follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota 86 / Scion FR-S / Subaru BRZ Forum - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 02-14-2020, 05:06 PM   #85
Tcoat
He who smelt it...

Drives: 14 FRS Hot Lava
Thanked 84,650 Times in 37,813 Posts
Mentioned: 2159 Post(s)
Tagged: 49 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by userjack6880 View Post
I mean, you also have the EV-1, which I believe nobody actually bought. Just paid to use for a little while before GM decided nobody should have one.
They were a lease only vehicle though so they don't count. The whole car was more an experiment than an actual long term proposition.
soundman98 (02-14-2020)
Old 02-14-2020, 05:08 PM   #86
AnalogMan

Drives: 2019 BRZ Limited 6 speed
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nextcar View Post
Perhaps... but then again, what exactly does Toyota lose by cannibalizing the low end of the Supra? It seems like the real loser would be BMW, since they bear the brunt of both manufacturing and engineering for the Supra.

IMHO Toyota doesn't really care if BMW recoups its costs or not, and in this type of arrangement there is typically not a lot of profit for the company that rebrands another company's product in the low end cars anyway. BMW is not selling this car to Toyota at cost...

If the next generation truly is based on Toyota's TNA then they might actually make more money on a highly optioned GR86 than a base Supra.

Pure speculation on my part...
I have no idea what Toyota's profit margins are on the Supra and 86, but I would bet they're significantly higher on a $50,000 car than a $30,000 one. Even if the profit percentages are similar for both (since they're each bought from someone else, BMW and Subaru respectively), there's an element of the fixed cost to build the car. Such as, it might cost $20,000 to build a $30,000 car, and perhaps $30,000 to build a $50,000 car. So from a purely financial perspective, they probably make a lot more on each Supra sold than an 86.

So, just like Porsche with the 911 and Cayman, Toyota won't want to risk losing a Supra sale to an 86 if buyers see them as too close. Toyota is a completely financially driven company, and will always do whatever makes them the most money.

As an aside, way back in 1990 I interviewed for a job in new product planning with Toyota (in California). Everyone I met with proudly pointed out to me that they were not car enthusiasts, they were strictly business people. They told me about the decision-making process, how there was a 'right way', a 'wrong way', and the 'Toyota way' of doing things, and everyone there must always do things the Toyota way, which meant strictly according to objective financial metrics.

I didn't get the job. The reason they gave me was they were concerned that I was 'too much of a gear head', and that I would let passion and emotion get in the way of making strictly financially-based decisions the Toyota way. Imagine that, a car company not wanting to hire someone because they liked cars too much.

This approach clearly works for Toyota, as they are the largest and arguably most successful car company in the world. But it doesn't always result in the kind of cars enthusiasts want.
AnalogMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 05:20 PM   #87
Tcoat
He who smelt it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalogMan View Post
I have no idea what Toyota's profit margins are on the Supra and 86, but I would bet they're significantly higher on a $50,000 car than a $30,000 one. Even if the profit percentages are similar for both (since they're each bought from someone else, BMW and Subaru respectively), there's an element of the fixed cost to build the car. Such as, it might cost $20,000 to build a $30,000 car, and perhaps $30,000 to build a $50,000 car. So from a purely financial perspective, they probably make a lot more on each Supra sold than an 86.

So, just like Porsche with the 911 and Cayman, Toyota won't want to risk losing a Supra sale to an 86 if buyers see them as too close. Toyota is a completely financially driven company, and will always do whatever makes them the most money.

As an aside, way back in 1990 I interviewed for a job in new product planning with Toyota (in California). Everyone I met with proudly pointed out to me that they were not car enthusiasts, they were strictly business people. They told me about the decision-making process, how there was a 'right way', a 'wrong way', and the 'Toyota way' of doing things, and everyone there must always do things the Toyota way, which meant strictly according to objective financial metrics.

I didn't get the job. The reason they gave me was they were concerned that I was 'too much of a gear head', and that I would let passion and emotion get in the way of making strictly financially-based decisions the Toyota way. Imagine that, a car company not wanting to hire someone because they liked cars too much.

This approach clearly works for Toyota, as they are the largest and arguably most successful car company in the world. But it doesn't always result in the kind of cars enthusiasts want.
The average profit margin on new cars is 1-2% regardless of sale price. The companies make so much money through volume not margin.
I doubt that either of these models even make the 1% mark. They are not intended to be profit makers. Never were. Their value is in the attention they bring to the brand.
why? (02-15-2020)
Old 02-14-2020, 05:42 PM   #88
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 2,299 Times in 1,172 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
They were a lease only vehicle though so they don't count. The whole car was more an experiment than an actual long term proposition.
Here is a shell for sale. Wonder how many survived?

https://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?f...tofT1YaqHf-LWU
Old 02-14-2020, 06:51 PM   #89
Tcoat
He who smelt it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post

I know there was one said to be in a garage in Atlanta someplace. Saw it in a Youtube about abandoned tech at some point.

Edit: That was easy https://www.hagerty.com/articles-vid...parking-garage
NoHaveMSG (02-14-2020)
Old 02-14-2020, 06:53 PM   #90
Spuds
The Devil Incarnate

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 3,607 Times in 2,075 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapphireho View Post
I got an email from Toyota trying to sell me one.
I got the same one.
Spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 09:23 PM   #91
soundman98
Boost is Whack. N/A4LYFE

Drives: '14 brz limited
Thanked 3,196 Times in 1,756 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
I know there was one said to be in a garage in Atlanta someplace. Saw it in a Youtube about abandoned tech at some point.

Edit: That was easy https://www.hagerty.com/articles-vid...parking-garage
some of the articles on that say it's at the university parking garage. a bunch of the ev1's were donated to universities for further education, to be scrapped once the universities were done with them though.

hidplanet build log
soundman98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 09:26 PM   #92
Tcoat
He who smelt it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
some of the articles on that say it's at the university parking garage. a bunch of the ev1's were donated to universities for further education, to be scrapped once the universities were done with them though.
Ya it said 40 in that one. Bet there are at least a couple more hidden away. It also said that the batteries and motors had been stripped out of all of them so not sure what value they even had for the schools.
soundman98 (02-14-2020)
Old 02-14-2020, 09:34 PM   #93
soundman98
Boost is Whack. N/A4LYFE

Quote:
Ya it said 40 in that one. Bet there are at least a couple more hidden away. It also said that the batteries and motors had been stripped out of all of them so not sure what value they even had for the schools.
i vaguely recall that as well. but even with the batteries and motors, almost none of the tech is applicable in any scenario. the only way it makes sense is that it was done for a tax write-off.

hidplanet build log
The Following User Says Thank You to soundman98 For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (02-14-2020)
Old 02-15-2020, 12:23 PM   #94
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: "Olivia" my Firestorm 6AT FR-S
Thanked 13,548 Times in 6,585 Posts
Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
I've seen one in Atlanta on the road about 5 years ago. Unfortunately didn't snap a photo so no proof.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (02-15-2020)
Old 02-15-2020, 11:26 PM   #95
spike021

Drives: '17 Limited BRZ CWP w/ PP
Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,291 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Just saw the 2021 in the Blue color at Osaka Automesse. It’s an incredibly beautiful color. Similar to hyper blue but deeper, a bit darker I think, and metallic.

Tbh if I didn’t have a car already I’d totally consider it.
It sounds to me like the delicate, metallic sounds of piston skirts slapping against the cylinder walls
spike021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 12:31 AM   #96
soundman98
Boost is Whack. N/A4LYFE

i can't get over how ugly steel-formed ducktail looks. if they had just flattened the back, it'd be a beautiful rear end...

hidplanet build log
Old 02-16-2020, 06:00 PM   #97
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Drives: Stuff
Thanked 5,264 Times in 2,387 Posts
Mentioned: 215 Post(s)
Tagged: 8 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post

Several, despite GMs best efforts.

Oddly, there was a crazy crimewave right before leases ended of EV-1 theft.. most of those are sitting in museums now.
HPDE/DD: 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE || HPDE/DD: 2015 Subaru BRZ ||Tow Vehicle: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 8.1L || Weekend toy: 1994 MR2 Turbo || The other weekend toy: 1993 MR2 Turbo || Track car: 1998 Integra Type-R || Race car: 1996 Integra GS-R || New race car build: 1992 Honda Civic Hatchback || Oh yeah and a 2013 Scion FR-S too..

Too many cars.. never.
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave-ROR For This Useful Post:
NoHaveMSG (02-16-2020), soundman98 (02-16-2020)
Old 02-17-2020, 07:50 PM   #98
Red-86

Drives: Toyota 86 GT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
I fear the 2.0 Supra will be too expensive for the relative performance, especially next to competitors. 255HP is a very conservative tune, that B48 makes over 300HP stock in the new Mini JCW range. They should turn up the wick and stop playing pattycakes.
Red-86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Red-86 For This Useful Post:
BA9092 (02-17-2020)