follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 08-29-2011, 06:16 PM   #29
Giccin
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Drives: Yaris HBK, Audi 09' TTS<Had>
Thanked 1,899 Times in 966 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clode View Post
BC has published an article with the latest scoop on the FT-86 / BRZ. According to a summary that I was provided with, Toyota is planning to fit an 1.6-liter turbocharged engine one year after the initial introduction of the model. Now, what seems rather strange to me is the fact that BC claims that the turbocharged engine will be fitted in the G's / STi versions, while the "normal" versions will be powered by the naturally aspired 2.0-liter engine.

In any case, the article also mentions that the new turbo engine will be fitted in the new Subaru Impreza WRX STi as well, producing 270ps. BC also claims that the differences between the FT-86 and the BRZ (or whatever the official name will be) will be on the front and rear ends.

Can you send me a larger picture or attach a larger picture? Or... the issue number. Lol I'll go out and get it or someone on here could translate.

Logic > Emotion
┬──┬◡ノ(° -°ノ)
Yashio Factory Pink adds +10HP to anything.
TOYOTA FT-86
Giccin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 06:18 PM   #30
Type[R]+

Drives: Lexus IS-F
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by madfast View Post
DI is better, but it doesnt defy the laws of physics. 1.6L is too little for a performance car.
Lawl!

Not too small. Nissan was planning to use a 1.6T in the S16. Honda's B16A/B's are animals with a turbo strapped on them. WRC is 1.6T. Formula one going to 1.6L next season.

How much more performance do you want?
Type[R]+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 06:36 PM   #31
FutureFT86

Drives: 13 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I hope Scion/Toyota looks at these forums.

I would hate to buy an ft86 when it comes out only to have a turbo version come out a year later. Im ready to get the best model on release!!!
FutureFT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 06:38 PM   #32
Type[R]+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allch Chcar View Post
Turbos. The replacement for cubic displacement.
Old 08-29-2011, 07:06 PM   #33
blur
ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

Drives: E36 5.7 V8
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
270hp turbo 1.6l FT86? sign me up.
Old 08-29-2011, 07:16 PM   #34
ryun84

Drives: 04 PSM WRX Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allch Chcar View Post
Saw this car in person at Autoclub Speedway during S2K Challenge. There was some Honda event that day as well. I don't think it went out on the track (at least I didn't see it go out), and I was there the whole day. It just sat there looking pretty for people to check out the nutrition facts and take pictures.
ryun84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 07:18 PM   #35
MiguelAE86

Drives: NB Miata
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blur View Post
270hp turbo 1.6l FT86? sign me up.
Imagine the Rev-Range of that puppy!
MiguelAE86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 07:18 PM   #36
SUB-FT86
86 Member

Drives: 2013 Toyota 86 2.0T (Asphalt)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
DI is better, but it doesnt defy the laws of physics. 1.6L is too little for a performance car.

maybe with the impending CAFE laws, etc. our standards for performance are slowly going south...
You own a 2.0l turbo sedan with 3,500+ lbs of weight. What is wrong with a 2700+ lb coupe with a 1.6l turbo? That's 800 lbs less.
SUB-FT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 07:37 PM   #37
madfast

Drives: 2010 Evo X MR-T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Type[R]+ View Post
Lawl!

Not too small. Nissan was planning to use a 1.6T in the S16. Honda's B16A/B's are animals with a turbo strapped on them. WRC is 1.6T. Formula one going to 1.6L next season.

How much more performance do you want?
again... WRC and F1 have NOTHING in common with streetcars... yes some of the tech can be trickled down but most of it is simply not practical on a street driven production car. WRC has anti-lag. no production car on earth would ever come with that system and have a warranty. the 80's F1 cars had a 12000 rpm redline. you think a production car is gonna have 12000 rpm redline?

slapping a turbo on a 1.6L engine cures NOTHING. you either have no lag and make moderate power or you have tons of lag and make crazy power. in the middle you have a compromise that doesnt spool fast enough, and doesnt make enough power. it's lose-lose.

and for clarification we're strictly talking about a car like the WRX/STi here. if you want to talk about something like the next gen miata or a 2200 lbs sportscar then yes a 1.6L turbo would rock. otherwise 1.6L is just too small...
madfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 07:57 PM   #38
madfast

Drives: 2010 Evo X MR-T
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUB-FT86 View Post
You own a 2.0l turbo sedan with 3,500+ lbs of weight. What is wrong with a 2700+ lb coupe with a 1.6l turbo? That's 800 lbs less.
what's "wrong" with it is the shape of the torque curve. it's either going to peak early and fall off rather rapidly, or it's going to be nonexistent and then shoot up exponentially. both scenarios are not to my liking.

instead, my ideal engine would be a supercharged 2.0L. with the correct engine geometry paired with the newer highly efficient blowers, the power and tq of such a motor would be the happy medium.

its about the SHAPE of the curve, not the peak numbers. its about the area under the curve. its about the real world rpm range, while still having plenty of revs for track days and auto-x. its about torque where you can actually use it on the street. its about how it feels to drive, not the dyno numbers.
madfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 08:08 PM   #39
Spiritama
Squirrels

Drives: Red Toyota Celica
Thumbs up

Quote:
what's "wrong" with it is the shape of the torque curve. it's either going to peak early and fall off rather rapidly, or it's going to be nonexistent and then shoot up exponentially. both scenarios are not to my liking.

instead, my ideal engine would be a supercharged 2.0L. with the correct engine geometry paired with the newer highly efficient blowers, the power and tq of such a motor would be the happy medium.

its about the SHAPE of the curve, not the peak numbers. its about the area under the curve. its about the real world rpm range, while still having plenty of revs for track days and auto-x. its about torque where you can actually use it on the street. its about how it feels to drive, not the dyno numbers.
+1

Ahhh... Isn't it beautiful?
Spiritama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 08:51 PM   #40
82mm 4g63
4G63 & Rotary

Drives: 92TalonAWD, 93RX7, 11F150EcoBoost
Send a message via AIM to 82mm 4g63
I definitely give those guys two thumbs up for the CRZ project, but when it comes to daily drivers 2.0L already has quite the hill to climb. Why give yourself an even larger handicap in a car they have every intention of trying to get more power out of? It's like asking a starting quarterback int he NFL to chop off the thumb on his throwing hand, unnecessary handicap.

If I'm looking for economy then definitely give me a 1.6L or smaller, but in a performance car 2.0 is the smallest I'm going. ***

*** Unless it's a rotary.
82mm 4g63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 08:52 PM   #41
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Drives: Mk3 Supra with Semi-built 7MGTE
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Garage
WRC also has restrictors to choke the hell out of the motors so they don't get too powerful.

A 1.6L Turbo with high (for FI) compression, D4-S, properly tuned manifolds, cam phasing, and a twin entry turbine would spool very nicely even in the 270 hp range. If they got fancy with variable geometry turbines, even better.

I figure for max power of 270 hp @ 13-14 psi around 7400 rpm.

Yes it would have to scream a bit still because it's small.

Alternative is more boost and less revs.

We're probably going to see this turbo 1.6L for sure in the WRX. Whether the factory puts it in the FT86 twins, who knows?

Because titanium.
Dimman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dimman For This Useful Post:
FreshFRS (06-12-2013)
Old 08-29-2011, 09:03 PM   #42
Type[R]+

Quote:
again... WRC and F1 have NOTHING in common with streetcars... yes some of the tech can be trickled down but most of it is simply not practical on a street driven production car. WRC has anti-lag. no production car on earth would ever come with that system and have a warranty. the 80's F1 cars had a 12000 rpm redline. you think a production car is gonna have 12000 rpm redline?
Who said anything about a 12000 rpm redline? BTW, Lexus was going to do it with the LFA, but pegged it at 9500rpm.

And WRC nothing in common with street cars? Seriously?

BTW Evo 4-9 came with anti-lag. I think you guys must have missed out lol!

Quote:
slapping a turbo on a 1.6L engine cures NOTHING. you either have no lag and make moderate power or you have tons of lag and make crazy power. in the middle you have a compromise that doesnt spool fast enough, and doesnt make enough power. it's lose-lose.

You better run and tell BMW, VW, and all other european manufacturers this, because they seem to be doing it wrong by your accounts. Granted they do use supercharging as well, but you make it sound like it's impossible. It has been done, and there is more than enough cars out there on the market that says you're wrong, and a lot of them are less than 1.6L!

Quote:
and for clarification we're strictly talking about a car like the WRX/STi here. if you want to talk about something like the next gen miata or a 2200 lbs sportscar then yes a 1.6L turbo would rock. otherwise 1.6L is just too small...
Thought we were talking about the FT86?