. Not on used. And warranties are NOT overrated. The touch screen radio in a FRS/BRZ is 800-1000. Certified FRS/86's are the best used deals. They have full bumper to bumper warranties, and a 7 year, 100,000 mile warranty on the engine and transmission. Inspected from head to toe, and in between. And you had a Yaris, the most basic car in Toyota's range. I do this for a living. And credit is NOT overrated. Good credit scores mean you have the banks and credit unions at YOUR mercy. Bad credit is the other way around!
Debt is basically choosing to enslave yourself to the current banking system. Debt is never ever a good thing for a normal person. Unless a person knows how to earn money off of debt there is never a reason for anyone to choose to be in debt. It is really really easy to play the system to have a good credit score without becoming a debt slave.

There is very little differences between credit unions and banks at this point. I would assume anyone would look for the best rate they can find. That is basic common sense.

Warranties are overrated. Sorry but even on a twin the odds of using a warranty is slim to nothing. The stock touchscreen is garbage. A $300-$400 basic radio mp3 player from walmart will be better sound quality. The navigation is total garbage. I literally never use it, even crappy navigation apps on my phone are better. Not to mention anything that actually does break the dealer will fight tooth and nail not to cover. This isn't an six figure luxury car, 2015 and after cars are all on the solid side.

Certified used is the biggest scam going. Most dealers that are honest will tell you they have to charge you $1000 more on the same car to get that package, and the odds of needing the warranty are slim, they aren't going to certify anything that has any issues or any models that have a history of issues. Unless it is an expensive tech filled german car it is basically burning cash. Any actual good dealer does the same inspection on every used car on their lot.

Funny how you think you are the only one that could possibly know anything about anything.
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to why? For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (08-24-2018)
Old 08-24-2018, 01:55 PM   #32
Spuds
The Dictater

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 12,400 Times in 6,129 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
Debt is basically choosing to enslave yourself to the current banking system. Debt is never ever a good thing for a normal person. Unless a person knows how to earn money off of debt there is never a reason for anyone to choose to be in debt. It is really really easy to play the system to have a good credit score without becoming a debt slave.
Do you own a house and did you pay 100% up front?

If no to the first half, then you are wasting money on rent that you will never get back, unlike a house payment which has at least some portion you get back (home equity) If no to the second half, then you took on debt.

If yes to both, then you either paid rent longer than you needed to, or were born rich AF and shouldn't be telling normal people what to do.

The point is that properly managed debt is a very useful tool in many cases (including transportation). You have to spend money to make money and not everyone starts with money to spend. Banking, investment, and debt are capitalism's solution to social mobility.
Spuds is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Spuds For This Useful Post:
Brooklyn (09-07-2018)
Old 08-24-2018, 01:55 PM   #33
Clipping_Path

Drives: 13 FRS – Whiteout
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
The touch screen radio in a FRS/BRZ is 800-1000.
A grand, is this true? You can grab a slick Sony headunit with Apple CarPlay/Android Auto, a larger and higher resolution screen for $300 nowadays.
Clipping_Path is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 02:00 PM   #34
Sasquachulator
Pavement Grey

Drives: 2020 Toyota 86 GT, 2017 BMW X1
Thanked 2,220 Times in 1,203 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipping_Path View Post
A grand, is this true? You can grab a slick Sony headunit with Apple CarPlay/Android Auto, a larger and higher resolution screen for $300 nowadays.
Depends on the HU and what features it comes with, it can get up there in price. Usually if you wanted something with built in nav that would push It to the upper tier. If you don't and just want to rely on android auto/apple carplay you can save yourself a few bucks. The inconvenience of having to plug in the phone to get the nav function may be worth the extra cash to some.
Sasquachulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 05:13 PM   #35
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
sounds like you would want a mk1 MR2.

Credit is overrated. Save the cash in a bank account, find a bank that will give a good rate on an auto loan, and just let the bank take the payment automatically from the account. Best of both worlds. Car is already paid for and you are building credit.

I see no value in buying normal cars. Also note that while a small segment abuses the twins, most just use them like normal cars.

Besides warranties are overrated. Some have needed it on the twins but 2015 and after seem to have all the kinks worked out. A boring eco vehicle like a Yaris or a Versa has zero need for a warranty. My Yaris lasted 12 years before I sold it, and not once did I ever need to invoke the warranty, and from what I've seen on those forums no one else did either.

Telling an enthusiast to buy a versa, no matter how old, is just wrong on every level possible.
OP sounds like someone on a fairly tight budget with no credit. Being fiscally responsible when you're first starting out is solid advice.

Correct on the warranty/ not needing it....great!!! You helped my point out on that.

Your bank account / loan idea is a great credit building tool. Often first time buyers have not saved up the money to do that, especially with a car 15k+ used.
Summerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 07:39 PM   #36
meadowz06
THE CORVETTE KING!

Drives: 2013 FR-S, and 2016 FR-S!
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:

There is very little differences between credit unions and banks at this point. I would assume anyone would look for the best rate they can find. That is basic common sense.

Warranties are overrated. Sorry but even on a twin the odds of using a warranty is slim to nothing. The stock touchscreen is garbage. A $300-$400 basic radio mp3 player from walmart will be better sound quality. The navigation is total garbage. I literally never use it, even crappy navigation apps on my phone are better. Not to mention anything that actually does break the dealer will fight tooth and nail not to cover. This isn't an six figure luxury car, 2015 and after cars are all on the solid side.

Certified used is the biggest scam going. Most dealers that are honest will tell you they have to charge you $1000 more on the same car to get that package, and the odds of needing the warranty are slim, they aren't going to certify anything that has any issues or any models that have a history of issues. Unless it is an expensive tech filled german car it is basically burning cash. Any actual good dealer does the same inspection on every used car on their lot.

Funny how you think you are the only one that could possibly know anything about anything.
First off, Certified cars ARE a good deal. All certified Toyota cars and trucks are as new. Right down to the brake pads and rotors. Everything is inspected, and if not perfect, made perfect. Sure, you can get a inspection done, and that is great. But things do break. I see warranty claims on 16,17 model cars all the time. And most people don't want a aftermarket radio. I don't. Your the same guy, who when offered a warranty, refuses, then calls back when something major breaks, and bitches. I see it ALL THE TIME! And while I don't know everything, I do know a little about certain things. And cars are one of those things. To each his own.
Old 08-24-2018, 08:01 PM   #37
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuds View Post
Do you own a house and did you pay 100% up front?.
There's a huge difference between borrowing money for an appreciating asset and a depreciating one. Apples and oranges @Spuds (or would that be onions and potatoes?)

Old 08-24-2018, 10:45 PM   #38
Spuds
The Dictater

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 12,400 Times in 6,129 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
There's a huge difference between borrowing money for an appreciating asset and a depreciating one. Apples and oranges @Spuds (or would that be onions and potatoes?)
My point was that the statement that debt was NEVER a good thing was not true. It also applies to cars. If you don't have reliable transportation, it's hard to have a job. Reliable transportation is not cheap. Unreliable transportation, though less expensive, may even cost more in the long run than interest on a car loan, and expenses aren't as predictable. The whole connecting having a job to affording a car thing should be obvious.

Not defending the whole buying above one's means to pay back deal, just providing the counter-argument to 'debt is bad'.
Spuds is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Spuds For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (08-25-2018)
Old 08-25-2018, 11:45 AM   #39
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuds View Post
My point was that the statement that debt was NEVER a good thing was not true. It also applies to cars. If you don't have reliable transportation, it's hard to have a job. Reliable transportation is not cheap. Unreliable transportation, though less expensive, may even cost more in the long run than interest on a car loan, and expenses aren't as predictable. The whole connecting having a job to affording a car thing should be obvious. Not defending the whole buying above one's means to pay back deal, just providing the counter-argument to 'debt is bad'.

Semantics, but I would say it is never a good thing, but may be a necessary evil at times, and getting a reliable car doesn't necessarily mean spending enough money you need a loan, (car prices are more a function of age then reliability, there are reliable $1000 cars and unreliable $50,000 cars) but I do understand your point.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
Spuds (08-25-2018)
Old 08-25-2018, 12:13 PM   #40
mrg666
pessimistic skeptic

Drives: '14 FR-S Monogram AT JRSC
Thanked 1,035 Times in 684 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC86 View Post
Same as title above, I'm thinking about getting a used FR-S after accruing 3k for the down payment. Been looking around and seeing many for up to 15k to 19k with, on average, 50k miles on the odometer. Ive never bought or financed a car before and I dont have any prior experience with it and I was wondering if any on here could share their experiences and share any tips when buying a used FR-S
Be very careful buying a used FRS. This is a great car but abused by idiots very frequently.
https://reddit.app.link/QXLMVbsOFP
mrg666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 06:59 PM   #41
RallySport

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
It's a great car, do it.

It probably won't feel like it at first, but it's a buyer's market for these cars. Take your time, avoid cars with "stories." Definitely finance through a local credit Union. Check underneath for rust.

Good luck!
RallySport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 07:22 PM   #42
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RallySport View Post
It's a great car, do it.

It probably won't feel like it at first, but it's a buyer's market for these cars. Take your time, avoid cars with "stories." Definitely finance through a local credit Union. Check underneath for rust.

Good luck!

Uh...a buyers market? For now maybe in the next 3-6 months

With interest rates on the cusp of rising and an auto tariff coming. It's best to buy new now if you're going to before that all hits harder...
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote