follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 12-02-2016, 05:03 PM   #1
PetrolioBenzina

Drives: 17 86
Thanked 1,133 Times in 647 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Help a Luddite with MP3 stuff....

The audio forum is not interested in the stock unit, so that's why I posted here.

My '17 86 has the PT546-00160 (Pioneer?) head unit. My music source is a USB stick formatted to FAT32. The music itself is from CD's ripped to WAV files, then converted to MP3 using DB Poweramp. All the ID3 tags but artist and album are stripped from the files. The files on the USB stick are in artist\album order.

All I want to be able to do is to have this utter POS play ALL the music on the USB stick, not just the selected album endlessly unless I select something else. Press play, forget about it. I tried making a playlist using PlayListCreator3. The HU does not see the playlist.

Does anyone know what I am doing wrong? I have read the manual several times, with no luck. Is this junk even capable of continuous play from album to album? Is there some magic dust I don't have? Some different arrangement of files on the USB stick?

The HU my '13 FR-S could do all this, why can't this POS?
PetrolioBenzina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 05:29 PM   #2
Sarlacc
/dev/null

Drives: Uphill
Thanked 2,926 Times in 1,420 Posts
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Garage
I have a different headunit with no such problems, so these are just general thoughts.

Try a different playlist format. Either M3U or PLS usually works, but often just one of them.
If that doesn't work, instead of using folders for artists and albums, try putting all the songs in the root directory of the memory stick.
Sarlacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 05:58 PM   #3
PetrolioBenzina

Thanks. Both playlists are on the stick, I'l try one or the other. Also moving to root....

BRB..................

Added: All files in root, all visible. No playlist, does not roll over to next album. Should I use a rifle or shotgun to fix this issue?

Last edited by PetrolioBenzina; 12-02-2016 at 06:19 PM.
Old 12-02-2016, 09:48 PM   #4
Sarlacc
/dev/null

Garage
Again, shooting blind.
The playlists will not show up in the list of songs. You may have to find a menu item or something that says "playlist".

My preferred weapon in these situations is an axe. A small one for cramped places.
You just can't beat the tactile satisfaction of burying a hefty blade into some non-cooperative box of stupid electronics.
Pro tip: Have the stupid electronics powered and switched on for the full effect.

The size of the axe is important, right tool for the job and all that.

So these babies are, from left to right, suitable for:
1. Household appliances such as fridges and washing machines.
2. TVs and desktop computers.
3. Set-top boxes, laptops and headunits.
4. Microwave ovens and other high-voltage junk, note the insulating handle.
5. Remote controls, phones and other pesky pocket sized gadgets.

Hope this helps, good luck.

Last edited by Sarlacc; 12-02-2016 at 10:04 PM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sarlacc For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (12-03-2016), ToySub1946 (12-03-2016), trvth (12-09-2016), Ultramaroon (12-02-2016)
Old 12-03-2016, 12:15 AM   #5
Zhangy

Drives: 2015 FRS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
get a mp3 player
Zhangy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 12:48 AM   #6
MuseChaser
Feeling like thinking....

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 2,433 Times in 1,064 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
OK, I'm shootin' in the dark here, too, but what the heck..

I've got a '13 FR-S w/ the stock base head unit, too, and it plays back my entire flash drive without any problem, as you mentioned.

When you say that you've got your files on the drive in a particular order, that isn't really true; the files are just data scattered around the drive however your computer thought was the most effective way to save it at that time. The files and folders are indexed in a certain way and, on your computer, you can display them in various orders (by file/folder name, by date, by size, blah blah). On mine, I save the tracks from each CD in a separate folder named the same as the CD's name, then I save THAT w/in a folder named by artist. The HU in my 2013 plays all the tracks in order, artist by artist.

If your HU won't do that, have you tried putting your flash drive in your computer, then dragging all of your individual track files into one huge directory? It might make finding a particular file difficult/impossible in the future, but it'd probably accomplish your goal of non-stop playback. On the other hand, if the id3 tags for artist/track/album are still in place, your HU might STILL be able to access things by album, even though you don't have them saved that way on your drive.

Just an idea... have no idea if it'd work.

Barry
MuseChaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 12:50 AM   #7
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,284 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuseChaser View Post

I've got a '13 FR-S w/ the stock base head unit, too, and it plays back my entire flash drive without any problem, as you mentioned.

When you say that you've got your files on the drive in a particular order, that isn't really true; the files are just data scattered around the drive however your computer thought was the most effective way to save it at that time. The files and folders are indexed in a certain way and, on your computer, you can display them in various orders (by file/folder name, by date, by size, blah blah). On mine, I save the tracks from each CD in a separate folder named the same as the CD's name, then I save THAT w/in a folder named by artist. The HU in my 2013 plays all the tracks in order, artist by artist.

If your HU won't do that, have you tried putting your flash drive in your computer, then dragging all of your individual track files into one huge directory? It might make finding a particular file difficult/impossible in the future, but it'd probably accomplish your goal of non-stop playback. On the other hand, if the id3 tags for artist/track/album are still in place, your HU might STILL be able to access things by album, even though you don't have them saved that way on your drive.

Barry
He has a 17 now. That is the one that won't do it.
Old 12-03-2016, 12:57 AM   #8
MuseChaser
Feeling like thinking....

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 2,433 Times in 1,064 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
He has a 17 now. That is the one that won't do it.
I read that part.. hence my writing "shooting in the dark." I DO have mine saved in individual folders on my flash drive. If his '17 is stuck on one folder, I was hoping that putting all of his track files in one large folder would solve his problem. That was my suggestion. Sorry if I was unclear.

Barry
MuseChaser is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MuseChaser For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (12-03-2016)
Old 12-03-2016, 12:46 PM   #9
PetrolioBenzina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarlacc View Post
Again, shooting blind.
The playlists will not show up in the list of songs. You may have to find a menu item or something that says "playlist".

My preferred weapon in these situations is an axe. A small one for cramped places.
You just can't beat the tactile satisfaction of burying a hefty blade into some non-cooperative box of stupid electronics.
Pro tip: Have the stupid electronics powered and switched on for the full effect.

The size of the axe is important, right tool for the job and all that.

So these babies are, from left to right, suitable for:
1. Household appliances such as fridges and washing machines.
2. TVs and desktop computers.
3. Set-top boxes, laptops and headunits.
4. Microwave ovens and other high-voltage junk, note the insulating handle.
5. Remote controls, phones and other pesky pocket sized gadgets.
This is good for in-car use.

The Following User Says Thank You to PetrolioBenzina For This Useful Post:
Sarlacc (12-03-2016)
Old 12-03-2016, 01:01 PM   #10
PetrolioBenzina

Thanks again. I'll try all of these today.

Just to make it clear what I want to do:
1. Get in.
2. Start car.
3. Select USB as source.
4. Press play
5. Listen to music without further fat-fingered, old-eyes distracted driving. When one album finishes, go to the next you stupid POS!
Old 12-03-2016, 01:12 PM   #11
PetrolioBenzina

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuseChaser View Post

If your HU won't do that, have you tried putting your flash drive in your computer, then dragging all of your individual track files into one huge directory?

It might make finding a particular file difficult/impossible in the future, but it'd probably accomplish your goal of non-stop playback. On the other hand, if the id3 tags for artist/track/album are still in place, your HU might STILL be able to access things by album, even though you don't have them saved that way on your drive.

Barry
All files are now in the root directory, no sub folders. They have artist and album ID3 tags, so I can sort and find by artist or album. It seems it can do everything but just play music without user intervention.

There's a utillity called DriveSort that allows you to set the directory order on a USB stick. I used that and it worked like a champ in the '13 head unit. You could easily skip to the next album in the list, or jump to the top or bottom. All without having to look at the stupid thing.

I know this is a minor issue, but I just can not believe that this thing in not capable of playing anything beyond the current selection.

Thanks again for all your help.
Old 12-03-2016, 01:32 PM   #12
ls1ac

Drives: BRZ, Noble M400, AC-LS7,1956 AC
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
I gave up and put all the songs in the root.
I carry a few different USB's according to mood.
ls1ac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 04:29 PM   #13
hdbahn

Drives: '16 FR-S RS 2.0, '03 WRX,
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I have a '16 and mixed wma/mp3 USB. The only way I can play the whole drive is by selecting "Tracks" and letting it play all tracks in alphabetical order (which sucks since I've had a SONY AATRAC MEX-1HD for about ten years that (despite ripping CDs onboard one by one) plays artists and tracks in order without any file naming whatsoever). I have no clue how to make a playlist that works from my WMP library, and don't even understand what a root directory is although I like MuseChaser's description. I'm the Luddite that owns 6+ computers that I have upgraded all sorts of hardware on and use Windows and Ubuntu but files are incomprehensible to me. Also, the first couple of drives I plugged in either had too much data to finish indexing or would shut down when I hit a bump...but the very same drives now work, so maybe it was trans-Pacific corrosion that had to wear off.
hdbahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 04:41 PM   #14
Sarlacc
/dev/null

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PetrolioBenzina View Post
Thanks again. I'll try all of these today.

Just to make it clear what I want to do:
1. Get in.
2. Start car.
3. Select USB as source.
4. Press play
5. Listen to music without further fat-fingered, old-eyes distracted driving. When one album finishes, go to the next you stupid POS!
You want to do all that?

I have a USB stick with 2000 of my favorite songs, and I do this
1. Get in.
2. Start car.
3. Listen to music in random order.

I will occasionally press "forward" to skip a track, but that's it.