follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List
jpit

Old 03-24-2014, 02:08 PM   #4005
Revolutions Performance

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ RP Turbo Kit
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Is nameless advertising the coating as a thermal barrier or just a ceramic coating? They are two different things as I found out when researching coatings for our products.
Revolutions Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Revolutions Performance For This Useful Post:
FrsDuke (03-24-2014)
Old 03-24-2014, 02:11 PM   #4006
FrsDuke
Fanboy

Drives: 2013 ultramarine frs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolutions Performance View Post
Is nameless advertising the coating as a thermal barrier or just a ceramic coating? They are two different things as I found out when researching coatings for our products.
From their page
"Optional ceramic coating is the best in the business - featuring a two layer, twice cured process that radically reduces surface temperatures and heat transfer out of the tubing while at the same time improving exhaust gas velocity by retaining heat inside of the header. Both layers of coating are on the inside and outside of the tubing (so if you cross sectioned the tube, it'd be two layers of ceramic, one layer of stainless, two layers of ceramic). It is highly recommended for performance, longevity in salted/corrosive environments as well as overall reduction in engine bay heat. As a reference, this is what people coat turbine housings with. It's the most aggressive and resilient coating on the market, bar none. "

What has me pondering things is a number of buyers with the coating voicing concerns and it being black. Figure I'd just give folks the chance to compare.

-Duke
FrsDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 02:17 PM   #4007
Boxer486
Banned

Drives: small
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrsDuke View Post
What would be surprising is if the coated headers were worse for under hood temps than the uncoated which is my suspicion. I would rather be wrong on this, but that is my concern.
I can't imagine how you could begin to come to that notion. How do you figure an insulator could extract more heat than is present in the base iron/steel or aluminum header? It would have to be at most equal to or less than.

The reasoning for improving gas flow is by using the insulation to retain high temps already present to retain higher port velocity. If the heat is retained in the gas, it is not being lost as ambient temperature under the hood as with an uncoated header. Basic laws of Thermodynamics prohibit the coating from creating more heat than is already present when untreated.

Your theory is basically that all race teams that use coated headers are spending more time and money to actually make their cars slower?

Maybe this will help:
http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles...amic_coatings/
Boxer486 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Boxer486 For This Useful Post:
chanomatik (03-24-2014), Revolutions Performance (03-24-2014)
Old 03-24-2014, 03:14 PM   #4008
FrsDuke
Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer486 View Post
I can't imagine how you could begin to come to that notion. How do you figure an insulator could extract more heat than is present in the base iron/steel or aluminum header? It would have to be at most equal to or less than.

The reasoning for improving gas flow is by using the insulation to retain high temps already present to retain higher port velocity. If the heat is retained in the gas, it is not being lost as ambient temperature under the hood as with an uncoated header. Basic laws of Thermodynamics prohibit the coating from creating more heat than is already present when untreated.

Your theory is basically that all race teams that use coated headers are spending more time and money to actually make their cars slower?

Maybe this will help:
http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles...amic_coatings/
As stated before there are two types of coatings available and black radiates more heat and it's just a suspicion. Nothing more. I just want to see what difference the coating makes. I don't understand why it is such a huge point of contention.

Let me rephrase my entire line of inquiry. Let's find out just how awesome the ceramic coating really is! I got uncoated numbers above lets see some coated numbers.

-Duke
Old 03-24-2014, 03:28 PM   #4009
Hawaiian
That guy

Drives: Ultramarine mt FR-S
Thanked 1,389 Times in 730 Posts
Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quote:
As stated before there are two types of coatings available and black radiates more heat and it's just a suspicion. Nothing more. I just want to see what difference the coating makes. I don't understand why it is such a huge point of contention.

Let me rephrase my entire line of inquiry. Let's find out just how awesome the ceramic coating really is! I got uncoated numbers above lets see some coated numbers.
I think I remember Gmooker (remember him?) actually did this with a P&L header before he was banned. He had temps +20-30 degrees hotter on his untreated exhaust parts (overpipe back) than he did on his coated header. I'll try to see if I can find his post.
Jr Tuned 506whp @17psi (e73)
Hawaiian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 04:07 PM   #4010
FrsDuke
Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaiian View Post
I think I remember Gmooker (remember him?) actually did this with a P&L header before he was banned. He had temps +20-30 degrees hotter on his untreated exhaust parts (overpipe back) than he did on his coated header. I'll try to see if I can find his post.
Again I'm not saying ceramic coating doesn't work. I want to know how well the coating on the nameless header works

-Duke
Old 03-24-2014, 04:15 PM   #4011
FR-S Matt
Banned

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S MT
Thanked 1,771 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Garage
My coating on my header definitely reduces temps. I compared how hot my end of my overpipe was to my front pipe and it was significantly cooler. Coating has been used for many many years. It also helps against cracking in the later years from long term high heat exposure.
FR-S Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 11:41 AM   #4012
Ranatsu
Cone basher

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Series.Yellow
Quote:
Well using a raytek mt6 mini temp laser thermometer I measured all over the header from the runners to the collector and after an hour of driving and 10 min at idle with the hood closed I'm seeing temps from 190-240F at various places with the header surfaces closest to the intake sitting at 190-210 F. This is an uncoated nameless header. I also checked temps on the surrounding surfaces and didn't find any surface above 200F with the underside of intake bits sitting below 180F

So after sitting at idle for 10 min those are the temps I measured on an uncoated header.

Now if someone with a coated header would like to do the same that would be great and give folks an idea of what the coating is doing in terms of radiant heat.
I have the ceramic coated manifold and I measured temps yesterday with a Fluke IR Thermometer. The Takeda intake box was sitting around 150F. I'll do it again today because I didn't think to write anything down as far as locations and temps. Things still definitely get hot.
Ranatsu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ranatsu For This Useful Post:
FrsDuke (03-25-2014)
Old 03-25-2014, 11:43 AM   #4013
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranatsu View Post
I have the ceramic coated manifold and I measured temps yesterday with a Fluke IR Thermometer. The Takeda intake box was sitting around 150F. I'll do it again today because I didn't think to write anything down as far as locations and temps. Things still definitely get hot.
Did you grab your specific pre-install temps or are you comparing against already posted temps?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaiian View Post
How could we forget? Grueling endurance testing in the deserts of Arizona!
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OrbitalEllipses For This Useful Post:
chanomatik (03-25-2014)
Old 03-25-2014, 11:54 AM   #4014
acro

Drives: GT-86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:

black doesnt radiate more heat it actually absorbs.
acro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 11:59 AM   #4015
NickFRS

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Coating producing more heat. That's why people use it. More heat soak more power...

Just kidding.......
NickFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 11:59 AM   #4016
Ranatsu
Cone basher

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Series.Yellow
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitalEllipses View Post
Did you grab your specific pre-install temps or are you comparing against already posted temps?

How could we forget? Grueling endurance testing in the deserts of Arizona!
I'm mostly comparing to what he was getting. I've checked before in the past at Autocross events and I feel like the intake was around 120 or so if just sitting at idle in grid.
Ranatsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 12:28 PM   #4017
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranatsu View Post
I'm mostly comparing to what he was getting. I've checked before in the past at Autocross events and I feel like the intake was around 120 or so if just sitting at idle in grid.
By any chance have you logged IATs before and after install?
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 12:34 PM   #4018
DatApex

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I'm on the waiting list for the next batch of coated headers, so when I get mine if we're still debating this I'll grab pre-install stock un-coated header temps and post install coated header temps.
DatApex is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
21 months no dyno, 22 months no vendor dyno, 22months4rattles&leakssmh, amazing warped qualiy, y u no tag