follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > FR-S & 86 Photos, Videos, Wallpapers, Gallery Forum

FR-S & 86 Photos, Videos, Wallpapers, Gallery Forum All photos, videos and other media related to the Scion FR-S and Toyota 86

User Tag List

Old 12-17-2012, 02:48 PM   #15
Turbowned

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Perf Pack 6MT
Thanked 1,945 Times in 1,150 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
That video was lame. They didn't even specify what was really done to the modified car. And I'm sure he wasn't sliding the stock FR-S around during the timed laps, but it sure looked like he was the way they filmed it!

Current: 2005 Porsche 911 Carrera S 6MT
Previous: 2 BRZ's, 997 C2S, C5 RS6, C4 S6, B8 S4, GDB STi, S30 240Z, FC3S RX-7 TII, AW11/SW20 MR2, E30 318is/325i, etc.
Turbowned is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Turbowned For This Useful Post:
davesrave (12-17-2012)
Old 12-17-2012, 03:20 PM   #16
lazyluka

Drives: GT86
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Referring to the stock car on stock tyres:
"You have to make alot of corrections mid corner to go as fast as possible"

That just tells me the guy can't drive fast. If you have to correct a car in a corner when going fast that means you aren't being smooth enough. Adding more grip will not fix your inability to drive.

This is what I like about the stock car, it teaches you how to drive fast without relying on high grip + high power to correct your mistakes.

He also seems to be using the completely wrong type of shoe for driving. They look very big and heavy with a thick sole.
lazyluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 03:38 PM   #17
Jedi1
STX build in progress!

Drives: Whiteout FRS. Just Gorgeous!
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
In the course of a minute thirty second lap, better tires ALONE are worth one to three seconds over the stock Primacys. That vid was absolutely useless.
Jedi1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jedi1 For This Useful Post:
racecaresuaceb (12-18-2012)
Old 12-17-2012, 04:01 PM   #18
Frostyman

Drives: 2013 Raven FRS
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
I drive barefoot. Heel-toe is really easy that way.
Frostyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 04:51 PM   #19
n2oinferno
Praise Helix!

Drives: Accord 2.0T, Silverado
Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,072 Posts
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I have a feeling the video says something negative, after seeing the reactions in this thread. I haven't had a chance to watch it yet, since the internet here at work is awful, despite the fact that half of the people here are gone on holiday. So keep that in mind with my response, that I'm just talking about the reviewer himself and not this particular video.

I don't think he has any real automotive credentials other than being a "car guy" and doing a couple of shows. And hey, shows have commercials. Gotta make money somehow, right? He likes cars, drives them, writes about them, and shoots video about them. I guess sort of like Jay Leno but with way less money and way fewer cars. I can't really say that there's anything wrong with that, since he just gives his opinion, like every other reviewer does.

The fact of the matter is that most people aren't even good drivers. Shit most people aren't even mediocre drivers, let alone being able to drive fast. Most people wouldn't know how to approach and exit an apex if it hit them on the head. So while I think there are a lot of gearhead enthusiasts that see him dumbing everything down, most people just see it as normal talk that they can understand. I have plenty of friends who love cars but know nothing at all about them. Things that are obvious to us, as enthusiasts, are rocket science to people that don't know a thing about it. I think they're a lot of his target audience.
n2oinferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 05:05 PM   #20
LIKEABOSS

Drives: 2013 Boss 302 & 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyluka View Post

That just tells me the guy can't drive fast. If you have to correct a car in a corner when going fast that means you aren't being smooth enough. Adding more grip will not fix your inability to drive.

This is what I like about the stock car, it teaches you how to drive fast without relying on high grip + high power to correct your mistakes.

He also seems to be using the completely wrong type of shoe for driving. They look very big and heavy with a thick sole.
It also goes to show modding a car doesn't always produce better results. Since the tires pretty much covered that difference it's not saying much for the other "mods".
LIKEABOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 05:44 PM   #21
Frost
CASC-OR T.A. Director

Drives: '13 Prius, '22 BRZ
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2oinferno View Post
I don't think he has any real automotive credentials other than being a "car guy" and doing a couple of shows. And hey, shows have commercials. Gotta make money somehow, right? He likes cars, drives them, writes about them, and shoots video about them. I guess sort of like Jay Leno but with way less money and way fewer cars. I can't really say that there's anything wrong with that, since he just gives his opinion, like every other reviewer does.

The fact of the matter is that most people aren't even good drivers. Shit most people aren't even mediocre drivers, let alone being able to drive fast. Most people wouldn't know how to approach and exit an apex if it hit them on the head. So while I think there are a lot of gearhead enthusiasts that see him dumbing everything down, most people just see it as normal talk that they can understand. I have plenty of friends who love cars but know nothing at all about them. Things that are obvious to us, as enthusiasts, are rocket science to people that don't know a thing about it. I think they're a lot of his target audience.
I don't have a problem with making things more accessible to the general public. Heck, that's what the FR-S/BRZ was all about - making fun driving and learning to drive more accessible to the general public.

There are two ends of the spectrum of car reviewers - some guys are all tech and engineering (extremely rare to find one of these types that are also successful in the mainstream) and then there are guys that are all 'feel' and 'passion' and offer NO details on the specs - just pure unadulterated descriptive and subjective writing from behind the wheel.

Most mainstream guys are a hybrid of the two to appeal to almost everyone. MotorTrend for example, has always had a good blend of specs and very good descriptive journalism. EverydayDriver on the other hand, tends to focus more on the passion and subjective writing which tends to be fun to listen to their emotion.

Matt Farah on the other hand - is neither. His videos so far have offered no true technical insight and offers no impelling emotional response to something that I would enjoy hearing. This doesn't mean he's stupid, we have no way to tell what gets left out on cutting room floor, but it doesn't show his full potential either.

I would watch EverydayDriver any day of the week over Matt Farah's videos. I especially hate going through the one's where he sits in chair and chats with someone. There is absolutely nothing to be gained in most of them. Most.

I run Youtube on my TV so I go through a LOT of videos. MotorTrend, Car&Driver, EverydayDriver, Drive, etc.
Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 05:52 PM   #22
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
I don't there was anything terribly useful in that video...
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OrbitalEllipses For This Useful Post:
whataboutbob (12-18-2012)
Old 12-17-2012, 06:33 PM   #23
GTB/ZR-1

Drives: '13 BRZ in WRB--let's mod!!!
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
1.3 secs? That's it???

Seriously, I put a set of 245/17" Hankook RS-3s on lightweight 17s (approx same overall weight as stock setup) & picked up over 3 secs on a small autoX course--ALL else being stock...

And, Matt--stop letting go of the wheel!
GTB/ZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GTB/ZR-1 For This Useful Post:
Jedi1 (12-19-2012)
Old 12-17-2012, 07:14 PM   #24
RaceR

Drives: 2010 Cooper S, 74 Beetle
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyluka View Post

Yeah.. total noob. did not even use race gloves.. What was he thinking!?
RaceR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:21 PM   #25
Esoteric

Drives: FR-S|(2)AE86|TA22|E30M3|E36M3|BPLeg
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
If the message is that this car can be more than just a 'toy' and a drift mobile, then I am happy.

I guess I should watch the video first, but this car can be made to be a great platform for speed.

--To the above made points, I hope that that people use quality parts when tuning. I agree; too often, enthusiasts may add parts to their car, only to take away from the balance and poise a car (these cars) have in spades right out of the box.
Also, I would like to add for the guys who might be wondering about grip Vs. drift; leave that out of your head. Drift cars have a lot of grip, they are just setup in a way that the car performs more predictably and consistently while sliding. Drift cars must have grip to be under control at high speeds.
Esoteric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:44 PM   #26
carbonBLUE
Reverse Burnouts

Drives: 2013 Argento FRS
Thanked 1,257 Times in 592 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esoteric View Post
If the message is that this car can be more than just a 'toy' and a drift mobile, then I am happy.

I guess I should watch the video first, but this car can be made to be a great platform for speed.

--To the above made points, I hope that that people use quality parts when tuning. I agree; too often, enthusiasts may add parts to their car, only to take away from the balance and poise a car (these cars) have in spades right out of the box.
Also, I would like to add for the guys who might be wondering about grip Vs. drift; leave that out of your head. Drift cars have a lot of grip, they are just setup in a way that the car performs more predictably and consistently while sliding. Drift cars must have grip to be under control at high speeds.
grip + drift = smoke
no grip + drift = no smoke

thats why on stock 86 reviews you dont see any tire smoke, very little at best because

at drift competitions you see a TON of smoke, what does that mean... a TON of grip that the car overcame just to drift = mucho powa + grip

2000 Carbon Blue Toyota Celica GTS 152000 miles
(wont forget you)
2013 Argento Scion FR-S
2011 Infiniti G37x
carbonBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to carbonBLUE For This Useful Post:
Godzilla35 (12-18-2012)
Old 12-17-2012, 09:03 PM   #27
ST185RC

Drives: White Out FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
More unsprung weight with stock disc brakes? are those rims like 40lbs each or something?

That video showed absolutely 0 specs on what was changed. Useless video.
ST185RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:43 AM   #28
Godzilla35

Drives: Nissan GT-R
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
what's weird is that I talked to the guys at Endless at SEMA and they said that pad change is good enough for DD / some track and pad + rotor change will be GREAT. So, most people said BBK is just for show mostly or FI... I know that modified car wasn't significantly faster than stock... well because I drove next to him in mine on the Vegas strip haha.
Godzilla35 is offline   Reply With Quote