follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine Swaps

Engine Swaps Discussion of engine swaps.

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 04:34 PM   #29
venturaII
Only users lose drugs.

Drives: All the time
Thanked 1,067 Times in 674 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOHOME View Post
Who knew that Martians were into engine swaps?

(Let's see who else can figure that out)

Nice sci-fi reference. The term is used pretty commonly in the software development field, though many of the younger guys have no idea of it's origins...
Old 03-09-2015, 04:34 PM   #30
Koa
Sweeper

Drives: '02 RA Bugeye | '15 FRS
Thanked 1,488 Times in 788 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by venturaII View Post
Nice sci-fi reference. The term is used pretty commonly in the software development field, though many of the younger guys have no idea of it's origins...
it is origins?
Old 03-09-2015, 04:36 PM   #31
venturaII
Only users lose drugs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koa View Post
it is origins?

Sci-fi.
Old 03-09-2015, 04:39 PM   #32
Koa
Sweeper

Garage
Quote:
Sci-fi.
just poking fun of your use of "it's" when you mean "its"
Old 03-09-2015, 04:49 PM   #33
venturaII
Only users lose drugs.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by venturaII

Quote:
it is origins?

Quote:
just poking fun of your use of "it's" when you mean "its"

Whoops - missed that, both times...lol
The Following User Says Thank You to venturaII For This Useful Post:
Koa (03-09-2015)
Old 03-09-2015, 04:53 PM   #34
Koa
Sweeper

Garage
sorry for trolling this earlier.. J series V6 definitely would be unique, but the K series honda engines are just soooooo godly. Rev-happy 100hp per cyliner, reliably on stock internals, with a proper setup FI... what more could one ask for?

It's no wonder why members here will recommend them over this build. Will be keeping my eyes out for a J series if anyone does it, though. I love engine swaps and am all about individualism/hacking/expressing oneself to be different.

Call me ignorant here, but I just don't like Honda. I don't like what the fast and furious turned the brand into (not Honda's direct fault, of course). Except their motorcycle unit. If I didn't get my R6 for $2000 and a backbreaking day of labour, I would have held out for a CBR.
Old 03-09-2015, 05:06 PM   #35
venturaII
Only users lose drugs.

Quote:
sorry for trolling this earlier.. J series V6 definitely would be unique, but the K series honda engines are just soooooo godly. Rev-happy 100hp per cyliner, reliably on stock internals, with a proper setup FI... what more could one ask for?

It's no wonder why members here will recommend them over this build. Will be keeping my eyes out for a J series if anyone does it, though. I love engine swaps and am all about individualism/hacking/expressing oneself to be different.

Call me ignorant here, but I just don't like Honda. I don't like what the fast and furious turned the brand into (not Honda's direct fault, of course). Except their motorcycle unit. If I didn't get my R6 for $2000 and a backbreaking day of labour, I would have held out for a CBR.

Fair enough. Personally, nothing beats the sound of a well tuned 60 degree V6, and there is plenty of aftermarket available to turn the J series into a real screamer, if so inclined. I grew up working on Capri-based Ford Colognes and Alfa V6s (as well as lots of other Euro oddballs...), so I have a soft spot for that sound. Displacement of the Honda motor is a nice compromise between I4 screamer and LSx, and the ample torque reflects this. But I'm not trying to compare it to an LSx - I think the 275-300 bhp/250 ft-lb range would be perfect for our transmissions to live behind and not be blowing them and axles up all the time. There's plenty of potential in the motor to go well up into the 350+ range when you add cams and head work, etc, but then you're opening a new can of worms to deal with at that point. Simple bolt-ons and a tune would be more than enough to put it on par with a supercharged FA20, and have 3x the reliability. Plus you'd have a nice sound and less weight than a F/I FA20.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to venturaII For This Useful Post:
civicdrivr (03-10-2015), Koa (03-09-2015)
Old 03-09-2015, 05:48 PM   #36
tahdizzle
So elite I'm 1338

Drives: WRB Subaru BRZ
Thanked 1,934 Times in 982 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Garage
That swap is just a bad idea :P
Old 03-09-2015, 05:51 PM   #37
venturaII
Only users lose drugs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahdizzle View Post

Then I highly recommend you don't try it.
The Following User Says Thank You to venturaII For This Useful Post:
civicdrivr (03-10-2015)
Old 03-09-2015, 06:33 PM   #38
swarb

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,271 Posts
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
do you have any official weights? They could have just removed 40lbs of a/c.
Old 03-09-2015, 08:31 PM   #39
venturaII
Only users lose drugs.

Grassroots Motorsports lists the converted NA Miata they tested as 40 pounds heavier than the factory setup. Given the conversion includes subframe, adapter plate, a custom steel oil pan and a few other items in addition to the motor itself, it's a fair guess to assume the J series motor is not much heavier than the OEM Miata motor, and certainly no heavier than the FA20 lump. I'm sure they removed the A/C from the donor motor before it went into the Miata since it came out of vehicles that aren't available without A/C, but whether the Miata had A/C to begin with is unknown. The manufacturers statement is also that the conversion adds 40 pounds to the front axle.
Old 03-09-2015, 09:44 PM   #40
NOHOME

Drives: RAVEN
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahdizzle View Post

All swaps are a bad idea. But so is bedding bat-shit crazy hot chicks, Driving sports-cars way over your head on a track and jumping out of airplanes.

So fucking what? It's got to be done.
The Following User Says Thank You to NOHOME For This Useful Post:
civicdrivr (03-10-2015)
Old 03-09-2015, 11:06 PM   #41
Ashikabi

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 4,542 Times in 2,947 Posts
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Swaps "can" be a good idea if executed properly. Can the FA20 match a stock J with a few mods and e85? Yeah... but what about those same mods on the J? Lots of people hate Honda and hate swaps for no reason but the truth is, Honda makes damn good engines and the power potential of a J easily eclipses the FA20s... but it'll be a lot of work. I found an article where some folks in New Zealand stuck 2 i4 motorcycle engines together to make a v8 with a 12k(i think) red line. You can buy this swap. It isn't cost effective or easy, but it's cool and unique and fast. That's what it's all about right? If you want it to be easy, get a rustang and add boost. Otherwise, swap or boost, or both to make your vision a reality. Stay classy.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashikabi For This Useful Post:
civicdrivr (03-10-2015)
Old 03-10-2015, 12:08 AM   #42
Poodles

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Grassroots Motorsports lists the converted NA Miata they tested as 40 pounds heavier than the factory setup. Given the conversion includes subframe, adapter plate, a custom steel oil pan and a few other items in addition to the motor itself, it's a fair guess to assume the J series motor is not much heavier than the OEM Miata motor, and certainly no heavier than the FA20 lump. I'm sure they removed the A/C from the donor motor before it went into the Miata since it came out of vehicles that aren't available without A/C, but whether the Miata had A/C to begin with is unknown. The manufacturers statement is also that the conversion adds 40 pounds to the front axle.

NA Miata motors are quite heavy (cast iron block with aluminum head), so I'm betting the FA20 is far lighter.

Regardless, V6's in general suck (not going to get into the design reasons, but they're ONLY good for packaging)

Closed Thread