follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 04-12-2017, 10:49 PM   #15
DAEMANO
Time Traveller

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS - Raven
Thanked 3,416 Times in 1,677 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyphen View Post
what do you mean by popped out? how do you fix it?
Scotty Kilmer shows you here.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bH98nX8fb6M"]Replacing A Broken CV Axle On Your Car - YouTube[/ame]
DAEMANO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 01:56 AM   #16
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,825 Times in 16,428 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAEMANO View Post
Lowered on dealer installed springs would still be under warranty. Or OP could swap back his OEM suspension (that'd be his call). It is up for interpretation, but in my book it's better to be safe than very sorry. Surely someone telling him to not have the leak checked out is being a tad reckless with someone else's car & money.
For cryen out loud, @DAEMANO ....... it's just barely a smudge of oil on the axle. It's not like its dripping and all the oil is going to gush out of the differential .....

@slyphen, I suggest you just keep an eye on it and if it gets worse, have the seal replaced.

If you do it yourself (see the video) there is a chance that you will mess up and make things worse.

If you take it to a dealer, there is a good chance they will give you a bunch of grief about your car being lowered.

Keep in mind that this advice is coming from ol humfrz ....... who back in the day bought his daughter a junk 1978 Toyota Celica to drive. I made her park in the gravel beside the driveway because it had a bad oil leak at the front of the engine. Did I fix it .. ?? Noooo, ...... it was easier and cheaper just to put a quart of cheap oil in it every week.

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 05:43 AM   #17
DAEMANO
Time Traveller

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
For cryen out loud, @DAEMANO ....... it's just barely a smudge of oil on the axle. It's not like its dripping and all the oil is going to gush out of the differential .....

humfrz
I had a similar looking thing. A couple of days later the seal failed (coincidentally, the night before taking it into the shop to get it looked at by a pro.) It ended up costing me a ring and pinion, seals plus labor. Care to lookup the cost of that? No need, it was $1450.00.

Last edited by DAEMANO; 04-13-2017 at 06:06 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DAEMANO For This Useful Post:
humfrz (04-13-2017), Surok (02-06-2018)
Old 04-13-2017, 10:29 AM   #18
e1_griego

Drives: Many
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
I picked up a diff on craiglist for $500 with a spare pair of axles included :shrug:
e1_griego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 01:39 PM   #19
DAEMANO
Time Traveller

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by e1_griego View Post
I picked up a diff on craiglist for $500 with a spare pair of axles included :shrug:
New parts vs. used parts I assume.
Old 02-27-2018, 08:24 PM   #20
slyphen

Drives: Man
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Send a message via AIM to slyphen Send a message via Yahoo to slyphen
Quote:

@slyphen, I suggest you just keep an eye on it and if it gets worse, have the seal replaced.

If you do it yourself (see the video) there is a chance that you will mess up and make things worse.

If you take it to a dealer, there is a good chance they will give you a bunch of grief about your car being lowered.

Keep in mind that this advice is coming from ol humfrz ....... who back in the day bought his daughter a junk 1978 Toyota Celica to drive. I made her park in the gravel beside the driveway because it had a bad oil leak at the front of the engine. Did I fix it .. ?? Noooo, ...... it was easier and cheaper just to put a quart of cheap oil in it every week.

humfrz
HA! the damn thing finally failed. left me stranded 90 miles south of tacoma in bumblefuck nowhere. Wasn't even driving hard at the time, just cruising at 45mph and bam, no power to the rear wheel.

slyphen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to slyphen For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (02-28-2018)
Old 02-27-2018, 09:49 PM   #21
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,825 Times in 16,428 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Quote:
HA! the damn thing finally failed. left me stranded 90 miles south of tacoma in bumblefuck nowhere. Wasn't even driving hard at the time, just cruising at 45mph and bam, no power to the rear wheel.......
Well, that's a shame.

Bumblefuck, WA ...... oh ya, down around Yacolt ......

You're lucky you got a tow truck to go out there to pick up your car ....... them folks down there are inbred and they don't much like strangers.

Well, lesson learned ....... don't pay no nevermind to some old coot on a car forum .......

I hope you get it fixed up soon.

humfrz
Attached Images

humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 01:25 AM   #22
DAEMANO
Time Traveller

Garage
Quote:
HA! the damn thing finally failed. left me stranded 90 miles south of tacoma in bumblefuck nowhere. Wasn't even driving hard at the time, just cruising at 45mph and bam, no power to the rear wheel.

...pics of a hosed CV axle
Boy does that look familiar. Sorry it went... but, knew it would. I'm sure your diff/ring & pinion are a-ok if it wasn't an incredibly violent snap. Get a used axle, and make sure your car isn't lowered more than an inch.
Old 02-28-2018, 01:48 AM   #23
thatfilipinoguy

Drives: 87 Supra, 13 FRS, 05 FXT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I have DSS axles that popped out because the snap ring allowed it to move while driving. I bought new seals, serviced the diff, adjusted the snap ring and put it all back together. It held up well but is starting to do it again...I am going to have to look into raising the diff. Raising the diff will most likely help your situation.
thatfilipinoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thatfilipinoguy For This Useful Post:
Surok (03-01-2018)
Old 02-28-2018, 11:41 PM   #24
slyphen

Garage
Quote:
Well, that's a shame.

Bumblefuck, WA ...... oh ya, down around Yacolt ......

You're lucky you got a tow truck to go out there to pick up your car ....... them folks down there are inbred and they don't much like strangers.

Well, lesson learned ....... don't pay no nevermind to some old coot on a car forum .......

I hope you get it fixed up soon.

humfrz
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAEMANO View Post
Boy does that look familiar. Sorry it went... but, knew it would. I'm sure your diff/ring & pinion are a-ok if it wasn't an incredibly violent snap. Get a used axle, and make sure your car isn't lowered more than an inch.
All fixed. my race buddy was willing to drive 1.5hrs with a trailer to pick me up. It was a sunday so most shops were closed. my buddy Jason Merritt owns a shop (In-Tune Automotive) in Tacoma and he let us drop the car off there. found a part out on cragislist with 17k miles, bought both axles for $200 and replaced both. Now i have a spare(might not be in best shape) axle, just in case next time it happens at a race.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to slyphen For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (03-01-2018), humfrz (02-28-2018)
Old 02-28-2018, 11:43 PM   #25
slyphen

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatfilipinoguy View Post
I have DSS axles that popped out because the snap ring allowed it to move while driving. I bought new seals, serviced the diff, adjusted the snap ring and put it all back together. It held up well but is starting to do it again...I am going to have to look into raising the diff. Raising the diff will most likely help your situation.
my car was lower than i was comfortable with in the rear for about a year, i've since raised it by about 1/2", now the suspension geometry is much better, but i think the damage was down when i was too low.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to slyphen For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (03-01-2018), thatfilipinoguy (03-01-2018)
Old 03-01-2018, 12:24 AM   #26
thatfilipinoguy

Drives: 87 Supra, 13 FRS, 05 FXT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
my car was lower than i was comfortable with in the rear for about a year, i've since raised it by about 1/2", now the suspension geometry is much better, but i think the damage was down when i was too low.
I only have the eibach pro-kit, and that is enough for the axle to keep popping out. =[
thatfilipinoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 02:58 AM   #27
FirstWinter

Drives: Car
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
How low were you before?
FirstWinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 03:25 AM   #28
Surok
Wise old man

Drives: 86 GTS
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatfilipinoguy View Post
Take photos of the axle and send it to DSS. they replaced mine. i put a new axle in and its fine now.
Surok is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Surok For This Useful Post:
thatfilipinoguy (03-02-2018)