follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List
orthojoe

Old 05-02-2013, 07:21 PM   #141
xwd

Drives: 2013 DGM Subaru BRZ (Subie #9)
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
The 370Z guys seem to have a lot of issues with ice mode, and most think it's due to their "Brake Assist" function which adds additional pressure during panic braking, same as our cars. Whatever it does seems to cause the ABS to kick in which reduces your braking to about 30%. Using grippier tires and more agressive brake pads just makes the problem worse. The other consistent issue is stabbing at the brakes versus more progressive braking. I think having any throttle input while braking probably causes something to freak out these days as well, due to logic added after the whole Toyota throttle sticking fiasco.

Almost all modern cars seem to have issues with this. 370Zs, Miatas, Corvettes, Mustangs, etc. and some get it and some don't so it's definitely tied to driver behavior in some ways as well.

I just added some gripper front pads we'll see how things work at our next event.
xwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 03:53 PM   #142
mad_sb

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby South View Post
I think its the combination of Gas and Brake confusing the system...
If this is the case then why does heel toe not cause an issue? Perhapse the steering angle or yaw sensor (i assume this car has one) is involved in the logic.

On track (with 225/45 AD08's in sunny 70 degree weather) i have not experienced ice mode and i have never done the pedal dance, just the 5 second disable. I have seen flashing slip indicator under braking at AMP, especially after hitting the gators at 3 then immediately breaking for 4. (EDIT: now that i think about it, i was trailing into 4, but i think the light was comming on before turn in.. i need a go pro) I do not left foot brake, and i do tend to smoothly ramp up the pedal pressure rather than jabbing.

At a drift event I experienced all kinds of weirdness with the 5 second off mode and I do think i experienced ice mode. I tried the pedal dance before one session but i don't think the car was warm enough.

I think i will pull the abs fuse at the next drift event and see how that goes.

Stabbing the pedal is what the ECU considers to be a panic braking maneuver.. that is just the sort of thing you do when you panic brake... lifes good, the world is a happy place, puppies make me smile, ohh ssssshhhhhiiiiiiittttttttttttttttttt im going to die..... push the pedal through the floor as hard as you can. So certainly stabbing the pedal will trigger panic mode and the brakes will probably go full on until the car comes to a stop.
Old 08-27-2013, 02:32 AM   #143
Godzilla35

Drives: Nissan GT-R
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I need to re-read this thread but I went to Balcony this weekend for a beginner drift day and I did the pedal dance for 90% of the time. I noticed when I spun out and started rolling backwards and got on the brakes to slow my roll... it pulsed the brakes and the pedal felt really rocky / spongy / ineffective. Is that ABS kicking in? It was similar to the sensation of TC kicking in when it's fully on.

I just want to know if I'm wasting my time doing this pedal dance and the 3-second hold off is what I need to do. Because it was kind of annoying to do it every time it was time for my session. Also, once in awhile my ABS light and a few other warning lights would come on.

This happened to me at DDA1 as well, but it was while doing the 3-second hold only (didn't know about the pedal dance at the time).

Either way, it would be awesome if either one could be a single push or default off without splicing wires.
Godzilla35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 02:53 AM   #144
Godzilla35

Okay, so I re-read the entire thread. So my situation was I did the pedal dance. I was learning donuts / figure 8's... Of course I spun out a few times, and I'm a newbie. So before the car dies, I push the clutch in and put it in neutral while I'm trying to brake. Most of the time I was going straight back just from left over momentum. So I gently, but consistently get on the brakes and it just mushes down and vibrates / grinds.

So does this mean I need to stab the brakes harder? Not do the pedal dance? It was kind of making me feel uneasy as I progressed to get wider turns / closer to the wall and cones through the night.
Old 08-27-2013, 11:31 AM   #145
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,166 Times in 6,828 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla35 View Post
I need to re-read this thread but I went to Balcony this weekend for a beginner drift day and I did the pedal dance for 90% of the time. I noticed when I spun out and started rolling backwards and got on the brakes to slow my roll... it pulsed the brakes and the pedal felt really rocky / spongy / ineffective. Is that ABS kicking in? It was similar to the sensation of TC kicking in when it's fully on.

I just want to know if I'm wasting my time doing this pedal dance and the 3-second hold off is what I need to do. Because it was kind of annoying to do it every time it was time for my session. Also, once in awhile my ABS light and a few other warning lights would come on.

This happened to me at DDA1 as well, but it was while doing the 3-second hold only (didn't know about the pedal dance at the time).

Either way, it would be awesome if either one could be a single push or default off without splicing wires.
If you spin out and get lights, you need to turn off the car COMPLETELY, and then turn it back on to reset. Otherwise the car will likely be in limp mode, and not have ABS, not have full braking, act funny, etc.

This is pretty typical for any car.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
Godzilla35 (08-31-2013)
Old 08-31-2013, 05:13 AM   #146
Godzilla35

do I need to re-do the pedal dance though? I did that and found that sometimes both lights were still on....?
Old 09-04-2013, 11:20 AM   #147
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla35 View Post
do I need to re-do the pedal dance though? I did that and found that sometimes both lights were still on....?
You need to re-do the pedal dance every time you turn the car on.
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
Godzilla35 (09-04-2013)
Old 10-24-2013, 02:59 PM   #148
ML

Drives: 13 White MT FR-S
Thanked 1,119 Times in 516 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Garage
What if you just unhook your ABS sensor temporarily? Maybe put a switch on it? When I busted mine traction control was permanently off as well as all braking aids seemed disabled, and cruise.

Build Thread https://www.instagram.com/mount_tele_lion/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Symbiont View Post
I swear I will punch your car if you put these on. Right in the face.
ML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 03:30 PM   #149
SubiePig

Drives: -'02 PSM WRX, '94 Miata, '13 BRZ
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
I had trail braking issues during autocross runs with the pedal dance method(ice mode, pedal vibration). When I just hit the button these issues went almost completely away(mainly ABS feeling in hard braking with any amount of steering input). I did back to back runs with both to test this. I won't be using the pedal dance method anymore. As far and the traction control still being on with the button pushed, I haven't noticed the car actually do anything, saw the light flash once but I didn't feel anything as a result of it.

This only started occurring once the car got some grippy tires. On crap street tires I didn't have any issues.

Sponsered by:Chasebays/Corr Performance Tuning/KartBoy/Bad Panda Motorsports/Racer-X Fabrication
STX Build thread 14th/67 SCCA Nationals (2014)
SubiePig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 02:08 AM   #150
Element Tuning

Drives: Hydra EMS Powered FRS Raven Black
Thanked 1,021 Times in 365 Posts
Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLuveKetchup View Post
I got ice mode this past weekend on a 100% stock BRZ. No steering input, applied the brakes in a straight line. I LFB & very aggressive on the brakes. Might be due to some overlap between brakes & throttle?
Part of the problem on the factory ecu is that it's slow to respond to throttle pedal input, especially at throttle lift off. I personally have issues with and oem ecus as I transition extremely fast from throttle to brake and because I'm on the brake before the throttle shuts, there is no vacuum assist from the brake booster and you get a rock hard pedal initially.

Left foot braking would only make this worse since you probably have more overlap.

Thanks,
Phil Grabow
Element Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Element Tuning For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (10-28-2013), G_Ride (11-01-2013)
Old 11-01-2013, 09:10 AM   #151
DougW

Drives: FR-S stock for now
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Element Tuning View Post
Part of the problem on the factory ecu is that it's slow to respond to throttle pedal input, especially at throttle lift off. I personally have issues with and oem ecus as I transition extremely fast from throttle to brake and because I'm on the brake before the throttle shuts, there is no vacuum assist from the brake booster and you get a rock hard pedal initially.

Left foot braking would only make this worse since you probably have more overlap.

Thanks,
Phil Grabow
Is the problem in the ecu or abs controller? can it be easily duplicated?
Thanks
DougW
DougW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 09:40 AM   #152
Element Tuning

Drives: Hydra EMS Powered FRS Raven Black
Thanked 1,021 Times in 365 Posts
Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougW View Post
Is the problem in the ecu or abs controller? can it be easily duplicated?
Thanks
DougW
It's a factory ecu problem but its not something you can tune out. I would think this would be much more of an issue for the boosted guys vs. the NA cars however.

No it's not easily duplicated unless you left foot brake with overlap since most people aren't fast enough with their feet right foot braking. So if you're not experiencing it, don't even worry
Element Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 11:00 AM   #153
DougW

Drives: FR-S stock for now
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
It's a factory ecu problem but its not something you can tune out. I would think this would be much more of an issue for the boosted guys vs. the NA cars however.

No it's not easily duplicated unless you left foot brake with overlap since most people aren't fast enough with their feet right foot braking. So if you're not experiencing it, don't even worry
Well as an old school left foot braker that's trying to get back into it, I don't need the car trying to out think the driver. If it's the engine ecu getting a bad message from the abs ecu I might can trap and block the CAN message to prevent this but I have to be able to repeat it to trap the CAN Ids involved.
DougW
DougW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 11:17 AM   #154
CSG Mike

Quote:

Can you share some telemetry of just the brake and gas pedal inputs, that demonstrate ice mode?

I rarely left foot brake (something I need to work on), so I've never experienced this...