follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine Swaps

Engine Swaps Discussion of engine swaps.

User Tag List

Old 08-08-2016, 02:17 PM   #71
cf6mech

Drives: FRS Silver LS1 swapped.
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddy101 View Post
Hi guys,
Andrew from AGT Engineering here.
Just thought I would put in my 2c to this thread.
I developed a prototype solution a fair while ago (nearly 12 months). I do not own a FT86/BRZ and have so far relied on a couple of projects in Australia to test my first prototype units. We had the instrument clusters RPM, temp gauge, MIL and Oil pressure lights working the end of last year and the EPS functional. Unfortunately this is as far as it got as the test vehicles were still projects and were only able to be driven down the driveway and back. A couple of units were also sent to the US for testing. One went to the Vorshlag vehicle for testing, but turns out the GM ECU was an older version and didn't have the right CAN messages, so it did not work. I then added hard wired inputs to allow RPM pickup, coolant sensing, as well as the original I/O for indicator lamps to/from Canbus. A couple of these units were then resent to the testers, including the Vorshlag. The latest units have also been used for early model (pre-can) Subaru engines into late model Can based Subarus (04+ Legacy and 08+ Impreza/Wrx's) and sent across the world with great feedback. There have been no reports of spikes on gauges as previously speculated. I guess the combination of the on-board hardware and software filtering is doing its thing.

I have so far spent countless hours studying the 86 Canbus without any form of income. The units have been given to all the testers at my cost. I have found it a bit disappointing and a bit odd that some testers have gone and bagged my FREE product and writing it off BEFORE contacting me for assistance on how to connect it up or troubleshoot.

So basically I would like to say please help me to help you. If you have an 86/BRZ engine swap project that is about to be running, are technically minded and not scared to do a bit of fault finding for me, canbus logging and access to a good ABS/ECM diagnostic machine, contact me and I will see if I can give you a free (prototype) 86/BRZ Translator for testing.

Andrew.
I stand bye my statement, after 6 months of waiting I understood this was ready to go and no fault finding was necessary, I understood you were sent the exact year and model GM ECU that I have.. My situation with my particular GM ECU may be the crux of my issue with your unit where as you have had success elsewhere. I'm just sharing my results with others. I can guarantee you it was hooked up correctly. I found it odd it arrived internally set for four cylinders for a V8 conversion, I tried them both 4 cylinder first.... then 8 to no avail.......there also was no explanation for different wire color codes versus the AGT Translator manual, which was straighten out later...It could just be that mine was of a unique situation.....not bashing you or your unit,...although your not talking to me directly, and i dont pretend to be a can-bus expert but I do have 30 years of experiance in the commercial aviation industry mainly in overhaul, so Im not shy tearing into things or trouble shooting.......I have seen your videos. Continued success.

Last edited by cf6mech; 08-08-2016 at 08:11 PM.
cf6mech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 05:18 AM   #72
Doctorjobj
Banned

Drives: Man
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via ICQ to Doctorjobj
Canbus sol

Ruby has a WinAPI module that would work just fine. The best solution, of course, is to just release tables.
Doctorjobj is offline   Reply With Quote